Graphic Art Costs

eek

Anyone got any idea of base rates in general that freelance graphic artists charge here?

ie: Costs for logo design, promotional material and some follow up general graphics.

Any experience/ideas?

Thank you.

Thanks vacationman, i appreciate where you are coming from, but doesnt actually answer my question. (I dont mean that as an insult in any way! Its just that i need the info requested, if anyone knows, not that i need any external sources).

If anyone else knows, i would appreciate it. Thank you.

Edited by eek

They vary wildly. Depends on the specific project, the skill level of the person working on it, and very often how much they think they can get away with charging for something.

You also need to note that (in my experience) that a freelancer may not give you the best level of service when compared to an established company providing the same sorts of work. It just depends on who you are dealing with.

this info is for someone i know who would like to know what to charge a client. Not looking for a graphic artist or sources. Im a qualified graphic artist myself as well. Thanks.

this info is for someone i know who would like to know what to charge a client. Not looking for a graphic artist or sources. Im a qualified graphic artist myself as well. Thanks.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Eek,

Too bad you couldn't have stated this clearly in your first post so that you did not cause other people to waste time responding to you.

And, how could anyone, even a graphic designer themselves, suggest what another person performing graphic design should charge without knowing what their level of experience and accomplishments are ? Might as well consult tarot cards, or the I Ching.

best, ~o:37;

Don't you hate when you go to try n help a friend by asking for them on TV because they won't go on it n help themselves n then everything gets muddled? Such friends should owe me a dinner in the future, I think. I always get the same situation as you have here. Good luck, Eek.

When I read your original posting, I thought you were asking what others would charge YOU for their services, not that you wanted to know what to charge other people.

As has been said before, it depends on their skill levels, experience and a whole host of other factors including reputation, location and the level of quality and service they may or may not offer.

There is no simple answer for this other than to suggest you try to contact other freelancers and ask them what they charge for various services. We tend not to have "ballpark" costs for most projects but rather charge for what is actually involved in producing a project on an individual project basis. For example, you mentioned logo design . . . this could be a simple 10 minute job where all the client wants is some lettering typeset in a nice font . . . I wouldn't charge the same for this as I would for a client that wanted a full 3D rendering of a cartoon icon and 3D lettering for example even though in theory they are both logo design projects.

Don't you hate when you go to try n help a friend by asking for them on TV because they won't go on it n help themselves n then everything gets muddled? Such friends should owe me a dinner in the future, I think. I always get the same situation as you have here. Good luck, Eek.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun RealThaiDeal,

Don't you love it when a "White Knight" rides in, slays the Dragon, rescues the helpless "Princess," who was never fully responsible for her own behavior because she was, after all, either bewitched, or under assault by the fire-breathing ravening "Dragon," and then the Maiden swoons, and drops her scented lace handkerchief, which the White Knight then folds and puts next to his heart, in his armor, before riding off on his next quest ?

That's just so studly !

:)

Agreed. It's not really so hard to sign up on thaivisa. An imposter using my name did it with no problem at all.

You know, I once asked if anyone knew a source for a mechanical egg beater. I believe 47 responses explained why I didn't want one, other methods, and diatribes on eggs. Eventually, some kind soul, having read and understood the original post, answered. Seems it's like that. Now, if I understand it correctly,

" Costs for logo design, promotional material and some follow up general graphics." from the original post means baht. Could be responses come from customers or people in the business. Basically, HOW MUCH DO SUCH SERVICES COST?? In my country, we'd call a response requested a ball park figure, because we all know that reputations count and prices vary.

Has nobody had this kind of work done or done it - to the degree that they can specifically offer numbers, just as examples? I realize that OP has given up hoping for a responsive answer, but some might yet be of use.

Grandpa Grump

" Costs for logo design, promotional material and some follow up general graphics."

OK, logo design is clear, could be anywhere between 5,000 baht to 25,000 baht upwards depending on who you use, what you specifically require (text only is cheaper than a full brand identity package for example), how you want it to look and what level of quality and service you require. A freelancer would be cheaper generally but it depends on what the OP is looking for . . . cheap or good . . . using clipart graphics as we see so often here is NOT logo design as far as I am concerned. A proper logo design is researched for the specific market, developed and bespoke for that client for example.

As for promotional materials and follow-up general graphics . . . what specifically? A brochure? How many pages? A poster? A leaflet? A website?

You can't compare like for like based on price alone, you have to take into account all the other factors that go into the project and what you want to get out of it. If you want something quick, cheap and cheerful cos your "brand" is not that important to you, then a cheap freelancer might be the route to go. If you want on the other hand a logo or brand identity that is properly developed and researched, then you'll be paying more. They are NOT the same type of project though and should not be judged on price alone.

I've been in the design/website business for many years now and get this type of question all the time. There is no simple answer unless you get more specifics. It's the same as going into a car dealership and asking for a car and then asking how much, the price depends on what you want, as each car comes with different things and is used for a different purpose.

One question I hear all the time is "I need a website, how much????" . . . well, again, it depends very much on what you want to use it for . . . an eCommerce website would cost more than a simple static 1 page HTML-based website for example, but they are both "websites", but each is different in the scope of the project and the expectations of the client. Same thing applies to all the other materials. There are of course "ballpark" prices but they all depend on the specifics of the project as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Tatsujin

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Tatsujin,

Your above post, beginning with "OK, logo design is clear" is an eloquent summary of the nuances of graphic design, and contracting for graphic design, that many people are not aware of: based on what you've said, you would be first on our list to contact for such services.

Started work yesterday on a somewhat similar response to this thread, and will include it here now only in the "odd case" it "rounds out" your excellent overview:

< begun yesterday >

Khun Tatsujin has already given, we think, in his first posts, as clear an answer as possible to the original question asked, which was a bit ambiguous.

Once upon a time, before the so-called "desktop publishing revolution," it was much easier to say who and what a "professional graphic designer" was, but now it's a wide-open playing field, where anyone can set themselves up to do design, whether they have ever studied typography, and understand the use of "kerning" in display type, or understand what Pantone colors are, or have any inkling of what the implications of a certain design done for the web (for pixels on a screen) are for being translated into the physical world of ink on paper, or not.

Simple "rules of thumb" if you are seeking graphic design services in Chiang Mai we hope may be helpful:

1. ask to see a portfolio of a the designer's work, then verify they've actually done that work themselves. If they've done auxiliary printed materials: make sure you see them and closely evaluate the quality of paper, printing, the readability, the clarity of type, etc.

2. ask where they've studied: while this may be much less important than what your eyes tell you, looking at their portfolio (if you are sure the work they claim is theirs is actually theirs), if you know someone is a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design: hot dam_n ! You should be impressed, and ready to pony-up baht maak maak !

3. ask for a local reference of someone they've worked for

4. if the work you seek involves printed material, particularly involving full-color photography, this is where you really want to look closely at what the person has done before, and you sure want to know if the printer they used is local, and if they are still using the same printer. if the printing is "sub-contracted" out to some distant city, or if the artist is "switching local printers:" use your common sense, and perform "due diligence:" as in seeing samples the "new printer" has done of finished work.

We have seen books done here where what came back from the printer (local and "from outside the area, or country") was a disaster, and the opportunity to return hundreds of copies was, of course, non-existent !

5. You'll find, if you search here on this forum, many mentions of recommended local printers in Chiang Mai. It is a real good idea to visit some local pritners, and see samples of what they have done: if you see something that "rings your bells," ask them who designed it: just might lead you to someone who really fits your particular design needs.

6. Any graphic designer, in our opinion, should be happy to meet with you for an initial consultation at some reasonable fixed fee, and work out a specification with you of work to be done.

They should be willing to use their knowledge to help you articulate what you need now, and, perhaps even more important, to help make you aware of how your future needs may affect your initial investment in design services. Web site today: envelopes, letterhead, packaging tomorrow ?

7. A graphic designer who does not have a portfolio, or is "new to the game," well, we wouldn't rule them out, we'd just ask them to provide some sketches, or samples, based on the spec of our project: we'd expect them to "audition" for our business, and to prove they were competent as they met specific deadlines, or project "milestones."

And, it's very possible that someone who is just starting to "make their mark" in this area, may "knock themselves out" for you, and do a superb job at a much lower cost than an "established" designer, or design-house.

8. In any case, we'd make sure they, at every stage of the work, gave us copies of the original digital work they were doing, as in PhotoShop, or Illustrator, originals, not just bit-maps they've "rendered" from the original files at fixed resolution.

We've seen "ugly" disputes before where a "falling out" developed between client and designer, and the designer held the high-resolultion originals, leaving the client "up the creek."

Hope this is helpful.

Without getting into real specifics about the type of work to be done, we agree, with Khun Tatsujin, that cost estimation cannot be reduced to a simple one-size-fits-all "sound-byte."

Simple printing in one or two colors is one thing, four-color separations of photographs which must be printed on high-quality paper stock, perhaps enameled, is a whole different universe.

A logo design, if not done using "vectors" (using a program like Adobe Illlustrator, where the logo can then be scaled to any size without loss of fidelity), can be useless if your current, or future, requirements demand using that logo at different sizes (for example, on letterhead, on envelopes, on packaging, on other printed promotional materials).

But, the great thing for "consumers" today is that so many well-done designs are available free, or at low-cost, to use from sites like www.deviantart.com, and there's lots of low-cost stock photography available which you can use without concern for copyright violation. Templates for web-sites are often freely given away on sites like www.smashingmagazine.com/, and these are often high-quality !

For doing things, like a blog on the web, there are many well-done "graphic themes" available for free, or at low cost via such delivery vehicles as WordPress, etc.

There's no reason someone seeking to economize an initial outlay on a website, or blog, shouldn't do some homework, find a template, or a set of design ideas they like, and meet the graphic designer to contract for a limited set of services in which they will customize these elements you've found. Again, we think if your needs include printed materials that gets into another "ballpark."

p.s. the real name of this human has appeared in the about boxes of products from Adobe that are used by almost every graphic designer in the world, today. Said human does not claim to be a "graphic designer," out of the great respect he has for the "real" graphic designers he's been privileged to know including, among many, Russell Jones, Rudy Vanderlans, Peter Max, Zusanna Licko, and the typeface designer, Roger Slimbach. He was only a mere programmer, and he "dabbles" at graphic design, although he is proud to say he feels he has become somewhat competent in typographic design.

Ok, what would I get for 10k then?

You could purchase about 700 liters of fresh Chiang Mai home-made soy-milk. Will leave it to UG to translate 10k into burgers for you.

Anyone got any idea of base rates in general that freelance graphic artists charge here?

Unfortunately, there are no 'standard rates' for such work anymore.

You see, it really is a dog-eat-dog world out there these days. Some teenager in Calcutta might do you a better job for $10 than a western graphic artist will do for $200. It really is hit and miss and this is why it's always a good idea to go with those freelancers (or companies), who have a good portfolio and a host of positive testimonials from previous customers.

Websites like Digital Point forum, Warriors forum, or bidding projects such as Peopleperhour.com, as a few examples, are all good places to get a feel for the market and the kind of prices folks are charging for the various types of work. It's important to note however, that there is no 'standard' price, just as there is no fixed length to a piece of string. We have virtual globalisation to thank for that!

HOW CAN I MAKE MONEY IN THIS BUSINESS?

So your somewhat 'shy' friend Eek, might be asking how he is able to make money in a business with such an erratic pricing structure? The answer is reputation, purely and simply. Folks don't enjoy spending hours, or days even, searching for capable individuals or companies online. Often times, people would sooner pay a higher price if they knew for certain that the work would be top notch, on time, and without hassles. What's more, both new and repeat business would be forthcoming once an individual has established themselves in the game as 'the one to go with'.

Once he (or she), has built up some credibility in their field, then work will come their way by the recommendation of others and by a striking online display of previous jobs along with a string of impressive testimonials from happy customers.

Reputation isn't simply won by ability alone, but by meeting promised deadlines on, or before the promised due date. An easy payment system (preferably Papal) is also crucial, as is listening to the customer's needs specifically (something many do NOT do).

Perhaps most importantly is that of interaction. Responding to emails promptly, and without the plethora of excuses made for delays in communication (so common with many freelancers), will put anyone light years ahead of the competition.

Hiding behind cyberspace, as the OP's friend seems to be doing right now, is not a good start. Open and active interaction with potential customers and other like-minded individuals is the only way to commence online reputation building.

Hope that helps ;)

Aitch

@Aitch - nicely put. For me here it's all about reputation and quality of service. For those that don't want to pay the prices we charge (which are not unreasonable) then they are free to move on and work with the (sometimes) cheaper and (I'm afraid to say mostly) unreliable freelancers. I'm not saying that ALL freelancers are unreliable, but if you spoke to some of our clients about this you'd get the impression that no one is to be trusted or relied upon here, and that many times, money is paid and nothing is delivered or if it is, it is of a very low standard.

I'm reading between the lines here and guessing that the original OP asked about pricing because they wanted to (or are already doing) freelance work and wanted to know what others charge so they can pitch their pricing at a suitable rate. That's fine, just bear in mind that as a freelancer you simply can't charge as much as a "company" would that's not going to disappear in the next week with the clients money and not having delivered anything. Companies have spent time and money building reputations, getting good staff, have generally got a solid portfolio of different work behind them and therefore can charge a little more for their work as the client can "see" what they are getting for their money.

One option for the OP's "friend" is perhaps not to deal directly with the clients, but rather outsource their skills to an existing design company.

I paid 6800 for a logo and that was with a 20% discount.

The artist is Thai and has a degree in art but has his own website and media company.

He gave made samples of the logo he designed based on my ideas and then from there we adjusted and fine tuned.The process took a while.

The normal price is 8000. I feel it was worth it.

For a website he has a base price and then charges per page. He has done my private biz website and 2 work related ones.

For mine it is an eCommerce sight and he was brilliant.

Best of all for updates he charges 300 baht an hour and pro-rates it

He made a few designs before I picked one i was happy with. I liked having a choice of completely different designs.

you can go to his website and see his work.

His English writing and speaking is fluent and he will make sure YOU give him everything he needs content wise so HE can finish it. Instead of you asking him when will it be done!!! Definitely a huge bonus!

www.bybrain.com

He is in Phuket and it should be noted his Website also is in perfect English.

LOVE THE FIVVER website though!! Could be handy for random jobs!!!! Thanks for that tip!!!

Hi MayaDD,

I think you're one of the first Russian residents here in Chiang Mai, so welcome. It seems there are lots of graphic artists here but you know what Chiang Mai is really missing? A Russian restaurant. Maybe an opportunity there for you or one of your friends. I would certainly patronize it. Anyhow. good luck with your graphic arts venture.

Edited by Phil Conners
quote from deleted post removed

Hi Maya,

Good luck, there's some nice work on there. I don't want to put a dampener on things, but if you are working "freelance", i.e. no WP, then you might want to think twice about advertising so obviously online as I know these Forums and others are checked by the relevant agencies on occasion.

Tats

I paid 6800 for a logo and that was with a 20% discount.

The artist is Thai and has a degree in art but has his own website and media company.

He gave made samples of the logo he designed based on my ideas and then from there we adjusted and fine tuned.The process took a while.

The normal price is 8000. I feel it was worth it.

For a website he has a base price and then charges per page. He has done my private biz website and 2 work related ones.

For mine it is an eCommerce sight and he was brilliant.

Best of all for updates he charges 300 baht an hour and pro-rates it

He made a few designs before I picked one i was happy with. I liked having a choice of completely different designs.

you can go to his website and see his work.

His English writing and speaking is fluent and he will make sure YOU give him everything he needs content wise so HE can finish it. Instead of you asking him when will it be done!!! Definitely a huge bonus!

www.bybrain.com

He is in Phuket and it should be noted his Website also is in perfect English.

LOVE THE FIVVER website though!! Could be handy for random jobs!!!! Thanks for that tip!!!

MisterMan,

Does ByBrian also take care of ...what is this term...so that people can find your website on Google?

And you communicated only by email?

You can adjust the content yourself?

Does ByBrian also take care of ...what is this term...so that people can find your website on Google?

And you communicated only by email?

You can adjust the content yourself?

You are talking about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) which is NOT simply a case of throwing in some keywords and a description into a website. This will not get you top 10 rankings on Google. It's a very lengthy involved process that will usually cost far more than your website originally to be done effectively and to show good results.

Thank you for warning) Yes I haven't thought about it.

I will tell Moderator to rub this post)))Does anyone know who's moderating here?

Hello, lannarebirth))

Speaking about Russian Restaurant, surprisingly there is one!

Not long time ago I'v seen a testimonial in our Russian Chiang Mai Communitie ( there are plenty of Russians here by the way)))))

let me translate, if you are interested:))

"This small Russian Authentic Home food restaurant belongs to Aleksei, we had a very nice conversation with him for about an hour after I'v finished lunch.

It is very clean, quite place with competent Chef, pleasant menu and gorgeous food design

It;s very easy to Google it: the place is situated on Huay Kaew on a 1st stare of The Dome Residence

The humain traffic is rather low so you should call in advance or be prapared that famour Russian Borsch can be finished.

You can try there all famous Russian dishes like:

Borsch, Schi

Layered salads

Fermented home-styled cabbage, cucumners etc.

Theу are serving really big portions

Lunch bill 195B"

Bon appetit)

• 2 weeks later...