What Do You Like About Living On Samui

I'd agree, Chong Mon beach has a nice, "old Samui feel" to it, which reminds me of KP a little...., except for the Jet Skies....:annoyed:

But there are other beaches along the Ban Tai area, that are quieter and have less people... ( I prefer that!) Then the beaches on the southwest corner over looking the Five Islands & two other islands I am not sure about their names, are very quiet too.... only problem it's a bit of a drive from where I live in Maenam, and you have to know the side roads that head to them & where the tracks through the coconut grooves are.... I'm not telling! ;)..... OK I'll give one secret away, follow signs to FIVE ELEMENTS, ! There is a handicapped young man, in a wheel chair, that speaks good English & will sell you a Pop or water & details of how to get to various places, including renting a long tail to do a day trip to the islands... at a better price than some charge... that's on my "to try list" one day....

Even the roads through the centre of the island can land you in some beautiful spots..... again it is hit and miss to find them to start with... and of course varies to whether the dirt roads have been recently re graded.... although some have partial cement tracks.

Not something novices should try on a motorbike though!, some areas definitely "white knuckle" driving.... :o

But to answer the original question, yes there are things that can drive you "crazy" here, but when I weigh that against the good things, it really ain't so bad... here!

i like that i can get up in the morning with a things to do list, circle the island from chewang make stops in nathorn, lamai, banrak and still be back home by mid day. The air is fresh, clear and clean, the sun shines bright and warm; allowing me to get a sun tan in a min amount of time. the ever changing shapes and sizes of fresh toursit shopping and sun bathing, the white sand beaches and the wonderful assortment of places to eat and drink, the massages are very relaxing and affordable, taxes are low, upkeep is cheap, and no need for heat. I love living on Samui.

Bangkok Airways airport B)

Actually, I never lived in Samui, but when I had a holiday house in Phangan ('00>'06): that was the most efficient way to commute from Bangkok.

have you seen the latest prices ??

Bangkok Airways airport B)

Actually, I never lived in Samui, but when I had a holiday house in Phangan ('00>'06): that was the most efficient way to commute from Bangkok.

have you seen the latest prices ??

Think that comment should be in the what you don't like thread.

Samui airport is stunning and a very possitive impact on any tourist landing there.

The lack of inhibitive rules and laws and health & safety. My kids smiling. My wife not complaining. Coconut trees. Motorbikes. Climate. Singha. Football on weekend evenings. Fresh fish. Fresh fruit. Wat Plailam (sp). The Indian restaurant in Choeng Mon (best on the Island) . The English Indian curry they do in the Islander in Chaweng including Samosas. That local thai restaurant on the old airport road where they do the best panang gai. Tongs bar. The Mango. Gecko's. Local people. Sunrises. Sunsets. Funny falangs. People watching. Beaches.

Happy hour. :D

Scotsman refers to Alcohol in his " list of likes " shock horror..:D

Edit : I fell out of love with the Island big time & barely liked anything any more, hence the reason i left..

Edited by MSingh

I like pretty much everything about living on Koh Samui. Even the wet, the traffic, the power outages, the smelly drains.

I have been back in Australia since last December and I reckon it totally sucks here.

Everybody is just SO stupid but they all think and act like they are so smart, it is doing my brains in.

I just miss the simple life I had on Koh Samui, the good friends, the sunsets on the beach, the inexpensive yet delicious food at local Thai restaurants, all that stuff and more.

dam_n, I miss it BUT I will be back in another couple of months.

Love Samui and miss it heaps!

cool.gif