Power Cuts

Power around Bangrak and Plai Lem was out in the early hours. Power cuts for two hours the day before. Seems like they are getting more frquent which is strange for this time of year.

So for the pun but can anybody shed some light on whats going on?

They are also upgrading the transmission cables around the island as well so that may account for some of the stoppages but these tend to be during working hours. Those out of these hours are normally down to the general state of the network in general :D

We had no electricity for nearly a day here in Banrak, getting worse after with every rain..

i got home approx 12.45 am thursday and 1 phase was down on the electricity supply,

within 30 minutes as the third phase resumed there was a load bang and all the electricity went off.

so I think the problem was very close to my house here in Bangrak.

sounded like a fuse popping on the HT main line.

Ive been told by 2 different people that some of these power cuts along the Bangrak/Ghost Road area, as well as some other areas, are planned power cuts by the power company/government, due to the fact that they simply do not have enough electricity for what is being consumed. I thnk there was an article and thread about the lack of power on here back at the turn of the year.

Not sure if this is true or not, but with all the cuts we have had lately, most of them when it hasnt been raining, it would make sense.

Anyone else heard this, or know if there is any truth in it?

I was in Home Pro looking at generators the other day..... .though havent a clue how I would rig one up to my power supply at home, or even just run an entension plug from it..........but I think a generator is becoming essential.

Ive been told by 2 different people that some of these power cuts along the Bangrak/Ghost Road area, as well as some other areas, are planned power cuts by the power company/government, due to the fact that they simply do not have enough electricity for what is being consumed. I thnk there was an article and thread about the lack of power on here back at the turn of the year.

Not sure if this is true or not, but with all the cuts we have had lately, most of them when it hasnt been raining, it would make sense.

Anyone else heard this, or know if there is any truth in it?

I was in Home Pro looking at generators the other day..... .though havent a clue how I would rig one up to my power supply at home, or even just run an entension plug from it..........but I think a generator is becoming essential.

I think you are right and for powering the bare essentials a small generator is very affordable.

I would have thought that what with the years of neglecting the electric system it won't be a quick, cheap or easy fix.

Funny how the "routine" cuts only come when it rains.

I'd like to know what the fck a little rain has to do with the power going off every other time there is precipitation.

It really shows what a backwater this place is.

That's why we all love living here. :whistling:

Funny how the "routine" cuts only come when it rains.

I'd like to know what the fck a little rain has to do with the power going off every other time there is precipitation.

It really shows what a backwater this place is.

I thought everyone knew that the rain not only soaks into all the sticky tape joins but makes the string go soggy and break too??

R

People can hold the arguement that this is a tropical island and so we are going to have power cuts.

Fact is, this has'nt been a tropical island in the real sense for years. Its a tourist haven, TAT's boutique island did'nt you know with the major hotel chains all on board charging $1000 per night. Its also now one of the most expensive places to live in Thailand.

These power cuts are ridiculous and should not be happening. its really pissing off tourists who will not be coming back to this boutique backwater. Just a situation caused by systematic neglect for the usual reasons for not investing in it.

People can hold the arguement that this is a tropical island and so we are going to have power cuts.

Fact is, this has'nt been a tropical island in the real sense for years. Its a tourist haven, TAT's boutique island did'nt you know with the major hotel chains all on board charging $1000 per night. Its also now one of the most expensive places to live in Thailand.

These power cuts are ridiculous and should not be happening. its really pissing off tourists who will not be coming back to this boutique backwater. Just a situation caused by systematic neglect for the usual reasons for not investing in it.

How can we utilise the steam comin ott ay his ears? all comments welcome! B)

I'm of the mind that Samui is now the most expensive place to live in Thailand.

In the early 2000s I kept a nice little room in Pattaya as well as renting a house on Samui because Pattaya was so much cheaper than here. Over the course of two weeks in Pattaya I spent such a small amount of money that it paid for the cost of the room and getting there and back. But I now reckon that Pattaya would be loads cheaper than here. (But I wouldn't want to live there now anyway!)

Phuket used to be the most expensive prior to the tsunami but now that's changed. Mind you there's a difference between living somewhere and staying there. I know that holiday costs to Phuket are far less than Samui but I have no idea of the general cost of living. But I'm sure it can't be as much as here!

R

How can we utilise the steam comin ott ay his ears? all comments welcome! B)

Could it get the mushrooms off my trousers? They've started growing again in my wardrobe.

R :(

We have been without power in Plai Laem for over 15 hours now. Is this an island wide problem or just a local one? Anyone know?

I live in Bangrak, power been off since about 5pm yesterday.

In the office now in Samui town centre, have power, but have a river running thruogh the ground floor too!

We have been without power in Plai Laem for over 15 hours now. Is this an island wide problem or just a local one? Anyone know?

I live in Bangrak, power been off since about 5pm yesterday.

In the office now in Samui town centre, have power, but have a river running thruogh the ground floor too!

Chaweng Laem Din area no power since 7pm yesterday. Luckily I purchased a generator yesterday morning :)

Bangrak, plailaem have no power around 15h ago but around 99 karaoke they have electricity until mayaburi...

i think the main switchis off again on the pole around panpreeda pool beach resort between bophut and bangrak, we just need to wait until the guys wake up in nathong, get their long list where have to turn it on and finally will arrive here afternoon to switch it back, if we lucky......

Anyone struggle with electricity can buy some hundred baht electric inverter box for cars in big-c or tesco, it can convert car plug electricity to normal 220w until 300-500W which is enough to run your mini pump, computer, fan, small monitor or adsl modem so at least u can survive and have some comfort until your car batteries drain down. Just need to use the car engine sometime to charge it back on but it can be handy in conditions like now...

I'm of the mind that Samui is now the most expensive place to live in Thailand.

In the early 2000s I kept a nice little room in Pattaya as well as renting a house on Samui because Pattaya was so much cheaper than here. Over the course of two weeks in Pattaya I spent such a small amount of money that it paid for the cost of the room and getting there and back. But I now reckon that Pattaya would be loads cheaper than here. (But I wouldn't want to live there now anyway!)

Phuket used to be the most expensive prior to the tsunami but now that's changed. Mind you there's a difference between living somewhere and staying there. I know that holiday costs to Phuket are far less than Samui but I have no idea of the general cost of living. But I'm sure it can't be as much as here!

R

i left Samui last year because of bordom and that fact it had changed so much over the 9 years and no longer felt like and island paradadise, electric cuts, floods every year and airfare. moved to chon buri outside pattaya but only 10 mins down the motorway i would say it at least 30% cheaper on average. booze can be easliy purchased in bars for 50%less as can cafe food especially, western foods. even a hair cut is 50% cheaper. village i live everthing is price marked up or use scanning device for the goods. i have a large 3 bed house with sperate guest living quaters for 8500 per month. 1 hout to the airport. surrounded by lakes and mountains feels like paradise again.

I live close to Koh Samui Tennis club, on the ghost road.I was able able to go from there to big C by motorbike and small car (Avanza) without problem.Big C has power and fully open.A construction truck is cleaning the ghost so no big flooding area there.7/11 at bonkai square open as well.

We dont have electric still in Bangrak, this morning i go to have a look on the status of the switches for bangrak and its still turned off........

after 2 days nobody can come over from nathong just to turn the tripswitch back on????

seriously i consider to do some partisan action if someone willing to be brave enough come with a long plastic pipe and push the switch back on the pole around panpreeda pool beach villas.

Its on the pole around the abandoned sabai properties entry....

Anyone willing to be the hero of Bangrak pls come over and fix that thing...