Racism

brommers

Although the use of the phrase seems to be in decline, I think "Uncle Tom" is still used to insultingly to refer to black people who are too deferential to the dominant white culture (American context). Typically used by black people to insult OTHER black people. Much rarer for a non-black person to use the term, as a non-black racist towards blacks would use harsher words and not really be concerned about specifically insulting deferential blacks.

There are similar terms to refer to "over assimilated" minorities for other minorities. Such as banana for an Asian, yellow on the outside, white on the inside. Not the same historical baggage as Uncle Tom of course. Trying to think of similar term for Jews, but all I can think of that are close are lox and bagel Jew (a Jew whose only connection to Jewish identity is a taste for lox and bagels), High Holy Days Jew, etc. In that gay world, perhaps "closet case" and there are probably others.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spanish Inquisition would have been proud of you. He's denying it Pedro, torture him some more and we'll get the truth......

The Spanish Inquisition??............

“NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.”

The Spanish Inquisition would have been proud of you. He's denying it Pedro, torture him some more and we'll get the truth......

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again."

Cardinal Fang, fetch...THE COMFY CHAIR

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again."

Cardinal Fang, fetch...THE COMFY CHAIR

I confess, I did it...but society is to blame.

The phrase "Black Man" is not a racial slur by any stretch of the imagination.

Really? - I think you should consider why you need to call someone "black" or any other color - most cases "man" is enough.

......and as for "your black friend" - ????????

Edited by Deeral

from WIKI -

Darlie, also known as 黑人 ("black person") and formerly known as Darkie is a toothpaste brand of the Taiwan-based company Hawley & Hazel, which was acquired in 1985 by the US corporation Colgate-Palmolive, although the product is not marketed by Colgate-Palmolive. Darky, or darkie, is a term used primarily in the United States and Britain to refer to black people, and is generally considered a racial slur. The package featured an image said to have been inspired by an Al Jolson performance, that of a wide-eyed, smiling dark-skinned black male wearing a top hat, monocle and bow-tie; very similar to the Golliwogg in its racist caricature. Because of the contrast with very dark skin, it was a common misperception that the teeth of people of African descent were exceptionally white

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlie

I asked a fellow at the gym if he had seen Frank lately and he did not know who I was talking about. I said black Frank from England and he said that he had been there earlier in the morning. "Man" just would not have worked and referring to someone as black or white or yellow is not always racist. :whistling:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Where's this 'Uncle Tom' come into it?

Uncle Tom was initially mentioned by another poster.

no one has called any black man an 'Uncle Tom' as far as I know and no black man has called a white man a 'Honky'

The point is that giving a product a racist name is offensive to many.

I had a black friend over the other day - one of the 20 or so in town - and he wanted a drink while helping solve a computer problem. I had Sangsom, an all-around favorite, but his eyes lit up when I offered him a vodka tonic made with some of my Uncle Tom's vodka. He was grinning so big he insisted I take a pic or two of him with the bottle for Facebook. He was fine with it. That's old news and so outdated it's kitsch. If my friend the black man was cool, why should I, the brown guy get my panties in a bind on his behalf?

The message was - We can all loosen up.

No, the message is that you and your black friend weren't offended and had a drink and that's it. It doesn't mean that other black or white people wouldn't be offended.

why should they be offended? at what? an Aussie called me a 'Pom' the other day - and what? get a life! with all the pain and crap in the world? the killings? the torture? you are worried about this? jeeze

how is "pom" a racial slur?

I had a black friend over the other day - one of the 20 or so in town - and he wanted a drink while helping solve a computer problem. I had Sangsom, an all-around favorite, but his eyes lit up when I offered him a vodka tonic made with some of my Uncle Tom's vodka. He was grinning so big he insisted I take a pic or two of him with the bottle for Facebook. He was fine with it. That's old news and so outdated it's kitsch. If my friend the black man was cool, why should I, the brown guy get my panties in a bind on his behalf?

The message was - We can all loosen up.

No, the message is that you and your black friend weren't offended and had a drink and that's it. It doesn't mean that other black or white people wouldn't be offended.

why should they be offended? at what? an Aussie called me a 'Pom' the other day - and what? get a life! with all the pain and crap in the world? the killings? the torture? you are worried about this? jeeze

If an Aussie calls an Englishman a POM it is not meant to be racist but a term like mate and if you get called a pommie bastard well you have really clicked and life long cobbers. Same as the term kiwi, yank.

If an Aussie calls an Englishman a POM it is not meant to be racist but a term like mate and if you get called a pommie bastard well you have really clicked and life long cobbers. Same as the term kiwi, yank.

black too... I don't like being called a Pommie but I won't cry about it - i hate being called 'mate' too - and yanks don't like being called yanks.

black too... I don't like being called a Pommie but I won't cry about it - i hate being called 'mate' too - and yanks don't like being called yanks.

So do you or do you not consider POM to be racist slur - if so [please explain - so seem to be making irrelevant comparisons here

Really? - I think you should consider why you need to call someone "black" or any other color - most cases "man" is enough.

Really

http://www.blackmeninamerica.com/

http://www.blackman.com/

Unfortunately the answer to racism isn't as simple as pulling out a few quotes from Google - it require a lot more than that.If yuo think that referring to these sites in anyway mitigate your omments you fall way short of a real answer

Really

Unfortunately the answer to racism isn't as simple as pulling out a few quotes from Google - it require a lot more than that.If yuo think that referring to these sites in anyway mitigate your omments you fall way short of a real answer

We are all at some time racist to one degree or another. Failing to recognise this suggests there is a problem.

Racism is a form of ignorance based largely on fear arising from misconception, misperception and the resulting prejudices.

Those who flatly deny that they or something they said or experienced is/was racist are in reality revealing own racist tendencies and their own self-ignorance and self- denial.

As I said before thy tend to refer to glib “sound bites” and catch phrases to cover up their own lack of understanding.

In a way racism is like alcoholism - you can’t do much about your own alcoholism until you admit to yourself you are and alcoholic.

Those who dismiss their own racism are doing much the same thing

i hate being called 'mate' too -

Same here, unless it is used by someone I know, if I don't know them it's a no no, especially Indian tailors in a fake Aussie accent.

...and you consider this a racial slur too?

Normally one has to come to the conclusion that those quoting google on a thread do so because they know nothing about the topic and have to do a quick search in the hope of finding something that justifies their opinion. A kind of "post hoc" thing - make you argument and then look around for something that might support it.

.....some people love to be offended and activly search for anything to satisfy that desire...... they then need to share their indignation in an attempt to achieve a sense of moral superiority.

So are you agreeing or disagreeing - you're observation doesn't make it clear

...and therefore we should conclude you are sayiing which comments on racism are wrong and why?

Edited by Deeral

i hate being called 'mate' too -

Same here, unless it is used by someone I know, if I don't know them it's a no no, especially Indian tailors in a fake Aussie accent.

...and you consider this a racial slur too?

No, I consider it punch in the face annoying.

Normally one has to come to the conclusion that those quoting google on a thread do so because they know nothing about the topic and have to do a quick search in the hope of finding something that justifies their opinion. A kind of "post hoc" thing - make you argument and then look around for something that might support it.

Well since you get so indignint over people using Google, and say that the only reason they do that is that they know nothing about the topic :whistling: . Since the topic is Racism, are you a racist? Is this why you know all there is to know about the subject? :rolleyes:

Well since you get so indignint over people using Google, and say that the only reason they do that is that they know nothing about the topic :whistling: . Since the topic is Racism, are you a racist? Is this why you know all there is to know about the subject? :rolleyes:

I hink you should take some reading lessons or hone up your deductive skills

I hink you should take some reading lessons or hone up your deductive skills

Gee what did I miss? The part where you say "Normally one has to come to the conclusion that those quoting google on a thread do so because they know nothing about the topic" Pretty self explanatory I think.....nothing wrong with my reading skills, I even read it twice. :rolleyes:

The rest was more tongue in cheek.

Really

QED!If you think that this clip in anyway supports some point you ae trying to make (what IS the point BTW?) - I have to say it doesn't.It does however indicate to me that you haven't the faintest idea of the issues surrounding racism - (nor incidentally, can you see past Stevie Wonder being black).

It does on the other hand underline my previous postulation that those without a clue on a subject try to cover up their ignorance with facile links obtained trough Google that they have somehow misconceived as relevant.

I have to conclude therefore that any informed conversation on the subject with you would be impossible - a case of pearl before swine, don't you think?