House Speaker Declines Thai MPs' Offer For Bt3,000 Salary Deduction To Help Japan

webfact

House speaker declines MPs' offer for Bt3,000 salary deduction to help Japan

House Speaker Chai Chidchob turned down offers by two MPs for the House to collect Bt3,000 from each MP to raise a fund to help quake/tsunami victims in Japan.

Chai said he could not carry out the donation collection as proposed because the election is coming up and MPs would need every single baht of money.

But he is willing to coordinate the donation if MPs make the donations on their own.

Pheu Thai MP proposed that Chai collect Bt3,000 from each MP while Democrat MP Watchara Phetthong proposed that Chai deduct the salary of each MP for Bt3,000 to raise the fund.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-15

A denotation of $100 dollars per MP is laughable considering that most of them are millionaires. The speakers comment is a joke as well, stating that the MP's don't have any spare funds with an election looming. :lol:

Japan will get the last laugh the next time Thailand comes with their begging bowl for a major loan. :D

Edited by merlin2002

Chai said he could not carry out the donation collection as proposed because the election is coming up and MPs would need every single baht of money.

How do you expect them to pay the people for their votes if they give any extra to the Japanese? :bah:

A denotation of $100 dollars per MP is laughable considering that most of them are millionaires.

Still, would have been 50,000 dollars. Could have helped :bah:

Edited by DP25

What the F am I still doing here?

You ask yourself a good question.

The tragedy is that the people referred to in the article are not your average Thais who understand suffering and problems associated with natural disasters and would be sympathetic to the Japanese people.

These politicians are a special breed, most being very wealthy and most of them if asked about the Japanese crisis would echo the immortal words of Rhett Butler in GWTW.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a dam_n!

just wondering if any of you guys spend some money to help the Japanese People????

you guys all write about the MPs but what about you??

Do something first or Shut up...

And what have you done?

I guess no one wants to go to the front of the line to be in first place. Right cracks???

Some might rightfully point out, that it is their tax dollar paying for aid sent to Japan over the past few days. Of course the MP's may be able to make the same claim, if they care to disclose what they pay in tax each year.

just wondering if any of you guys spend some money to help the Japanese People????

A fair point,

But at the end of the day the MPs are the leaders of the country. Their ambivalence shows a striking lack of the leadership, in fact it shows a very selfish attitude, Is this the example they should be setting to the rest of the people. Hardly admirable. :(

And what have you done?

I don t make stupid comments that what I have done

Epic fail

Yes, thank you for bringing up a good point. When the government is failed; it's up to the people. My wife and her co-workers have taken up a collection to buy blankets and as well as money to pay Thai Airlines to deliver them. They all share my embarrassment for the Thai government doing essentially nothing. Myself, I donated online what the rich selfish self-centered MP's could not bring themselves to give up in an election year to the Red Cross in Japan. I am also in constant contact with my friends in Japan; trying to share international viewpoints and insights with them about the developing nuclear crisis, so they can be better prepared if/when the fallout reaches Tokyo.

That is my answer (as of right now), what is your answer?

And what have you done?

That's two I count already :lol:

Your challenge is totally uncalled for as nobody here is claiming anything - we are all laughing at the obvious underhanded farce being reported...

These fat greedy ticks make a meaningless gesture to show their fellow citizens that they are concerned about Japan, solely with the intent of 'earning face' (3,000 baht is still a fair bit of cash to their constituents). It was a carefully measured gamble - no good offering say 100,000 each as this may have been accepted!!

Politicians are the same the world over but these cretins are just a little too isolated from the real world to realise they are making fools of themselves.

Edited by ParadiseLost

A denotation of $100 dollars per MP is laughable considering that most of them are millionaires. The speakers comment is a joke as well, stating that the MP's don't have any spare funds with an election looming. :lol:

Japan will get the last laugh the next time Thailand comes with their begging bowl for a major loan. :D

You got that right!

In the great scheme of things Thailand is not supposed to give anything to anybody. They know better than that.

The country is a whirlpool where cash from all over finds its way into the government's coffer.

Everything goes in, nothing goes out. Otherwise the sidewalks would be used by pedestrians not by motorcycles; street and hi-ways would be well paved; the police would not shake up motorists and merchants alike and would indeed protect and serve the citizenry; and there would be an animal control presence in a city of 11 million people where soi dogs rule and the impending threat of a rabies outbreak looms. These are some of the most blatant symptoms of neglect.

With those empty gestures to save face, to earn face, they think we'll never notice their true nature. :annoyed:

A denotation of $100 dollars per MP is laughable considering that most of them are millionaires.

Still, would have been 50,000 dollars. Could have helped :bah:

They could still do it on their own. Don't need a parlimentary act to donate. How many will though without getting some publicity? Probably none. Can buy a lot of little boys in the brothels for $50K! Don't give these corrupt degenerates any credit. They don't deserve it!

And what have you done?

Epic fail

LOL wallaby really so what have you done then .....

My point was, that everybody wrote or writes still bad about the Gov. but look at yourself first.

I can understand people who speak bad bud have donated something all ready, but not the other way around.

Never said that any of the Thai MP.s are good most of them are not, but as long as I did not make any donations etc.

I will not comment about this subject...

I do not understand why many of you expect Thai MP's to accept a forced donation. I have not heard this being proposed in any other country. Is this happening in your "home" country?

If it is being forced upon you, then it is not a donation.