Expat Woman Who Pays Too Much For Everything Says Bangkok Expensive

Boater

Satire

THONGLOR – Bangkok is a terribly expensive city, according to Madeleine Grady, an American expatriate who pays too much for everything she buys. I'm still in shock at the prices here. Our rent is over four thousand (dollars) a month!" she said, referring to the 4-bedroom high rise she shares with her husband and two young children on Thonglor Soi 12, which she found through a real-estate broker who specializes in executive expat home-finding. "We paid far less in Altanta, and had a nicer garden."

Furnishing the 320-square meter apartment has also proven to be expensive, largely due to Grady's tendency to shop at either the European bespoke design shops in her neighborhood, or browse for "Thai-style" accessories at Paragon Passage Exotique, which sources cheap domestic textiles and marks them up 600% for unknowing foreign buyers.

Grady, who buys her groceries at Villa in J-Avenue mall, was also amazed at the price that she thinks Thai people pay for fruits and vegetables. "A hundred baht for celery, and five hundred for cherries," she recalled, failing to note that her selected items were not native to Thailand and were imported by air from Australia to satisfy the needs of Western and Japanese customers. "They told me fruit was cheap in the tropics but it sure isn't from where I'm standing."

Not The Nation

8 March 2011

http://notthenation....gkok-expensive/"

further reading here

Edited by sbk
title made bold

.... and the price of imported cheese in Siam Paragon Mega-Luxury Gourmet market is astronomical and don't even get me started on the cost of a BMW X5 in Thailand.

And my Burmese housekeeper who lives in a window-less cupboard costs me almost 10,000 Baht a month and she expects to be paid overtime to look after our delightful children!

Outrageous!

You people kill me. Read the very first word. How can you miss it? It's red, big and bold!

Satire.

And another hint at the end, "Not The Nation."

This is further concrete, incontrovertable evidence that people believe whatever they read. Even when told from the start it's not true. We're doomed.

Edited by happyrobert

You people kill me. Read the very first word. How can you miss it? It's red, big and bold!

Satire.

And another hint at the end, "Not The Nation."

This is further concrete, incontrovertable evidence that people believe whatever they read. Even when told from the start it's not true. We're doomed.

OK everyone...Its spank the yank time....:rolleyes:

Thank you happyrobert, I was just going to post that but you beat me to it. :)

so to reiterate, its NOT THE NATION and NOT real news. So, please get drop the hyperbole and take it for the joke it is.

I think it's extremely funny, but I have to admit there is some truth in the whole thing. Try buying real cologne, cell phones, cheese or clothes that actually fit a westerner. It does get expensive. The value for broadband isn't there, and if you want quality in this city you have to pay for it. I have thought this city is expensive, but then I have to remember I'm in a developing country. But fruit is super cheap here, as well as many other things. Funny, but I think it's partially true!

so to reiterate, its NOT THE NATION and NOT real news. So, please get drop the hyperbole and take it for the joke it is.

Its no use sbk. By page three posters will be offering out their spare rooms in sympathy! :D

I probably know or at least have passing acquaintance with 100 people that live the lifestyle described (and I may be one as well) and not a single one of them complains about the prices they pay. They are all happy to be making the money to be able to enjoy the lifestyle. Nor does a single one of them think they buy the same things that most Thais do.

Otherwise, a pretty funny article that expresses the envy of most expats here towards those that are on full packages at home country salaries for positions that are well paid no matter where they work, overseas or not.

;)

TH

I think it's extremely funny, but I have to admit there is some truth in the whole thing. Try buying real cologne, cell phones, cheese or clothes that actually fit a westerner. It does get expensive. The value for broadband isn't there, and if you want quality in this city you have to pay for it. I have thought this city is expensive, but then I have to remember I'm in a developing country. But fruit is super cheap here, as well as many other things. Funny, but I think it's partially true!

Unless you are buying Mangosteen in Phuket which is going for 350 - 400 bahts per Kilo at the moment!

She and her husband are obviously way out of their depth... Sounds like a farang real estate shark got the first bite. I have a 4 storey dwelling near the river with a/c rent per month 7,500 b or 250 US dollars.

Hello Charansanitwong!

Is that soi mainly commercial and industrial or residential too?

I am looking for something like that to use one floor for living quarters and the rest as an art studio. I paint, sculpt and refinish antique furniture. We are a couple of adults, male and female and we both have our own art styles.

I will appreciate more info about the soi number and such. Thanks!

Its no use sbk. By page three posters will be offering out their spare rooms in sympathy! :D

In defense of the early responders, the format of the original post was difficult to read and not as seen now.

Oh gee, another farang wannabe in Bangkok without the wallet to back it up! There's a reason Atlanta is so cheap! No one wants to live there! Stop complaining and live within your means. Easy to do in Bangkok! See all you Thai readers - not all farang rich!

She and her husband are obviously way out of their depth... Sounds like a farang real estate shark got the first bite. I have a 4 storey dwelling near the river with a/c rent per month 7,500 b or 250 US dollars.

Wow, your a lucky tenant, 4 story near the river and a/c ! . . . .surely you can't be anywhere near Bkk ?

I pay 8,500 for a bungalow in unfashionable Samuprakarn, admittedly it has a/c, and the little garden is pleasant to look at, but there are so many things wrong with it, that we have to move, but houses at a reasonable rent are few and far between, or very grim. And the closer one gets to trendy Bkk the higher the rent, natch.

Edited by Velocette

In defense of the early responders, the format of the original post was difficult to read and not as seen now.

True. The big red "Satire" was a touch smaller.

Still BIG and RED and the first word of the OP.

But I can understand how some readers would miss it, as a lot of them ignore most of what is posted and just see what they want to see.

True. The big red "Satire" was a touch smaller.

Still BIG and RED and the first word of the OP.

But I can understand how some readers would miss it, as a lot of them ignore most of what is posted and just see what they want to see.

There was no red "Satire" big or small when it was originally posted. I do suppose it could have been written in black but the original post was difficult to read with a continuous string of <BR> etc trash mixed in.

However, I'm in full agreement of your last sentence, and no excuses after the first person or two!

Edited by beechguy