Tot Adsl

CNX

After backing off for a few years until the broadband market settled, I finally ventured into TOT SilverCyber with their B1000 modem/router. I am not a whizz regarding this technology. Speed is stated @100.0Mbps. I have done a couple of 'real speed' tests & have had much difficulty in accessing popular websites eg Yahoo Mail, ThaiVisa & Numion (internet real speed calculator) in the evening - CANNOT ACCESS ISP). Numion has tested between 67Kbps & 113Kpbs.

A solution? New router? Upgrade to GoldCyber? On pre-paid cards, @ least I could connect to Yahoo Mail etc in the evening. Any suggestions? I live in Chiang Mai.

After backing off for a few years until the broadband market settled, I finally ventured into TOT SilverCyber with their B1000 modem/router. I am not a whizz regarding this technology. Speed is stated @100.0Mbps. I have done a couple of 'real speed' tests & have had much difficulty in accessing popular websites eg Yahoo Mail, ThaiVisa & Numion (internet real speed calculator) in the evening - CANNOT ACCESS ISP). Numion has tested between 67Kbps & 113Kpbs.

A solution? New router? Upgrade to GoldCyber? On pre-paid cards, @ least I could connect to Yahoo Mail etc in the evening. Any suggestions? I live in Chiang Mai.

You 100Mbps speed is not your internt speed, it is the speed that your computer is connected to the router via the ethernet port. Also most speed tests on the internet are inaccurate here purely because most are based so far away (marjority in the us). Your speed is rated at 512/256kbps up/down with silver cyber. That gives you a theoretical max download speed of 64KB per second and 32KB per second for upload, don't expect to get more than around 80% of this on a good day.

If you are plagued by page cannot be displayed errors etc when you think it should be working, you could try some different DNS servers, that has helped for me in the past.

There have been several suggested addresses posted here already, I am using using these two right now:

Hope this helps abit.

You 100Mbps speed is not your internt speed, it is the speed that your computer is connected to the router via the ethernet port. Also most speed tests on the internet are inaccurate here purely because most are based so far away (marjority in the us). Your speed is rated at 512/256kbps up/down with silver cyber. That gives you a theoretical max download speed of 64KB per second and 32KB per second for upload, don't expect to get more than around 80% of this on a good day.

If you are plagued by page cannot be displayed errors etc when you think it should be working, you could try some different DNS servers, that has helped for me in the past.

There have been several suggested addresses posted here already, I am using using these two right now:

Hope this helps abit.

Thanks Pomthai! Until today, I would have known ZERO about this matter. Firstly, I should congratulate TOT. Today, 2 of their staff came to my condo. They checked speeds etc & advised that my server was quite good. (However, I will retain your suggested addresses for future reference).

To display my total ignorance, I sighted my server on www.adslthailand. If I wished to change the address, what would be the steps?I only accessed ADSL yesterday for the first time & it is delightful. How could you cope without it? That being said, I will 'sit' for a month & then review. What a life!

when you say you sighted your server on adslthailand what do you mean.. Are you hosting a website or what kind of server ??

No. I accessed adslthailand.com & it shows you which server address you are connected to. I know a little more than zero about this technology but it seems that the server can change @ any time as controlled by the provider? During the day, ADSL ran beautifully. Tonight, I cannot access Yahoo Mail. I checked the website again & it appears that the provider no/address has changed eg during the day, I was on 203.188.24.73. Later, I was on 203.114.103.236 & then 203.188.26.78.

My speeds per the above website are OK eg overseas - download speed is 240kbps & upload is 70kbps (New York). Locally, the bandwidth is 440kbps but then it calculates download @ 55.01kbps.

Frustration & ignorance!

A little crash course :D

The numbers you're mentioning (203.114.103.236) are the ip-adresses assigned to you by True.

Thats why they say you have a dynamic ip instead of a fixed ip adress.

Everytime your router logs on you'll get an ip adress assigned out of a stack of available numbers!

This does not mean you get connected to a different server!

However it might be that your traffic gets routed a bit different when the second set of 3 numbers changes, resulting in better or worse performance...

The speeds mentioned with internet connections is a bit of a numbers game :o

Your connection speed is expressed in kilo bits per second (kbps)

This number is used by the ISP's selling you a connection package, e.g. 512/256 kbps

When you are downloading, your computer will indicate the speed in kilo bytes per second (kBps)

1 byte = 8 bits

So if the speed test tells you you are connected at 440kbps, they are correct to state you can download at 55 kBps, since 55 kilobytes are exactly 440 kilobits (55X8=440)

Thanks Monty. I see the light!

'dynamic ip' provided the student with a natural conclusion. Accept it the way it is. In fact, tonight has been reasonably good. The only problem site was 'Yahoo Mail'. I can wear that. That is why we are in Chiang Mai - life is somewhat slower - similar to our thinking?

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this helps abit.

Hi all,

I have TOT gold service and TOT's 4 port router modem and suffer from the above at different times of the day. Like CNX I dabble a bit but I'm not a computer expert, so if i changed the DNS addresses how do I do that?

Also I have trouble accessing Yahoo mail from time to time. But what is really bugging me with Yahoo is being unable to upload attachments to my outgoing emails. I have free zonealarm and free AVG antivirus. Is the attachment problem to do with Zonealarm??

:o

Hi,

Any tech guys help?

I have TOT gold service and TOT's 4 port router modem and suffer from the above at different times of the day. Like CNX I dabble a bit but I'm not a computer expert, so if i changed the DNS addresses how do I do that?

Also I have trouble accessing Yahoo mail from time to time. But what is really bugging me with Yahoo is being unable to upload attachments to my outgoing emails. I have free zonealarm and free AVG antivirus. Is the attachment problem to do with Zonealarm??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks, this is a good tip. I set up these DNS server addresses yesterday and have noted that the page not loading errors have all but disappeared, plus the overall page access speed is much, much improved. :o

It will depend on your operating system but try opening Properties for your network connection, then look at the Properties for TCP/IP protocol. There should be a setting for selecting DNS servers there.