Earthquake

zippydedodah

Also felt in Changklan.

Just a tremor, but lasted for quite a time.

Also had four or five similar over the last 15 years, often the result of a minor earthquake in southern China or Burma.

Friend from Mae Hong Son just phoned.

Felt there for 5 seconds, only.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow...i felt it big time. Nimmenheimen area.. still feeling some small vibrations.

Just what my girlfriend said straight after it ! lol...5555555

Seriously, what the hell did the people of New Zealand & Japan think during those big shakes?

Fragile life indeed ! hope everyone's okay?

Kevin

USGS coming in with a 7.0 magnitude quake in Burma 252 kms NNE of here. looks like we felt the rumblings from that. Rather like Winston Churchill's great statement "there is nothing more exhilarating than being shot and missed".

Earthquake Details

• This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude7.0 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes)Date-Time

• Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 13:55:36 UTC
  • Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 08:25:36 PM at epicenter

Location20.898°N, 99.883°EDepth229.4 km (142.5 miles) set by location programRegionMYANMARDistances

• 111 km (69 miles) N (3°) from Chiang Rai, Thailand
  • 155 km (96 miles) SW (219°) from Yunjinghong, Yunnan, China
  • 252 km (156 miles) NNE (22°) from Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • 434 km (270 miles) NW (319°) from VIENTIANE, Laos

Location UncertaintyError estimate not availableParametersNST= 14, Nph=0, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp=104°,

M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=BSource

Good to hear that it was a smallish local one and not a larger distant one like the one Indonesia that caused the big tsunami. Judging by the water sloshing in the swimming pool, it seemed a little smaller than the big one.

Amazing to have such quick reports.

Wife and kids were a bit spooked, but for me [from Hawaii], it was just a little roller. It's fun to feel mother nature moving beneath us ...............unless it causes dammage or death.

lucky us!!

Makes you realise how vulnerable we are and how precious life is. It was scary enough tonight I'd really be shitting myself if we had an earthquake like the one in Japan or new Zealand.

This one was more powerful than the one that killed my friends/clients/colleagues last month in New Zealand.

Makes you realise how vulnerable we are and how precious life is. It was scary enough tonight I'd really be shitting myself if we had an earthquake like the one in Japan or new Zealand.

This one was more powerful than the one that killed my friends/clients/colleagues last month in New Zealand.

Wow! we got off lightly, very lightly.

Wow! we got off lightly, very lightly.

ChCh was about 6.3 magnitude. (They had a 7.0 last year in September I think)