Great News

Thats really great news. Does anyone know if we are going to get another 7/11 soon? Fingers crossed. :blink:

The franchise for 7/11 in Thailand is the Charoen Pokphand Group, which in turn grants franchises to operators. There are 5,790 7-Elevens in Thailand, half of which are in Bangkok, making Thailand have the 3rd largest number of stores after the US and Japan. Charoen Pokphand Group plans to open 450 to 500 new outlets in 2011, bringing its total to reach 6,200 or 6,250. It will create about 5,000 new jobs.(Wikipedia).

Your prayers are answered smokie, Samui is bound to to enjoy a few more 7/11's out of the 500 being planned for this year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In the few seconds the page took to load I had the whole place pavemented traffic lights sleeping policemen proper lighting all the way to Bophut and a 24 hr taxi stand 50 yards from the bar. :)

You forgot to add the fresh fruit stall, grilled sausage stall and pancake vendor to name but three all within yards of the door.

Edited by yorkie100

Thats really great news. Does anyone know if we are going to get another 7/11 soon? Fingers crossed. :blink:

The franchise for 7/11 in Thailand is the Charoen Pokphand Group, which in turn grants franchises to operators. There are 5,790 7-Elevens in Thailand, half of which are in Bangkok, making Thailand have the 3rd largest number of stores after the US and Japan. Charoen Pokphand Group plans to open 450 to 500 new outlets in 2011, bringing its total to reach 6,200 or 6,250. It will create about 5,000 new jobs.(Wikipedia).

Your prayers are answered smokie, Samui is bound to to enjoy a few more 7/11's out of the 500 being planned for this year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No not me carmine just likes the cheap ice cream. :D

Lets not get ahead of ourselve here. Thing are getting better but we still need a few more opticians, tailors and massage parlours. Throw in a few more bars for good measure as theres not nearly enough :huh: a couple more craters in the middle of the road and i reckon its all hunky dory. :unsure:

Lets not get ahead of ourselve here. Thing are getting better but we still need a few more opticians, tailors and massage parlours. Throw in a few more bars for good measure as theres not nearly enough :huh: a couple more craters in the middle of the road and i reckon its all hunky dory. :unsure:

You missed out the lack of bike rental shops, bottles of gasoline (all safely corked to prevent accidental explosions)stalls, travel agents and money exchange booths. B)

You missed out the lack of bike rental shops, bottles of gasoline (all safely corked to prevent accidental explosions)stalls, travel agents and money exchange booths. B)

That would be utopia would'nt it. Lets just pray they don't tarmac the road, put in sleeping police and sort out the drainage. :jap:

More good news (seriously), Just driven through Banrak and near the Samui Mermaid at the small airport road junction, half a dozen SMART BIB (obviously not from Samui) stopping everyone for not wearing seat belts/helmets/not having tax disc etc.

There must be a couple of dozen or more bikes and a few cars pulled off the road, their owners presumably being fined.

Seen this before maybe once every couple of months or so. Don't know where the cops come from, presumably Suratthani.

More good news (seriously), Just driven through Banrak and near the Samui Mermaid at the small airport road junction, half a dozen SMART BIB (obviously not from Samui) stopping everyone for not wearing seat belts/helmets/not having tax disc etc.

There must be a couple of dozen or more bikes and a few cars pulled off the road, their owners presumably being fined.

Seen this before maybe once every couple of months or so. Don't know where the cops come from, presumably Suratthani.

WHAT?

Real policemen on Koh Samui?

Amazing Thailand :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Some of the 7-11 locations are just pure silliness.

For example the 2 ones just outside Petchbancha boxing stadium which is about 50m from eachother.

Many places in Bangkok, there's 7-11 on opposite sides of the road maybe 10-15m from eachother, such as just outside the soi of my house (soi to Bangkok Hospital).

Don't know where the cops come from, presumably Suratthani.

Yes, they were from Surat. Seems the forward sharing chain is broken and they had to go come and collect by themselves.

Hopefully they share upwards or we'll have the Bkk speedway BiB's here as well.

Don't know where the cops come from, presumably Suratthani.

Yes, they were from Surat. Seems the forward sharing chain is broken and they had to go come and collect by themselves.

Hopefully they share upwards or we'll have the Bkk speedway BiB's here as well.

ah, the ever so fit and slim Bangkok traffic police

police+fat.jpg

I know that policeman who was in charge, he work here in samui for years...

I know that policeman who was in charge, he work here in samui for years...

What a responsability! What was his general opinion regards the task of implementing the law here. Does he think it'll catch on? :lol:

For example the 2 ones just outside Petchbancha boxing stadium which is about 50m from eachother.

Many places in Bangkok, there's 7-11 on opposite sides of the road maybe 10-15m from eachother, such as just outside the soi of my house (soi to Bangkok Hospital).

But they are still in business, and I remeber when they first opened about 5 years ago, so going longer than most of the usual foreign owned business like bars etc............7/11 is like gas station and supermarkets, always got people in them.

But they are still in business, and I remeber when they first opened about 5 years ago, so going longer than most of the usual foreign owned business like bars etc............7/11 is like gas station and supermarkets, always got people in them.

True to a degree but all they are really doing is diluting each others profits untill eventually a number will start closing down due to the all consuming greed of the Samui land owners.

True to a degree but all they are really doing is diluting each others profits untill eventually a number will start closing down due to the all consuming greed of the Samui land owners.

The UK government cut back years ago on building roads...the reason, new roads create more traffic....its the same with 7/11........new ones create more customers, hard to believe but true.

true, and i have seen a few shut down in the past.

but regardless of how many 7 -11 and family marts there are , they always appear to be busy.

• 9 months later...

Posted 2011-03-22 12:45:33

Just what the town really needs. ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif Another Family Mart and Morya pharmacy soon to open next to Samui Pier Resort.

In the meantime the not too long ago small and quiet Plai Laem fresh food market next to the pier developed to one of the most crowded and popular markets on this island with guided tourist groups, traffic jams, parking shortages, a handful of ATMs, 2 Family Marts, a medium sized Thai supermarket 9up, a Tesco Lotus Express ... keep on counting