Apply For 6 Month Or 12 Month Uk Tourist Visa

Hi I will be applying for 2 nd time tourist visa for my thai GF this July 1st timing it that she will return home on 30th dec with me for new year..6 months total.. Do I put a X in the 6 month box or 12 month box to allow the process to take place andthen she could go to the thai embassy in may as I have a flight that needs to be paid by then to get the price I am quoted.. Hope some one has idea for me

There is no reason why she cannot apply for a period of longer than 6 months, but she will need to show, among other requirements, a

Credible ongoing reason to visit. A successful applicant must demonstrate a frequent and sustained need to come to the UK, such as family links or an established business connection.

VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

However, if the only reason for doing so is to ensure that she gets the visa in time to travel in July then it would be better, I think, to apply early and ask for the start date to be deferred, which she can do for up to three months.

Remember that long term visit visa holders cannot spend longer than 6 months in the UK on any one visit nor can they, usually, spend more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK.

What is the point of getting a year visa if you can only stay in the UK for 6 months in 1 year? Seems best to just apply for a 6 months visa.

There is no reason why she cannot apply for a period of longer than 6 months, but she will need to show, among other requirements, a

Credible ongoing reason to visit. A successful applicant must demonstrate a frequent and sustained need to come to the UK, such as family links or an established business connection.

VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

However, if the only reason for doing so is to ensure that she gets the visa in time to travel in July then it would be better, I think, to apply early and ask for the start date to be deferred, which she can do for up to three months.

Remember that long term visit visa holders cannot spend longer than 6 months in the UK on any one visit nor can they, usually, spend more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK.

Useful for someone who wants/needs to make a series of short visits over the course of a year. Not every one wants or needs to stay the full 6 months in one trip.

my friend has just arrived wih his wife from thailand and applied for a 12 months tourist visa and it was granted but when he arrived at healthrow immigration asked him why he had a one year return ticket as the visa was only valid for 180days. he was told that he could leave the country and go to france just before it runs out and apply for another 6 months, is this correct as he was obvioulsy not aware that she could not stay here for the full 12 months.

Useful for someone who wants/needs to make a series of short visits over the course of a year. Not every one wants or needs to stay the full 6 months in one trip.

my friend has just arrived wih his wife from thailand and applied for a 12 months tourist visa and it was granted but when he arrived at healthrow immigration asked him why he had a one year return ticket as the visa was only valid for 180days. he was told that he could leave the country and go to france just before it runs out and apply for another 6 months, is this correct as he was obvioulsy not aware that she could not stay here for the full 12 months.

he was upset as he paid 12000 baht for a one year instead of paying just 3000 for a 6months

As I said before

Leaving the country and immediately returning may work, provided immigration accept that she has a valid reason for spending more than 6 months out of 12 in the UK as a visitor.

However, to enter France she will need a Schengen visa, and she can only apply for that in her country of residence; i.e. Thailand.

Sorry.