Beung Kan Becomes Thailand's 77th Province

webfact

Which country in the world with a land area somewhat smaller than France sees a benefit in maintaining 77 tiny provinces?

I know the answer: Thailand!

The reason? Local bureaucrats and politicians demand their own little fiefdoms that they can prey on financially.

Another case of "Amazing Thailand" indeed. As if 76 provinces weren't already more than enough.

Victoria, Australia, with a population of about 5.5 million people, has 79 local municipalities/councils each with their own offices, each looking after the local roads, each looking after the inhabitants of the area.

Decentralized is one of the ways that's for easy and flexible management as I have learnt. but i can't recall the guy who wrote this text book....

Edited by dunkin2012

Which country in the world with a land area somewhat smaller than France sees a benefit in maintaining 77 tiny provinces?

I know the answer: Thailand!

The reason? Local bureaucrats and politicians demand their own little fiefdoms that they can prey on financially.

Another case of "Amazing Thailand" indeed. As if 76 provinces weren't already more than enough.

Victoria, Australia, with a population of about 5.5 million people, has 79 local municipalities/councils each with their own offices, each looking after the local roads, each looking after the inhabitants of the area.

Decentralized is one of the ways that's for easy and flexible management as I have learnt. but i can't recall the guy who wrote this text book....

Was it Yeltzin ??B)

long live Beung Kan! Congratulations for at least give it a try!

I hope they will not only make good roads but also a new BRIDGE between Thailand and Laos..

this would be one basic move towards their goal to become an important place..

the question is only how long it will take until corruption will overshadow their aspirations..

now that they are free they might loose their focus pretty quickly..

have you been to Beung Kan?

Aren´t some of those roads way to huge?? it´s almost a joke- not sure they have a master plan..

yes and my biggest wish is that they will have a Tesco-Lotus there very soon!

Tesco and mobile phones is what really changes life in Thailand!

I am all for it. Let Beung Kan become an alternative to Bangkok!