A Long Weekend Out Of Bangkok

woodyuk

Hi

Its my bday soon and want to take a long weekend out of Bangkok. Friday > Monday. I have been here 3 months and still not left. I am not really up for taking a flight - all the hassles etc. So was think Pataya, however from what I read it more designed for girls and its pretty dirty. So any other advice? Do not mind taking a night train, or renting a boat for a long trip. Looking for a 5star quality island resort (cost not an issue), some swimming, snorkling, good food etc. I know I could go down way south - was just wondering what was close and good to Bangkok?

Thanks

Edited by woodyuk

Hi

Its my bday soon and want to take a long weekend out of Bangkok.  Friday > Monday.  I have been here 3 months and still not left.  I am not really up for taking a flight - all the hassles etc.  So was think Pataya, however from what I read it more designed for girls and its pretty dirty.  So any other advice? Do not mind taking a night train, or renting a boat for a long trip.  Looking for a 5star quality island resort (cost not an issue), some swimming, snorkling, good food etc.  I know I could go down way south - was just wondering what was close and good to Bangkok?

Thanks

How about Hua Hin?

Koh Chang is a good option,but is still likely to be very wet for a while yet.If you want to know more check out iamkohchang.com.

Also consider Koh Samet which is closer and dryer.

Pattaya is good for a long weekend,and if you want the beach try Koh Larn just a 20b ferry trip off shore.Pattaya for whatever some people say about it is firstly a thai city so there are plenty of things to do without getting involved in the seedier side of the nightlife(if you don't want to).

There are some excellent restaurants,shopping,cinemas and tourist venues.Try it and make up your own mind.

I found Hau Hin which has a nice Hilton hotel there, got some good reviews!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2...pa-Hua_Hin.html

there is a Dunst from lhw.com but reviews do not seem to be good. Will HauHim be rainy ? wanted some sun :-) ... let me check out Koh Samet ...

Thanks

Koh Chang is a good option,but is still likely to be very wet for a while yet.If you want to know more check out iamkohchang.com.

Pattaya is good for a long weekend,and if you want the beach try Koh Larn just a 20b ferry trip off shore.Pattaya for whatever some people say about it is firstly a thai city so there are plenty of things to do without getting involved in the seedier side of the nightlife(if you don't want to).

There are some excellent restaurants,shopping,cinemas and tourist venues.Try it and make up your own mind.

Edited by woodyuk

ok found these two places - both look amazing.

http://www.amari.com/emeraldcove/

www.aanaresort.com

However u said weather would not be good ? :-( ... also seems quite a way from Bangkok. How would you get there ? Car / Boat ? Was planning on hiring a limo. However if I could get a speed boat from bangkok that would be good 2.

I found Hau Hin which has a nice Hilton hotel there, got some good reviews!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2...pa-Hua_Hin.html

there is a Dunst from lhw.com but reviews do not seem to be good.  Will HauHim be rainy ? wanted some sun :-) ... let me check out Koh Samet ...

Thanks

I agree with you on Pattaya, but like others have said, it is not too hard to avoid the parts you don't like. Even Jomtien is not bad. I stayed at Mountain Beach Resort. Not a bad place, and cheap. It was a short walk to this cool little beach. Really nice.

But I have to admit I love Koh Chang and Samet. Hua Hin is nice also. I have stayed at the Hilton. Nice and very convenient. But very big. Great pool!

My friend recently went to Koh Si Chang. He said it was pretty nice. Has anyone else ever been there? It is VERY close to BKK.

My friend recently went to Koh Si Chang.  He said it was pretty nice.  Has anyone else ever been there?  It is VERY close to BKK.

I have been, it's very nice and quiet, good for a very quiet break away, maximum 2 days though really as not much to do. There is a nice temple built into the side of a hill, the wife liked it loads. There is a nice beach on the far side of the island.

I would also recommend eating at Pan & David's restaurant. Good food and wonderful hosts. They also have some accomodation (which we didn't use but will next time ) If you want any details PM me and I will try to to find them.

gallery_8857_242_70681.jpg

gallery_8857_242_94417.jpg

gallery_8857_242_37262.jpg

totster :o

My friend recently went to Koh Si Chang.  He said it was pretty nice.  Has anyone else ever been there?  It is VERY close to BKK.

I have been, it's very nice and quiet, good for a very quiet break away, maximum 2 days though really as not much to do. There is a nice temple built into the side of a hill, the wife liked it loads. There is a nice beach on the far side of the island.

This is in Sriracha right? How do I get there? How long drive from Bangkok?

Thanks.

This is in Sriracha right? How do I get there? How long drive from Bangkok?

Thanks.

It's about 30mins or so (I think, could be wrong) before you get to Pattaya. Go into Sriracha and get a boat from the pier. Have to leave the car in Sriracha.

totster :D

not qualified to comment on the Pattaya side of the gulf but over in and around Hua Hin there is plenty to do if you like the outdoors. Golf courses are better than adequate and not too crowded this time of year, wind/kite surfing is good with the right weather, great bicycling all around the outskirts of Hua Hin and Cha Am and even a little hiking or bird watching to be found.

Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott and Dusit all have properties in Hua Hin if you like that style and there are dozens of other less expensive & less corporate options. Some very nice boutique places just south of the town centre.

I've a condo 18 km north of Hua Hin which puts me 5 km south of Cha Am and i really think i have the best of both worlds. My two favorite golf courses are just a bit closer and the cycling is great with very little traffic in the area. The beach is usually empty and clean and numerous restaurants to try. The old palace on the beach is worth a visit and there is even a new environmental park(altho i don't know what that means exactly) Taxis to either town are easy to find and relatively inexpensive .

There is a new Veranda Hotel just down the beach....have had a few drinks in their beautiful bar.....very trendy looking place with lotsa Bangkok BMWs and the like parked on the weekend....i'm sure they have a website. Also just up from my place is a neat looking boutique hotel called CasaPapaya(they might have a website)......i spoke with the owners a couple yrs back and they were great folks....looked like a nice place for a romantic getaway

anyway, enjoy the weekend....