Vending Water Not Up To Standards: Thai Health Dept

webfact

Vending water not up to standards: Health Dept

By The Nation

Only 70 per cent of bottled water and drinking water from vending machines has passed quality standards set by the Department of Health, directorgeneral Dr Somyos Deerasamee said yesterday.

"The problem lies with contamination. Contaminants include heavy metals and bacteria," he said.

Contaminated water causes various diseases including diarrhoea and typhoid, he said.

Only 40 per cent of water from waterutility services, artesian wells, rain and shallow wells passed the department's quality requirements, he said.

Somyos advised people to boil or add an appropriate amount of chlorine to water before drinking it. "Keep drinking water in clean containers. If the containers are large, you still have to clean them every six months."

He said people who use water purifiers should regularly replace the filters.

"Regarding bottled water, please stick to products certified by the Food and Drug Administration," Somyos said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-24

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Keep drinking water in clean containers. If the containers are large, you still have to clean them every six months."

the clue is to drink running water, and not still.

there use to be times, when you could drink water from the river and canals - it's gone, since some 40 years ago they started to use extensive agricultural techniques, pesticides etc

Edited by londonthai

Somyos advised people to boil or add an appropriate amount of chlorine to water before drinking it.

You can't advise people to add an appropriate amount of chlorine without telling them what an appropriate amount is (any guesses what that amount would be?)....... even then they'll probably get it wrong and the whole of Thailand will resemble February in Chiang Mai.

70% only?

Why should I pay more for this low quality drinking water?

What about in 7/11? There are many brands of bottled water to choose from. Any clues?

40% for water supply utility?

Pretty low indeed. ..

most of restaurants in Thailand don't care to use clean water.... Eatin' out here in Thai is to destroy your health.....

I want them to check restaurants , food courts and street stalls too.

I really doubt.... Will it be lower than 40% passin' the quality requirements,FDA?

Edited by dunkin2012

I don't think in terms of bottled water this should be a big surprise. I remember reading not to long a test in the USA of bottled water and something like 25% had levels of certain chemical and or bacteria that exceeded health standards while another 20% was simply tap water they bottled. The vending machines also had issues but I think that mainly came down to machines that were not serviced regularly.

I personally go for using the vending machine in BKK. Never had a problem but the one I use I know they replace the filters regularly. Heck of a lot cheaper and it doesn't add to the used plastic problems. I switched about a year ago and went from spending 200 baht a week to 15 baht for the bottled water we use in the house.

Even if you are buying name brand bottled water there is just no way to know somebody is not filling those bottles from a hose at the local distributer. So, unless you are going to boil your own water and/or add drops to it there is really no way to know it is safe. The one thing I do do is keep it refrigerated ... not sure if it actually does anything but figure the cold should help kill off some things.

It is a shame too because BKK's water filtration system has very high standards but the problems are the pipes ones it leaves the treatment center. Something to keep in mind too is typically when you are dealing with pipe issues you have much worse contamination problems during rainy periods.

By vending machines, do they mean the reverse osmosis systems?

We do use this water only for tea/coffee or cooking. For drinking only use bottled?

When I lived in the wids of Korat, used stored rain water all the time for drinking. Liked the taste, never got ill.

jb1

Only 40% of rainwater passed quality test? Talking about air pollution. So, how many swimming pools out there are unsafe?

It actually says, "Only 40 per cent of water from waterutility services, artesian wells, rain and shallow wells passed the department's quality requirements"

Kind of BS because I highly doubt all those things fall within 40%. Would have been nice to know which percentage each was rather than appearing to average the percentage of all. I am also guessing they don't mean rain water but rain wells but really doesn't matter because it could be 1% good or 95% good given they appear to have averaged the numbers for all these.

Edited by Nisa

At one time, I was buying drinking water in those big translucent plastic bottles. The last bottle I bought had mosquito larvae swimming around inside the bottle. I now run rain water through my own filters.

At one time, I was buying drinking water in those big translucent plastic bottles. The last bottle I bought had mosquito larvae swimming around inside the bottle. I now run rain water through my own filters.

Probably the best bet but a hard option living in a BKK condo. I would also think (nothing scientific to back it up) that rain water is still very clean after the few minutes of a heavy rain filters all the crap out of the air.

Somyos advised people to boil or add an appropriate amount of chlorine to water before drinking it.

You can't advise people to add an appropriate amount of chlorine without telling them what an appropriate amount is (any guesses what that amount would be?)....... even then they'll probably get it wrong and the whole of Thailand will resemble February in Chiang Mai.

I didnt know you used chlorine in drinking water ( im no expert ) but i remember i had the taste of chlorine, in Florida once, and i asked locals why the water tasted look pool water, no one knew :-]

so how much pool water should we drink today ?

i bet the bottles are better, :-]

Only 40% of rainwater passed quality test? Talking about air pollution. So, how many swimming pools out there are unsafe?

How many people drink swimming pool water on a regular basis. Drink as opposed to swallowing a few drops whilst swimming. My dog drinks from the pool everyday and is healthy :bah:

Like most things in Thailand a lack of enforced regulation means that traders in bottled water could be selling contaminated water and there is no way to tell -- till you get sick.

For example we have a regular supplier for our bottled water. If I were suspicious how would I go about having the water tested in Thailand.

70% only?

What about in 7/11? There are many brands of bottled water to choose from. Any clues?

Pretty low indeed. ..

most of restaurants in Thailand don't care to use clean water.... Eatin' out here in Thai is to destroy your health.....

I really doubt.... Will it be lower than 40% passin' the quality requirements,FDA?

"Regarding bottled water, please stick to products certified by the Food and Drug Administration," Somyos said.

Namthip bottles is marked on the labels by the Ministry of Public Health. I don't see anything certifying by the food and drug adminstration. So where do we find the food and drug adm. stamp on the water bottles??

In the past people added wine or vinegar to water to make it safer to drink, now campers use iodine or hypochlorite tablets to purify suspect water. however a simpler solution is to use silver, just place a silver (real silver) coin in your water tank.

http://www.doulton.ca/silver.html

I didnt know you used chlorine in drinking water ( im no expert ) but i remember i had the taste of chlorine, in Florida once, and i asked locals why the water tasted look pool water, no one knew :-]

I am pretty sure in the all of the US (not just Florida) that all the public drinking watter is chlorinated by law. Not sure if they put chlorine into bottled water but I would think in most cases not when the bottled water is sold as natural spring water. But has to make you wonder if you only drink bottled water if you are more likely to have a bacterial infection since the reason they put chlorine in the water is how well it is at killing bacteria ... then again they used to put fluoride in the water in some places too.

All water in the US is chlorinated, but I don't know about Europe, Australia and Canada. Mexico does not chlorinate, and that country is likely to give one the Hershey Squirts, aka Trots, Montezuma's Revenge, than we will get from bottled water in Thailand. If you taste chlorine anywhere in the US, its normal. Exception to the rule is San Diego Calif. where it does taste like swimming pool water. I don't know why that city has so much chlorine in it. I tend to worry more about how much flouride is in the water. Google that for its side effects. It's not pretty.

I am not so worried about bacteria.

I am worried about heavy metals and pesticides/insecticides/fertilizers, industrial pollutants.

Boiling water will kill bacteria, but not remove heavy metals and chemicals.

If you get a bacterial gut infection, you will get the runs for a day or two, and after that you'll be fine.

It may even make your immune system even stronger!

For severe cases, there are antibiotics, but such cases are typically acquired from undercooked meat that is not fresh, not potable H2O.

Heavy metals and chemicals will not make you immediately sick in low concentrations,

but years later come the cancers, organ failures, and other irreversible health problems after sufficient exposure.

Edited by TungnaaTom

How many people drink swimming pool water on a regular basis. Drink as opposed to swallowing a few drops whilst swimming. My dog drinks from the pool everyday and is healthy :bah:

Like most things in Thailand a lack of enforced regulation means that traders in bottled water could be selling contaminated water and there is no way to tell -- till you get sick.

For example we have a regular supplier for our bottled water. If I were suspicious how would I go about having the water tested in Thailand.

I have a water tester and since you are a man after my own heart going by yoiur profile name, i would be happy to let you use it. I live in Rawai.

It will surprise you, I tested, tap water, water from the 5 gallon drums that yuou can buy at any shop, singha water bought from the 7/11 and evein water from the 7/11.

By far the worst was the bottle of Singha, then the 5 gallon bottle, then the tap water and the best was Evian. So after years of buying the cheapest bottled water from the shops, I am now converted to Evian, as with everything else, you get what you pay for.

WATP.

70% only?

Pretty low indeed. ..

The article was about VENDING water, you know the machine, put in a coin, fill your own container for cheap....

70% only?

Pretty low indeed. ..

The article was about VENDING water, you know the machine, put in a coin, fill your own container for cheap....

All water in the US is chlorinated, but I don't know about Europe, Australia and Canada. Mexico does not chlorinate, and that country is likely to give one the Hershey Squirts, aka Trots, Montezuma's Revenge, than we will get from bottled water in Thailand. If you taste chlorine anywhere in the US, its normal. Exception to the rule is San Diego Calif. where it does taste like swimming pool water. I don't know why that city has so much chlorine in it. I tend to worry more about how much flouride is in the water. Google that for its side effects. It's not pretty.

actually, I think a majority of places in the world today are using chlorine...I had a bit of tap water off my toothbrush while recently in both Nepal and India (2 of the worlds' poorer and filthier water countries), and was surprised to taste a fair amount of chlorine, a far cry from the past...I think governments are stepping up some of their water efforts...however, i still wouldn't want to regularly drink this water. In developing (and developed) countries, there can be the problem that the pipes that the chlorinated water passes through are not cleaned and full of dangerous bacteria...

We do use this water only for tea/coffee or cooking. For drinking only use bottled?

When I lived in the wids of Korat, used stored rain water all the time for drinking. Liked the taste, never got ill.

jb1

Have you heard of the acid rain? Please stop drinking it...

you will live longer.....

jb1

liked the taste? water shouldn't taste of anything....

70% only?

Pretty low indeed. ..

you are wrong too the topic is for the water from vending machines but in the body talking about "Only 40 per cent of water from waterutility services, artesian wells, rain and shallow wells"

I know what a vending machine is... but you didn't thoroughly understand my thread .... if you read mine. I said what about 7/11? All aplogies for what I said if it leads confusion...

70% only?

Pretty low indeed. ..

Namthip bottles is marked on the labels by the Ministry of Public Health. I don't see anything certifying by the food and drug adminstration. So where do we find the food and drug adm. stamp on the water bottles??

Yep.... Many of them don't mark FDA.....

Can they buy FDA ? corruption...!

I distill my own... Does not get any better....

Excellent! And true, even better than properly-functioning RO which is the only other method that will remove heavy metals, PCBs, pesticides, drug metabolites, water softening cations etc.

Chlorination and UV only kill microbes.

What is your setup?

"Keep drinking water in clean containers. If the containers are large, you still have to clean them every six months."

the clue is to drink running water, and not still.

there use to be times, when you could drink water from the river and canals - it's gone, since some 40 years ago they started to use extensive agricultural techniques, pesticides etc

I should keep this secret, I never buy water but I have more than 2 litres a day...how is this possible???

being an engineer and somewhat of inventor in solving daily problems, here it goes...ready...all you people have air conditioners right? I put it this way when Newton had an apple fall on his head did he recognize gravity? Do you realize that you... the complainers and worry worts...of course out of shape.. yes you with the A/C throw out some of the most purest water in the world and do not know it...du? you struggle to lift heavy jugs of water.

Solution: I have put a "T"tap on the 1/2" gray plastic drain on my Air Conditioner drain line feeding outside my apartment, it is low enough to put a clear 20L hardplastic water jug below onto the balcony., when I do not want water (very seldom) let it flow past and down the roof vent drain.

WHERE DOES THIS WATER COME FROM? well my friend when ya take a beer out of the fridge and let it set on table.."Condensation occurs" the same principle as the evaporation of liquid will be cold... liquid that goes through the radiator mounted in your A/C that gives you cold air from the motorized fan behind. Are you with me...put your hands up engineers aw yes engineers are inventors... the rest of you can go and buy your water...ya never look to nature for your answers do you...watch out for them apples...Rotor Ron

Apart from the kind poster offering to share his own personal water testing unit, does anyone have leads on a service available to the public?

I've never had problems with it myself, but I'd like to test our bottle water vendor (14 THB per big bottle delivered to the house!)

The drinking water in small or big bottles is not clean. For babies or old people with low immunity system it is not recommended. The water made by reversal osmosis or ultra violet treatment is medical clean, but biologic dead like distilled water.

I use water filters (NSF approved) with different elements to clean and to revitalize (minerals) the water. It's cheaper than the big water bottles, but you have to check the basic water and the filters regularly.