Earthquake

zippydedodah

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been about 3 aftershocks that i have seen. Granted the other 2 have been small but enough to set the orchids swinging on the tree which I was sat under. I don't feel we need to fear a big one as my understanding is the fault line in Burma is not big enough to cause that. Also people saying they felt the Big one in Sumatra that cause the Tsunami on boxing day are wrong. Once agin my understanding is that that quake caused a big shock in Burma as the plates realigned, and that was the shock that was felt here. my last two points are only how I understand the situation and I will accept correction.

Just wondering what would have happened if I had been on my mocycle at the time. Anyone got any experience of riding on a mocycle in the middle of an earthquake?

Got to ride from Cm to Mae Sai on Monday!!!

I think I was on my motorbike when this one hit and I didn't notice it at all. The same thing happened when I was driving my car in California many years ago and there was a moderate earthquake, I didn't know it had happened until I got out of the car and a friend asked if I felt the earthquake. Unless the ground is doing some serious moving the suspension system of your bike or car absorbs the motion and you don't notice a thing.

Just wondering what would have happened if I had been on my mocycle at the time. Anyone got any experience of riding on a mocycle in the middle of an earthquake?

Got to ride from Cm to Mae Sai on Monday!!!

I think I was on my motorbike when this one hit and I didn't notice it at all. The same thing happened when I was driving my car in California many years ago and there was a moderate earthquake, I didn't know it had happened until I got out of the car and a friend asked if I felt the earthquake. Unless the ground is doing some serious moving the suspension system of your bike or car absorbs the motion and you don't notice a thing.

Thanks Bruce that's good to know.

So gald some can find it time to be funny and a Critic. Especially when they most likely did not feel or see the intensity of the quake here in Ching Rai, not Chiang Mai.

And so glad that some can tell alcoholic blood levels without a Blood Test or Breathalizer. :P

Hope you are safe and ok. Sleep well.

Post and its reply removed commenting (ranting) on moderation. The poster ranting about his topic closure posted in the Visa forum so what did he expect would happen? :huh: I kept open the topics in the areas that would be most effected - see below. A half dozen other redundant ones were closed.

Topic now in Thailand News Clippings

also:

Chiang Mai forum

Chiang Rai forum

USGS reports a 5.0 about 6:52 am, a bit closer to chiang rai.

Earthquake Details

• This is a computer-generated message -- this event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude5.0Date-Time

Location20.724°N, 99.873°EDepth10 km (6.2 miles)RegionMYANMARDistances90 km (55 miles) N of Chiang Rai, Thailand

170 km (105 miles) SW of Yunjinghong, Yunnan, China

585 km (363 miles) NE of Rangoon, Myanmar

774 km (480 miles) N of BANGKOK, Thailand

Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 14.9 km (9.3 miles); depth +/- 4.2 km (2.6 miles)ParametersNST=101, Nph=101, Dmin=232.7 km, Rmss=0.81 sec, Gp= 43°,

M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=8Source

• USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event IDusc0002b4z

USGS reports a 5.0 about 6:52 am, a bit closer to chiang rai.

Earthquake Details

• This is a computer-generated message -- this event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude5.0Date-Time

Location20.724°N, 99.873°EDepth10 km (6.2 miles)RegionMYANMARDistances90 km (55 miles) N of Chiang Rai, Thailand

170 km (105 miles) SW of Yunjinghong, Yunnan, China

585 km (363 miles) NE of Rangoon, Myanmar

774 km (480 miles) N of BANGKOK, Thailand

Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 14.9 km (9.3 miles); depth +/- 4.2 km (2.6 miles)ParametersNST=101, Nph=101, Dmin=232.7 km, Rmss=0.81 sec, Gp= 43°,

M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=8Source

• USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event IDusc0002b4z

Approximately 30 kilometers north of Mae Sai.