Great News

Some of the 7-11 locations are just pure silliness.

For example the 2 ones just outside Petchbancha boxing stadium which is about 50m from eachother.

Many places in Bangkok, there's 7-11 on opposite sides of the road maybe 10-15m from eachother, such as just outside the soi of my house (soi to Bangkok Hospital).

I think the idea is that if you walk out of a 7/11 then you should be able to see another one. 7/11 also want to provide their own GPS.... Continue for 27 7/11's, turn left, you have reached you destination.

From Wikipedia, a bit outdated but scary:

Thailand

The franchise in Thailand is the CP ALL Public Company Limited, which in turn grants franchises to operators. There are about 6,000 7-Elevens in Thailand, half of which are in Bangkok, making Thailand have the 3rd largest number of stores after the US and Japan.[25] CP All, the operator of 7-Eleven convenience stores in Thailand, plans to increase their number to more than 7,000 stores by 2013. Managing director Piyawat Titasattavorakul stated that the company will invest Bt1.5 billion annually to open at least 500 new 7-Eleven stores in each of the next two years. CP All will also invest Bt1.5 billion this year (2011) to increase the number of 7-Eleven convenience stores from 6,000 currently to 6,300 outlets by the end of 2011. "We expect the total number of convenience stores operated by all players in the Kingdom will increase significantly from about 10,000 today to between 50,000 and 60,000 stores in the next 10 years," Piyawat said.[26]

From Wikipedia, a bit outdated but scary:

Thailand

The franchise in Thailand is the CP ALL Public Company Limited, which in turn grants franchises to operators. There are about 6,000 7-Elevens in Thailand, half of which are in Bangkok, making Thailand have the 3rd largest number of stores after the US and Japan.[25] CP All, the operator of 7-Eleven convenience stores in Thailand, plans to increase their number to more than 7,000 stores by 2013. Managing director Piyawat Titasattavorakul stated that the company will invest Bt1.5 billion annually to open at least 500 new 7-Eleven stores in each of the next two years. CP All will also invest Bt1.5 billion this year (2011) to increase the number of 7-Eleven convenience stores from 6,000 currently to 6,300 outlets by the end of 2011. "We expect the total number of convenience stores operated by all players in the Kingdom will increase significantly from about 10,000 today to between 50,000 and 60,000 stores in the next 10 years," Piyawat said.[26]

Wow. How long before 90 day reporting can be done at 7-11?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ah you all for got to say about the New Tesco Express going in in Bangrak, Now the people coming over from KP only have to get off the boat Seatran or Haadrin Queen and go down the road and do shopping and then get back on the boat and head on back to KP

Some of the 7-11 locations are just pure silliness.

For example the 2 ones just outside Petchbancha boxing stadium which is about 50m from eachother.

Many places in Bangkok, there's 7-11 on opposite sides of the road maybe 10-15m from eachother, such as just outside the soi of my house (soi to Bangkok Hospital).

But they are still in business, and I remeber when they first opened about 5 years ago, so going longer than most of the usual foreign owned business like bars etc............7/11 is like gas station and supermarkets, always got people in them.

True to a degree but all they are really doing is diluting each others profits untill eventually a number will start closing down due to the all consuming greed of the Samui land owners.

true, and i have seen a few shut down in the past.

but regardless of how many 7 -11 and family marts there are , they always appear to be busy.

Just so there's a bit more competition, TESCO Express have just opened, opposite the pier and market..

Ah you all for got to say about the New Tesco Express going in in Bangrak, Now the people coming over from KP only have to get off the boat Seatran or Haadrin Queen and go down the road and do shopping and then get back on the boat and head on back to KP

One Tesco in Thong Sala and the first Tesco Express on the way in Srithanu, (opposite 7eleven LOL)

One Tesco in Thong Sala and the first Tesco Express on the way in Srithanu, (opposite 7eleven LOL)

By the way Angiud - the new Tesco Express opposite the pier in Bangrak has coke zero in stock (cans and 1.25 ltr bottles.)

By the way Angiud - the new Tesco Express opposite the pier in Bangrak has coke zero in stock (cans and 1.25 ltr bottles.)

Coke Zero?? finally, 4 months in the waiting...thought we were never going to see it again! cheers mate.

• 1 month later...

More great news, this time for Plai Laem.

The old post office (it only ever opened for around two weeks) at the corner of Soi 8 is currently being converted in to a Family Mart, should be open within a week I guess.

That means us Laemians will now have a choice like everyone else and are not limited to the 7/11. drunk.gif

For the reasons of curiosity and pure boredom, I had always wanted to travel around the island with my GPS and geotag every 7-Eleven and Family Mart - just to see exactly how many there really are... Then I thought, I could note the address and contact details of each one (yes, I have a lot of time on my hands) and make a directory... Then I thought, 'What's the point? All you need to do is go to a road and look left, then right - you're bound to see one or two!'

The old post office (it only ever opened for around two weeks) at the corner of Soi 8 is currently being converted in to a Family Mart, should be open within a week I guess.

That means us Laemians will now have a choice like everyone else and are not limited to the 7/11. drunk.gif

Although there is already one on the corner of Soi Thongsai - opposite the other 7/11. (They seem to go round in pairs now! Hmmm)

Yes - bit of a shame that the Post shoppie did not ask the real post office if they were going to open up nearby. They closed as soon as the PO in Choengmon opened.

BTW I like the Laemians bit giggle.gif

• Like 1

finally, there are only six 7/11 and 4 Family Marts between Bangrak and Choen Mong, and a Tesco, a 9up and other local supermarkets.

That crossroad next to the new one into the narrow small soi, has been already dangerous. Now with the people and parked vehicles to come properly even more.

finally, there are only six 7/11 and 4 Family Marts between Bangrak and Choen Mong, and a Tesco, a 9up and other local supermarkets.

That crossroad next to the new one into the narrow small soi, has been already dangerous. Now with the people and parked vehicles to come properly even more.

Not forgetting the new tarmac road just laid which allows for even faster driving wherever it's been laid.

I fear there are going to be a lot more white road markings left by the police designating just where the bike and the body lay when they arrived at the scene.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you in Plai Laem - the wait is over.

The new Family Mart officially opened yesterday to the usual fanfare of balloons and loud music. partytime2.gif

Strange though - the old 7/11 (50 meters further down the road) also had balloons and loud music. That 7/11 has been there for years.huh.png