Royal Orchid Plus Or Minus

Pi Moo

The latest Royal Orchid Plus newsletter announced 'improved' upgrade awards. We have just purchased W class Economy tickets and now they cannot be used with the miles that we have accumulated to upgrade to Business class - some improvement! Not only that, W class now only accrues 50% of miles travelled so that we will no longer gain Silver status from our annual trip to Thailand. I'm not going to pay another £200 or so for a return ticket just to gain the meagre benefits of ROP.

In the old days discounted bucket shop tickets were Y,M or B class - now TG is de-grading its disocunted tickets to the nether regions. Perhaps they will also introduce a new sub-economy cabin with reduced seat sizes for V and W ticket holders.

ROP membership is the main reason why we have stuck with TG over the years. There must be many members in Europe who only fly to Thailand once a year and no doubt they will be reconsidering flying with TG.

When it started, ROP rules were a model of simplicity - unlike ticketing rules. The airline business has always been murky when it comes to ticketing and over the years I'm sure the complexity of ticketing has not benefited the customers. Judging by the poor profitability of most airlines it hasn't benefited them either. Hopefully one day Ryanair will fly to Bangkok - it might not be luxurious but at least you will know what you are paying for.

Royal Orchid has gone from Plus to Minus.

Or become an MP...fly for free and accrue miles.

News article (July 22, 05) from The Nation newspaper (in Thailand):

"THAI yields to MPs’ demands" (MP= Member of Parliament)

A House committee held a special session yesterday after Thai Airways International told MPs it planned to stop them accumulating frequent-flyer points on its domestic routes – which MPs fly for free.

The House committee on MPs affairs yesterday summoned Sorawanee Kuprasert, manager of the Royal Orchid Plus Department.

Phaichit Sriworakhan, deputy chairman of the House committee, said the panel had received complaints from several MPs after THAI counter staff informed said the airline would cease awarding MPs frequent-flyer points on domestic flights. “So we organised the hearing,” Phaichit said. “We were informed by Sorawanee that MPs would still enjoy the mileage accrual like other THAI customers.”

MPs are entitled to fly THAI domestic flights free of charge as Parliament wants to make it convenient for them to visit their constituents and attend parliamentary meetings. They can use the frequent-flyer points for international flights or transfer them to family members.

Phaichit said now that THAI had confirmed MPs would still get the points, MPs should apply for Royal Orchid Plus membership to get all the privileges for flying domestically. He said the House committee also asked THAI to allow MPs to fly business class instead of economy class. Phaichit said the House panel would also ask the Finance Ministry to consider allowing MPs to fly international flights for free on both THAI and other airlines.

I'm the last one who would try to defend TG but they do what others do.

With Qantas, the most proffitable fully fledged airline on the planet, what was previously enough to take you on FF points SYD-BKK is now barely good to get an upgrade from a full (not discounted fare) economy to biz.

TG may have done it without the gloves but nothing really to blame them.

Somebody counted: all the miles 2 million FF programme members in Australia hold, would need Qantas to fly for free, on all their routes, just to zero the liabilities.

In a perspective, anyone going once in their lifetime to London from Sydney could get a free return flight to New Zealand. 2-3 hours flight, like London-Athens.

Somebody counted:  all the miles 2 million FF programme members in Australia hold, would need Qantas to fly for free, on all their routes, just to zero the liabilities.

And 'The Economist' reckoned that all the unexpired airmiles world-wide, if redeemed, would be valued at greater than the U.S. national debt. Scary huh ! :o

And 'The Economist' reckoned that all the unexpired airmiles world-wide, if redeemed, would be valued at greater than the U.S. national debt.  Scary huh !  :o

The airlines could make that liability disappear on a moment's notice if they so desired since they have reserved the right to make any changes to their frequent flier programs at any time.

And 'The Economist' reckoned that all the unexpired airmiles world-wide, if redeemed, would be valued at greater than the U.S. national debt.   Scary huh !   :o

The airlines could make that liability disappear on a moment's notice if they so desired since they have reserved the right to make any changes to their frequent flier programs at any time.

Can't see that being viable. Unless they all to that at the same time.

When I was at 600K miles with OneWorld, redemeed them to BKK, any available class. Regained 100K miles afterwards and heaps more on StarAlliance.

If I were after the upgrade, it would be on SQ or NH.

My needs are modest - only 6 hours flights.

And 'The Economist' reckoned that all the unexpired airmiles world-wide, if redeemed, would be valued at greater than the U.S. national debt.   Scary huh !   :o

Can't see that being viable. Unless they all to that at the same time.

I don't think that would happen either, it's just an option that is always available should an airline feel like they are too deep in the hole. The airlines are far more likely to continue pursuing the same course they are presently on, make the price of award tickets/upgrades ever-higher. A move somewhat akin to a nation devaluing its currency. :D

Airlines that are not in the hole?

75% of US aviation are bankrupt, just a matter of time when it is going to be more.

Qantas ppl work for money, same do Cathay Pacific and Singapore.

How comes Americans are so deep in the trouble? Have Americans lost the sight of the world?

The worst crap anyone could fly with are US airlines, worse than mickey mouse countries and their flag carriers.

Where is the problem?

The irony lays that the aircraft were made in America. Pity the country that manufactured them has no idea ho to operate them.

I've said this before. Join another airline within the same group that you like. put all you miles on that one even if you fly the competitor. Use up all you miles on your old one. and voila problem solved.

Example: I've 200K miles on Thai. Joined Sing. put all the miles on my sing account even if i fly thai. ( many times, when I check in with Thai and give my Sing card they look at me and ask are you sure? They can see I'm a gold member on their screen) I tell them yes and add to explain that Thai gives bad service) :o

Use my miles on Thai to fly free to do my visa runs. :D

:D

The latest Royal Orchid Plus newsletter announced 'improved' upgrade awards. We have just purchased W class Economy tickets and now they cannot be used with the miles that we have accumulated to upgrade to Business class - some improvement! Not only that, W class now only accrues 50% of miles travelled so that we will no longer gain Silver status from our annual trip to Thailand. I'm not going to pay another £200 or so for a return ticket just to gain the meagre benefits of ROP.

In the old days discounted bucket shop tickets were Y,M or B class - now TG is de-grading its disocunted tickets to the nether regions. Perhaps they will also introduce a new sub-economy cabin with reduced seat sizes for V and W ticket holders.

ROP membership is the main reason why we have stuck with TG over the years. There must be many members in Europe who only fly to Thailand once a year and no doubt they will be reconsidering flying with TG.

Royal Orchid has gone from Plus to Minus.

According to their Newsletter they quote Members have expressed their opinion etc. and we have redone the V-W status @ 50 % air Mile awards. :D

and then they say......

Partners Airlines

On partner operated flights you earn the same miles as you do on THAI

Class of Service Actual Miles Flown

Class of Service Actual Miles Flown

Economy Class – Y, B, M, H, Q, T, K, S........100%

Economy Class (discounted fares) V, W.........50%

Premium Economy Class.............................110%

Royal Silk Class..........................................125%

Royal First Class.........................................150%

BUT

However, some discounted Economy Class fares with designated booking class codes, designated routes, or short haul flights may not qualify for full mileage accrual.

Airline Booking Class Accrual Percentage

South African Airways

All domestic flights and L,T,V,X...50%

Airline Booking Class Accrual Percentage Effective Date

Adria Airways S,W...........50%

T,L...........No miles

Air Canada

All domestic flights only

A,B,G,H,I,K,L,Q,R,T,U,V......50 %

All Nippon Airways..

B,G,H,K,L,M,S,W..............70%

T....................................50%

Austrian Airlines Group.

G,W,S............................50%

Q.............................70%

Asiana Airlines

V,W..............................70%

Blue 1 G,K,L,T,U,W.........25%

Croatia Airlines.S,W.......50%

LOT Polish Airlines G,W....50%

Lufthansa S,W................50%

T,L............................no miles

SAS.W,U,K,L,T,G............25%

Singapore Airlines

G,N,Q,R,V...................No miles

only a sample ..you need a calculator before booking.

Also have you ever noticed how hard it is to get a confirmed FLIGHT Status Class (above) from your travel agent...

ie ....Do I get miles on this ticket.?...Usual answer ...think so...errr....dont know...not sure...and finally...you need to check with the airline.... :o

Alai wa ? :o

You mean, V & W -class tickets on say Singapore-Airlines or Austrian, will still only get me 50%-airmiles on my ROP-card ? :D

Cunning b'stards.

But I still think it smells, when they're in financial-trouble, but still cave-in to the poo-yais and treat them better than the paying-customers.

And the airline that screws its high-mileage frequent-flyers, by ever cancelling their accumulated airmiles, is surely only a couple of steps from collapse. The adverse-reaction and bad-publicity would be enormous IMHO.

Not so quick.....cant seem to get a definative answer...Thai and Singa are in conflict......think no sa-speak to each other :D

This is part of a very nice reply I got from Millie at Singa Air in Singapore

According to their deals from Lon to Sing/Bangkok flight is classified as "W" which should give FULL air miles with Star A....but :o but not on TG....??wheras "V" on TG (as well as W gives 50 %)

I will call Thai A in their London office Roci Club again and see if I can get some sense..... :D

"For your information, flight sectors issued on "V", "Q", "G", "N", "X" or

"T" booking class on Singapore Airlines are not eligible for mileage accrual.

You may wish to consult your travel agent or our reservations staff for advice

on the most appropriate ticket for your needs and explaining the different

terms and conditions of the different fares to understand which suits you best.

Should you prefer to do an Online Booking, the terms and conditions of the

fare type will be shown to you. If the fare type is eligible to earn miles, the

number of miles will be made known to you before you enter your payment

details.

I hope this clarifies your concerns. Should you require any further

assistance,please send us an email.

Thank you for choosing to fly with Singapore Airlines and we look forward

to welcoming you on board our flights, again soon.

Yours sincerely

Millie.....

Manager Customer Services

Singapore Airlines - first to fly the A380. Visit us at

http://www.singaporeair.com