Earthquake

zippydedodah

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God really sucks at making stable planets. Jeez. I want my money back.

or HAARP ;)

Moved out of a condo on the 8th floor last week into the countryside - mostly paranoia but I would be very afraid to see how well these condo towers hold up

Lucky it was so deep underground. Could have been a disaster if it had been a shallow one.

10 km is pretty shallow. would not havebeen nice about 20km north of MaiSai

Good thing it was probably in a lightly habitated area but not so good for those in it.

Makes you realise how vulnerable we are and how precious life is. It was scary enough tonight I'd really be shitting myself if we had an earthquake like the one in Japan or new Zealand.

This one was more powerful than the one that killed my friends/clients/colleagues last month in New Zealand.

Wow! we got off lightly, very lightly.

Though, of course, it wouldn't have been anywhere near 7 for us in Chiang Mai.

USGS is reporting it was 10kms deep. That's actually pretty shallow. Problem with the Christchurch quake was it was even shallower, only 5kms down, and the epicentre was almost underneath the city. They were lucky it was "only" a 6.3.

To the NW of this quake in Burma they had a 5.4 quake 2 weeks ago, same depth (10 kms), which killed 250 and destroyed 6000 buildings in China. So it's quite likely that Burma will have taken quite a battering. Hopefully the epicentre was away from any major urban areas.

God really sucks at making stable planets. Jeez. I want my money back.

or HAARP ;)

Moved out of a condo on the 8th floor last week into the countryside - mostly paranoia but I would be very afraid to see how well these condo towers hold up

thanks Planetx, im currently living on the top floor of my apartment block and stood on my terrace watching the whole building swaying, never had that before ! & now thanks to you i will be moving out ! just kidding cant afford to live out in the sticks!

I actually felt it from here in Phetchabun. I checked the USGS map right after to see if I was just having a dizzy spell, and there was nothing showing, refreshed a couple mins later, and it was listed as a 7.0, but a long way off, Yikes! Hope nobody is hurt, sounds like it wasn't too bad. Surprising to feel it so far away though.

Lucky it was so deep underground. Could have been a disaster if it had been a shallow one.

10 km is pretty shallow. would not havebeen nice about 20km north of MaiSai

Good thing it was probably in a lightly habitated area but not so good for those in it.

At least the poorest in bamboo huts would not be any great danger.

Could not belive it when my pool started gushing out water.

I am trying to get through to my cousin on Phi Phi...very similar sitaution as 2004, I felt it come through here then.

Have you been doing bombs again, TP? :D

Yes, very similar feel to the big one in 2004... long and rolling. In fact, my head feels like it's done a rough Calais-Dover hovercraft crossing.

Kind of like the December 13, 2006 shaker to hit Chiang Mai. That one came in at 5.1. I was on the 11th floor of my apartment building at the time. This time I'm out in Doi Saket and this puppy differently caught my attention.:blink:

We lived in NZ for a couple of years - 2 very active seismic years and as there, I heard it before I felt it (on the 7th floor). Felt to me like 2 separate ones, first about 15 seconds, then another about 20 seconds later which lasted for maybe 30 seconds. I commented that I thought it was a 4 or 4.5 if it was very close, but obviously bigger as it was further away. Agree with the poster who said it's a tremor rather than a quake (from this distance anyway). I've been through a 6.2 shaker (this was a swayer by the time it got to CM) and it's not nice. Doubt any buildings here will be earthquake proof or even if there is a rating system in Thailand.

May the Big Fella upstairs be kind to the people of Burma, they've been through enough.

any reports of injury or damage? i'm out of town atm and i can't get through to the lady on the telephone except an sms to say she is ok.

just heard of a death in Chiang Rai on Thai tv, dont know the source?

Was taking a nap when it felt like someone was kicking my bed. Realized it was most likely an earthquake as have felt them 4-5 times before. Very similar to the shocks I felt in CM during the Indonesian earthquake. Bit more solid kicks though. :)

Let's hope that this was the main event. In Japan there was a foreshock registering 7.0 on the Wednesday, 2 days before the big one hit.

From what I have read an earthquake only becomes a foreshock when it is followed hours or days later by a stronger earthquake.

Let's hope that this was the main event. In Japan there was a foreshock registering 7.0 on the Wednesday, 2 days before the big one hit.

From what I have read an earthquake only becomes a foreshock when it is followed hours or days later by a stronger earthquake.

"These only happen 5 – 10 percent of the time"

Source

Actually time has only a little influence on the determination. The main criteria is that the foreshock is on the same fault and within proximity of the subsequent earthquake. This sometimes might be weeks between quakes. But that is really academic, does it really matter if your house collapses and it is a foreshock, the Big One or an aftershock?

A previous poster mentioned the dogs howling. In 1971 I can remember waking up to what seemed like every dog in town howling and barking (1971 San Fernando, CA). Then everything became very quiet. I could hear the earthquake before I felt it. Had a hard time sleeping for a few weeks after that, everytime a dog barked I would brace myself for another quake and be heading for the door out of the house.

We have been been a bit paranoid for a few weeks now after noticing a 1/2 inch crack in our wall of our 14th Floor Condo

after a small 3.3 Earthquake hit Chiang Mai a few weeks ago.

Plus the Condo above us has a crack big enough you can put your FIST in it... soooo we already didn't

feel very SAFE.

Then... after what happened in Japan... we were even more concerned.I don't mind DYING in an Earthquake... I just don't want to be buried with a 15 floor Condo

At approx 8.30 p.m. tonight we were watching T.V. when the Sofa begin shaking and then the plants in the house and pictures on the walls...

then it got bad... and the building was swaying back and forth very slowly. You could hear people screaming in the building.. or maybe that was ME...

and everyone started running out of their rooms but.. you can't do much when your on the 14th floor. We walked to the Fire Escape where you could feel the building moving and making a noise.. creeking sound. I must admit it was very Scary and I've been thru a lot of earthquakes in California.We had been discussing moving to a house which would be more safe... give you a chance to run outside I guess thats a DONE Deal NOW becasue my wife is on-line NOW looking where to move TOMMORROW. Life is SHORT... Try to enjoy something new Everyday. Any houses for rent near Chang Klan Road, Taipae Gate or the Night Bazaar?

Wife ready to leave TONIGHT, lol

Edited by astral
No need to shout, with bold type face.