Earthquake In Burma/Thailand

webfact

Preliminary report from USGS

http://earthquake.us.../usc0002aes.php

Earthquake Details

• This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude7.0 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes) Date-Time

• Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 13:55:36 UTC
  • Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 08:25:36 PM at epicenter

Location20.898°N, 99.883°E Depth229.4 km (142.5 miles) set by location program RegionMYANMAR Distances

• 111 km (69 miles) N (3°) from Chiang Rai, Thailand
  • 155 km (96 miles) SW (219°) from Yunjinghong, Yunnan, China
  • 252 km (156 miles) NNE (22°) from Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • 434 km (270 miles) NW (319°) from VIENTIANE, Laos

Location UncertaintyError estimate not available ParametersNST= 14, Nph=0, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp=104°,

M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=B Source

Event IDpt11083001

http://www.nationmul...a-30151761.html

Now you know why I can not live without Thai Visa.com..... I will try to call my family in Thailand. Your Post is Awesome and I thank you with my heart and Soul.

I hope the poor does not have to pay this Price....

My take and an opinion.,

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over 60 people were killed, 90 injured after a strong quake struck Burma Thurs as some affected areas remained cut off. : AFP /RT @marisa_nt:

Thank you for posting and I urge everyone donates money to Red Cross. Try to get in touch with the Real Red Cross officers. Do not donate on line because, the Pimps are working on the Crisis of others... Shame and Embarrass.... I have to be nasty and mean in order to get my point across. My take and I am standing tall...

PS be careful when you donate to the Burmese government. We, Americans learned our lesson so well. The American taxes payer donated food, medicine etc to the Burmese government last year. The Burmese government did not tell her people the real truth, Instead the Burmese government taped the package over and wrote on top of the Relief packages......gifts from a big short of Burma... ( I was shocked and disbelieved after I heard from my uncle-in law who was a Nobel prize winner in 1997 )

Yep we felt it for sure, very clearly in Sukhumvit Soi 6, 8th floor, gentle rocking, nothing shattering, but it shows the awesome power of nature to be able to do that over 500 miles away............

Over 60 people were killed, 90 injured after a strong quake struck Burma Thurs as some affected areas remained cut off. : AFP /RT @marisa_nt:

Thank you for posting and I urge everyone donates money to Red Cross. Try to get in touch with the Real Red Cross officers. Do not donate on line because, the Pimps are working on the Crisis of others... Shame and Embarrass.... I have to be nasty and mean in order to get my point across. My take and I am standing tall...

PS be careful when you donate to the Burmese government. We, Americans learned our lesson so well. The American taxes payer donated food, medicine etc to the Burmese government last year. The Burmese government did not tell her people the real truth, Instead the Burmese government taped the package over and wrote on top of the Relief packages......gifts from a big short of Burma... ( I was shocked and disbelieved after I heard from my uncle-in law who was a Nobel prize winner in 1997 )

Building Standards in SoCal (sic), are many times higher than Thailand. You should be excited.....

Yes another, hope it's an aftershock and not a warning of something bigger to come.

Anyone who's experienced earthquakes knows the aftershock(s) are almost inevitable and 99% of the time but a fraction of the initial shift. Only the superstitious and paranoid would think otherwise.

Was sitting in the lobby of the Shangri-La Hotel in Chiang Mai when the first one arrived & having lived thru numerous quakes in Southern California over a good number of years (including the Northridge quake in the early 90's) thought, "Oh gee, I think I feel an itty-bitty earthquake..." & continued with what I was doing, talking on the phone with a friend. The intensity was next to nil and while surprised of a quake in CM, I didn't jump from my seat as the intensity was anything but intense. I can however understand how the uninitiated might get rattled, but no more than that of the fear one might get from a severe thunder storm if that's not what you're used to. We used to regularly get 2-3 quakes in So.Cal's Imperial Valley just like that & more so on a yearly basis. We lived with it. I suppose those not exposed to this natural occurrence might freak out, but really... this was nothing to get excited about. One's life is a thousand fold more in danger simply driving around town than that quake ever was. I'm more rattled by the lunatic pinheads who run red lights and drive into oncoming traffic with no headlights than any quake ever does.

How much money was donated after the cyclone. How many people are still waiting for help. Help much money did the Junta make out of it. If you donate it is just going into the pockets of the Generals who are already rubbing thier hands together

RT @thaicam: You really feel the tremors when lying in bed or on the floor

Could you lot be quiet! My Wife and I were both in bed at the time and she shouted out "the earth moved for me". So I don't want the wife to know it was merely an earthquake!

Im in Chong Nonsi area and im hearing an extreme amount of loud sirens, it cant possibly have anything to do with this can it? Anybody have an idea what is happening? Its got to be something big.

CNN showed a map which showed severe to extreme shakes near the epicentre in Myanmar. Mild shakes in Chiangmai. Judging from their map, I see no reason why anywhere in Bangkok would have suffered at all. Sirens more likely to be connected with a fire or road accident or someone important is driving home after dinner and needs the roads cleared for him/her.

We live in Bang Na area Bangkok. Didn't feel a thing.

jb1

I live in Chiang Rai. My house is 3000sq feet on one level believe me it was rocking and rolling with several after shocks and a very good one 30 minutes after the first.

Went trough worse in America but this one up here was a pretty good one. Scared the living daylight out of my Thai wife and daughters.

RT @thaicam: You really feel the tremors when lying in bed or on the floor

Could you lot be quiet! My Wife and I were both in bed at the time and she shouted out "the earth moved for me". So I don't want the wife to know it was merely an earthquake!

Was she surprised?

"Richter magnitudes increase logarithmically, meaning the energy increases 10 times for each magnitude number."

Only we don't use the Richter scale no more, rather the Moment Magnitude scale. (MMS) The idea is the same though.

40034b37afbc89f413914ac9042c9a21.png

As with the Richter scale, an increase of one step on this logarithmic scale corresponds to a 101.5 ≈ 32 times increase in the amount of energy released, and an increase of two steps corresponds to a 103 = 1000 times increase in energy.

(Wikipedia)

Don't know if this has been posted yet.

Video from the security camera in a shop in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district showing items being shaken off the shelf @ ca 9pm 24/03/11 Thai time.

Gives some idea of the strength of the quake there.

No Thais in Myanmar affected by quake

BANGKOK, 25 March 2011 (NNT) – There are no Thai people in Myanmar affected by the 6.7 magnitude earthquake that rocked the country on Thursday night, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Information Department Director-General and Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Thani Thongphakdi stated that there are no Thai nationals residing in the quake-hit Longwah city of Shan state, which is 56 kilometers away from Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai province in Thailand.

As for the sending of condolences and assistance for the neighboring country, Mr Thani responded that the ministry is monitoring the situation to see how much damage Myanmar has received because of the tremor.

The spokesperson noted that the Thai embassy in Yangon will report the situation in Myanmar back to Thailand continuously in order to assess the assistance that the neighboring nation needs.

The 6.7 magnitude quake rocked Myanmar at 20.55 hrs on Thursday night sending several aftershocks which could be felt in Thailand, China, Laos and Vietnam. At least 65 people in Myanmar were claimed by the disaster.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-03-25 footer_n.gif

USGS (US Geological Survey) reporting a 6.8 and 4.8 quake hitting the region.

http://earthquake.us...region/Asia.php

Just for the rcords: Ratchadamri, 15th floor, blinds and closet doors were remarkably shaking for about 30 seconds, gf on chair felt shaking and got dizzy, only a few people lurking at the reception after...

did they long to wait in quarantine?

Manachai, Samut Sakohn, felt nothing, but a "herd" of dogs took to barking

A " herd " of dogs WOW!! That is a new one for my English classes. Maybe a " Pack " of cows next ha ha ha

'but a "herd" of dogs took to barking'

did they have long to wait in quarantine? cant imagine why someone would want to take dogs there?

once 'took' a girl to Barking!

I live in Fang. And it really shook the place here. I ran outside and it is a funny feeling to stand and he el the ground move. Kinda made me dizzy. It shook the water tower so much it was splashing water out of it and pooring on the ground... first for me

Somebody who has an idea how many time there was in between the shaking in Burma on the epicenter and in Chiang Mai ? And Bangkok ?

5 minutes ?

Quite a few factors involved. But using Raleigh Waves (surface waves - there are other types, but this is the most destructive) it is around 3-5 k/s (kilometers per second). Assuming 900 kms to BKK from epicenter (guessing) it would be between 3-5 minutes to arrive.

Does it matter, as long as the people got the aid packages.... is that not the whole point...?

Why is there no footage of New Petchaburi - the Platinum Plaza buildings caught alight and about 80% of the building is toast. Manhattan Building was whipping around and who knows what Bayoke Tower was doing? Yet it is blacked out of Thai news? Why??? People in high-rise felt it most - on the ground in BKK not much of anything but the rotating whipping motion on high rises from below ground forces would make any hi-rise dweller want to sell immediately. You could beat a Tsunami by being up high but you won't beat the fall when the building crumbles under Thai construction standards!

Im in Chong Nonsi area and im hearing an extreme amount of loud sirens, it cant possibly have anything to do with this can it? Anybody have an idea what is happening? Its got to be something big.

CNN showed a map which showed severe to extreme shakes near the epicentre in Myanmar. Mild shakes in Chiangmai. Judging from their map, I see no reason why anywhere in Bangkok would have suffered at all. Sirens more likely to be connected with a fire or road accident or someone important is driving home after dinner and needs the roads cleared for him/her.

We live in Bang Na area Bangkok. Didn't feel a thing.

jb1

I live in Chiang Rai. My house is 3000sq feet on one level believe me it was rocking and rolling with several after shocks and a very good one 30 minutes after the first.

Went trough worse in America but this one up here was a pretty good one. Scared the living daylight out of my Thai wife and daughters.

I think it would have me also. Stay safe.

jb1

Thanks for posting this Doug Copp article...

yes indeed thanks !

I wonder who started the rumour about number 6

and on what this was based ? Even when i worked

in Los Angeles we had a few tremors and people

always did this.

Heading for the foot of the bed sounds more like it B)

Just be aware when stuff is posted on the internet that not everything is as it first seems. There seems to be alot of information from other people and organisations that don't actually like all of Mr Copps advice. Theres a bit online about people that challenge both what he claims and his experience.

Heres one link for you.

http://www.bpaonline.org/Emergencyprep/arc-on-doug-copp.html

I know little about earthquakes and hope to keep it that way.

Why is there no footage of New Petchaburi - the Platinum Plaza buildings caught alight and about 80% of the building is toast. Manhattan Building was whipping around and who knows what Bayoke Tower was doing? Yet it is blacked out of Thai news? Why??? People in high-rise felt it most - on the ground in BKK not much of anything but the rotating whipping motion on high rises from below ground forces would make any hi-rise dweller want to sell immediately. You could beat a Tsunami by being up high but you won't beat the fall when the building crumbles under Thai construction standards!

It's the opposite actually. The taller buildings have a better shot at surviving than the smaller buildings. See my post above.

About 15 minutes ago,another aftershock here in Chiangmai.

Living in a highrise apartment/condo near Wat Jet Yod, off the superhighway.

Nothing big like today when the swiming pool was tossing around!

Interesting thing too was when I came into town fairly late this evening there was another aftershock almost exactly two hours after the first one.Stopped at Sompet Market at the 711, much talk amonst the paper seller guy there watching the powerlines moving without any wind present, didnt actually notice any ground movement,just the cables and the 711 sign was moving.

The wife just showed me a video on a thai site of a security cam in a shop in Mai Sai, stuff falling of the shelves.Was really shaking on the Thai border, at 8:55.

He is an interesting article about earthquake safety. I think it could save a lot of lifes....

F.Y.I. Where to be During an Earthquake

Remember that stuff about hiding under a table or standing in a doorway?? Well, this guy has a completely reverse opinion.This is very interesting, different from what we were all taught.

Boy! Is this ever an eye opener. Directly opposite of what we've been taught over the years! I can remember in school being told to, 'duck and cover' or stand in a doorway during an earthquake. This guy's findings is absolutely amazing. I hope we all remember his survival method if we are ever in an earthquake!!!

Please read this and pass the info along to your family members; it could save their lives someday!

EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE: 'TRIANGLE OF LIFE'

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the

American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced

rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake.

I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams

from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a

member of many rescue teams from many countries..

I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years. I

have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for

simultaneous disasters.

The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City

during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under its desk. Every child

was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have survived by

lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene, unnecessary and

I wondered why the children were not in the aisles. I didn't at the time

know that the children were told to hide under something.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings

falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a

space or void next to them. This space is what I call the 'triangle of life'.

The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. The less the

object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that

the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured. The next

time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the 'triangles' you

see formed. They are everywhere. It is the most common shape, you will see,

in a collapsed building.

TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY

1) Most everyone who simply 'ducks and covers' WHEN BUILDINGS COLLAPSE are crushed to death. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are crushed.

2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal position.

You should too in an earthquake.. It is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a smaller void. Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave a void next to it.

3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during

an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake.

If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created.

Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick

buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but

less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply

roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels can achieve a

much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on The back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.

5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by getting out

the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to

a sofa, or large chair.

6) Most everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse is

killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward or

backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!

7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different 'moment of

frequency' (they swing separately from the main part of the building).

The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each

other until structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get

on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads - horribly

mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the

stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the

stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when

overloaded by fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety,

even when the rest of the building is not damaged.

8) Get Near the Outer Walls Of Buildings Or Outside Of Them If Possible

- It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than

the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the

building the greater the probability that your escape route will be

blocked.

9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls

in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what happened

with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway.. The victims of

the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were

all killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and sitting or

lying next to their vehicles. Everyone killed would have survived if they had

been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the

crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had

columns fall directly across them.

10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices

and other offices with a lot of paper, that paper does not compact.

Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.

Spread the word and save someone's life... The Entire world is

experiencing natural calamities so be prepared!

'We are but angels with one wing, it takes two to fly'

In 1996 we made a film, which proved my survival methodology to be

correct. The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul , University of

Istanbul Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical, scientific

test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins inside. Ten

mannequins did 'duck and cover,' and ten mannequins I used in my

'triangle of life' survival method. After the simulated earthquake collapse we

crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film and document the

results. The film, in which I practiced my survival techniques under

directly observable, scientific conditions , relevant to building collapse, showed there would have been zero percent survival for those doing duck

and cover.

There would likely have been 100 percent survivability for people using

my method of the 'triangle of life.' This film has been seen by millions

of viewers on television in Turkey and the rest of Europe , and it was seen

in the USA , Canada and Latin America on the TV program Real TV

I agree 100% I will copy it ad give instructions in my mountains area.

Was sitting in the lobby of the Shangri-La Hotel in Chiang Mai when the first one arrived & having lived thru numerous quakes in Southern California over a good number of years (including the Northridge quake in the early 90's) thought, "Oh gee, I think I feel an itty-bitty earthquake..." & continued with what I was doing, talking on the phone with a friend. The intensity was next to nil and while surprised of a quake in CM, I didn't jump from my seat as the intensity was anything but intense. I can however understand how the uninitiated might get rattled, but no more than that of the fear one might get from a severe thunder storm if that's not what you're used to. We used to regularly get 2-3 quakes in So.Cal's Imperial Valley just like that & more so on a yearly basis. We lived with it. I suppose those not exposed to this natural occurrence might freak out, but really... this was nothing to get excited about. One's life is a thousand fold more in danger simply driving around town than that quake ever was. I'm more rattled by the lunatic pinheads who run red lights and drive into oncoming traffic with no headlights than any quake ever does.

Been there, done that, eh. :boring:

Yes, all a bit ott, but I'm sure you can understand the alarm of many on here - including folk who previously lived in the Bay Area. I don't know if you noticed, but there was a sizeable quake in Japan a couple weeks back; that place who's tectonic shenanigans make those stateside look pedestrian by comparison. A ways away and a different kettle of fish altogether, of course, being on the RoF n all, but still fresh in the minds of the layman here no doubt, who are probably a tad worried about the questionable build quality of their condo.

Bangkok was lucky that the quake was a 6.8, 772KM away, and 10KM down the crust. If it was half the depth or half the distance, Bangkok would all be in serious trouble. I seriously doubt that the buildings here have earthquake ratings like Japan... Remember, business is rule... build at the lowest possible cost for the most possible profit, factor in incompentency and corruption and everyone is in for a big show of "disaster".

A 6.8 quake is very serious, heck.. anything above 6.0 is something to be very concerned about.