Do Thais Need A Passport To Leave The Country?

I'm going to Laos for a visa run soon and my Thai girlfriend wants to travel with me. We'll be there 2 or 3 days before heading back. She has only an ID card, no passport. There seems to be mixed opinions online as to whether or not Thais require a passport to do this. Mostly, it reads as all a Thai has to do is show an ID card, fill in a form and hand over a picture, pay a couple of hundred baht and it's all good. Is that still the case?

There is nothing gray about border pass entry. It is a government to government arrangement. And it is not uncommon at all. The US and Canada is a good example of this arrangement in first world countries.

Ok, so by the sound of it, everything should be fine with that. I'm going for a tourist visa run (which by all accounts should still be free,) and will have around 4000 baht left after getting to Vientiane.

Applying for visa first thing Monday morning, before returning to pick it up the following afternoon (Tuesday).. Can anyone recommend reasonable hotels and some kind of day tour or trip within or near to Vientiane? . Any tour company names, website links, general costs and information much appreciated.

There is nothing gray about border pass entry. It is a government to government arrangement. And it is not uncommon at all. The US and Canada is a good example of this arrangement in first world countries.

It used to be that way. Now passports are required all around. I have been up and back several times over the years. For a while it was just the USA that required even USA citizens to have a passport to return home! nitwitty. Now it is everybody with some exceptions.

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/passport_requirement.asp

Just to clarify - the question was if my Thai girlfriend needs a passport, not myself. As the others posted, an ID card is all that is required. This has nothing to do with returning to America or citizens of USA or Canada, so I'm not too sure on the relevance of your link to this. Hopefully it helped somebody....

It used to be that way. Now passports are required all around. I have been up and back several times over the years. For a while it was just the USA that required even USA citizens to have a passport to return home! nitwitty. Now it is everybody with some exceptions.

http://www.consular....requirement.asp

A passport is not required - it may be preferred but is not a requirement. Below is from your link -

U.S. citizens: A passport issued by the U.S. Government, a passport card, a valid trusted traveler program card (FAST, NEXUS, or SENTRI), an enhanced driver’s license (EDL), a Military ID with official travel orders, or a U.S. Merchant Mariner Document.

My Wife tells me can do at the bridge.

I just asked at Nong Khai you cannot do it at the bridge you must do it at the office in town.

Aren't there still a couple of small unofficial offices there at the van station that will handle the Border Pass for Thai, for a fee, of course, but not a large fee as I remember. My wife used to do this then we found out that using her passport was faster and cheaper.

Mac