Smc7904wbra Problems

Uncle_Ho

Crushdepth or anyone else please help me ..

I just installed the wireless router and went to www.grc.com the rest the firewall .. the problem is every port is STEALTH but i still got a FAILED !!

This is why i got the "failed" -"Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation."

How could i prevent this in the router ? One more thing .. Before i got the router i was using Look n stop as my firewall (and it was great) .. i have since uninstalled the firewall since the router has one !! ... My point is .. do i need software firewall now ? Is the firewall in the router secure ?

In the channel and SSID .. for the channel i dont have "AUTO" but in the manual it says choose "AUTO" .. i just have 1 - 11 ... how can i have the "AUTO" back ?

Also do i need to do port forwarding for bittorent files using BIT comet .. someone told me unless i do port forwarding i will get very slow download speed !!

Thanx in advance your your valuable replies ..

Cheers !!

Hi Crush.

I don't actually have your router, but a quick glance at the online manual :-

To stop a reply to the ping try -

Advanced setup - Firewall - discard ping to WAN (enable it)

That should prevent the unit replying to a ping (if i'm reading to book correctly).

A NAT router is a natural obstruction to most attacks and with the built in firewall pretty much impenetrable (make sure you change the password away from the default). BUT I also use a software firewall for that warm fuzzy feeling, makes little difference to performance.

SSID - if what you have set is working, don't worry about 'auto' :o

You will have to set up port forwarding for bittorrent to work correctly try here for more information:-

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

although your router is not specifically mentioned there should be enough info to get you going :D

Enjoy.

Just to add - a software firewall is probably worth having, as it will also stop outbound traffic by spyware and your software's 'reporting home' features, which I don't think the router will do (though I could be wrong). Also, the firewall function of the router only covers the ADSL, not the WIFI (anyone connected to your wireless LAN is behind your firewall), so if its set up properly a software firewall can give you a bit of extra protection.

It doesn't hurt to have one :o

hi'

it's likel that your routeur doesn't block port 113, it's a common thing, it's not opened, just listening.

the best you have to do is to update the firmware of your routeur.

1.download the latest firmware (google routeur brabd name and go to support.

2.launch the update, follow instruction on screen and first follow what they say on the web site. it's often a menu in the routeur setup page that guides you through all the steps of upgrade.

3.reboot

4.go inside the routeur page and find in the security page :

Filter IDENT(Port 113): set it to enabled .

there you are :o

francois

Edited by francois