Tot Internet Shambles

Valentine

The past two days I have been unable to get a speedtest using TOT's service & can see from Woody's website that others are having the same problem. Cannot download anything but websites can open OK so it is a bit confusing. Perhaps this is the final push by TOT to drive all their customers to 3BB. I wonder if this is only on Phuket.

Edited by Valentine

TOT seems permanently bad, but if you get rid of them are you just jumping from 1 problem to the next one ?? jap.gif

I have been had TOT ADSL for a few years & they have always been fairly consistent, not stellar but reliable & average speeds. The last couple of months they seem to have gone downhill. I am not planning to change as I know 3BB will have their ups & downs although now they seem to be riding on a high. I just wish TOT would tell the truth about what is really going on.

Edited by Valentine

3BB dumped me due to my TT&T phone line.

I now haveTOT ADSL on the cheapest package and frankly, I couldn't be more pleased.

Web pages open a lot quicker than with 3BB and I'm downloading torrents at approximately 350 Kb/s which is comparable to the average I was getting with 3BB (though, I did see a max of 800 Kb/s with them).

Maybe your relative position to the nearest node is a factor?

Edited by KarenBravo

I have been had TOT ADSL for a few years & they have always been fairly consistent, not stellar but reliable & average speeds. The last couple of months they seem to have gone downhill. I am not planning to change as I know 3BB will have their ups & downs although now they seem to be riding on a high. I just wish TOT would tell the truth about what is really going on.

I use TOT... but have CAT ADSL as back up,seems to work for me..TOT = 500 BHT...CAT = 199 BHT..not super fast but ok...

I've not been happy with TOT either for some time. I pay for the 8MB package yet am on the same line with the same speeds as someone on the 4MB package. I am no expert and just don't understand this.

I won't change to 3BB but we had the True team around a few days ago and it seems as though their internet will be coming into our area shortly. I've read that they are generally better than TOT. Is it worth changing?

I had tot for a long time and had their average but slow service. Home 8mb which was more like 0.5mb consistently. I got tired of not getting what I was paying for and decided to switch. Using Woody's Phuket internet speed test reporting as my guide I tried for true adsl first ( not available in my area) & 3bb next.

I am on the 8mb plan & get consistently good speeds with them. I am very happy with my switch & the service I am receiving.

I see a few people do have a good luck with t o t but it seems to come down to your specific area. If it is bad for you now it is probly never going to change

I had tot for a long time and had their average but slow service. Home 8mb which was more like 0.5mb consistently. I got tired of not getting what I was paying for and decided to switch. Using Woody's Phuket internet speed test reporting as my guide I tried for true adsl first ( not available in my area) & 3bb next.

I am on the 8mb plan & get consistently good speeds with them. I am very happy with my switch & the service I am receiving.

I see a few people do have a good luck with t o t but it seems to come down to your specific area. If it is bad for you now it is probly never going to change

What area are you from ??

I won't change to 3BB but we had the True team around a few days ago and it seems as though their internet will be coming into our area shortly. I've read that they are generally better than TOT. Is it worth changing?

Don't walk, run to the nearest True shop. Seriously. If you look at the speeds being posted, True's service is vastly superior to TOTs, everywhere.

If the True crew is around, grab one of them and make sure you get the name of somebody at the True office who knows exactly where the line is going in. I've had problems in the past with True not knowing that lines are available.

I've also heard that True is installing at least one fiber optic loop, in Chalong. If that happens, it's going to change the whole game.

Hmmmmm.... not sure why 3BB would dump you because of a TT&T phone line. They simply install their own lines.

Distance to the switch can make a small difference, but in general if the ISP will install ADSL service, you're within 1.5 to 2 km of the switch, and should be fine.

Do you mind me asking what area you're in? They told me they'd be coming to Rawai last December. Then it became February, so I'm hopeful they'll appear soon. Will jump to them in a flash if have the opportunity.

This is driving me nuts. I cannot get a speed test from Woody's site or TV. I can get a result from TOT's speed test site as well as from here http://speedtest.nectec.or.th/ both of which show similar & good results. I also cannot play games on FB, torrents I could possibly wait for years for a single download & just now was unable to download the latest Java update yet KB who lives not far from me is not having any problems. I guess I will have to resort to some stern words & possible table thumping at the TOT office.

I am in a rented home so changing to another provider will not be so easy with an absentee landlord but I also have this hope that TOT will get their act together. It can be seen in the past that all the providers have not been consistently good for any great length of time.

I now haveTOT ADSL on the cheapest package and frankly, I couldn't be more pleased.

Web pages open a lot quicker than with 3BB and I'm downloading torrents at approximately 350 Kb/s which is comparable to the average I was getting with 3BB (though, I did see a max of 800 Kb/s with them).

Are you able to do a TV speed test or from this website http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ using San Francisco?

Are you able to do a TV speed test or from this website http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ using San Francisco?

Took some doing in Rawai & is an exciting 1.66 Mb, but pay for 6Mb !!!!! TOT is cr4p, but as said before there seems to be no reliable service - all seem to have their own faults

Edited by terak69

Val. Did as requested and got a download speed of 1.86 MB/s with speakeasy

Edited by KarenBravo

Thanks. I can see on Woody's website there are others, in Chalong, Thalang, who are having the same problem as me.

I'm still baffled as to the source of the problem.

Several of the people who reported TOT problems earlier are now saying that they can at least get to the speed test site - but others are still locked up.

I have no idea what's happening, particularly because you're having problems with specific downloads...

Thanks. I can see on Woody's website there are others, in Chalong, Thalang, who are having the same problem as me.

I'm still baffled as to the source of the problem.

Several of the people who reported TOT problems earlier are now saying that they can at least get to the speed test site - but others are still locked up.

I have no idea what's happening, particularly because you're having problems with specific downloads...

Things appear to be normal this morning as I was able to do & log the speakeasy test but very conflicting results from speakeasy, bandwidth.com & TOT.

The problem might not necessarily be with TOT, but with the local telephone line. Last year a friend of mine who is living 200 meters down the road from me often was offline with her TOT connection, whilst I had no problem.

The problem might not necessarily be with TOT, but with the local telephone line. Last year a friend of mine who is living 200 meters down the road from me often was offline with her TOT connection, whilst I had no problem.

Keestha -

Good point, but it wasn't the phone line. I had independent reports from six different people, all at different locations on the island.

I'll be writing this up for the "Live Wire" column in the Phuket Gazette, which will appear on Saturday. I still have no idea what caused it - indeed, what COULD have caused it...

I'm in Patong and the pauses on my internet connection for the past week leaves me close to smacking the keyboard here. Did a speedtest and running with 3801kbps downoad and 85 kbps upload speeds for BKK and 541kbps download/ 40kbps upload for SIN server. In case anyone wants to compare and then come over and put me out of my misery. I have conference calls scheduled for late tonight and I have to connect in to a server in the USA to access a powerpoint presentation. Fun, fun, fun. laugh.gif

Yea, what else can I do? I'm laughing since crying just adds to the excess humidity from these heavy showers.