Baby On The Way

stconan

can anyone help? Im working in England at the moment, my wife is pregnant.I would like to know that if my wife has our baby in England how does that effect the babys rights to stay in thailand with her mum, most of the time im working at the moment in england but plan to stay in Thiland when my building contract finishes, any info would be great. thanxs

Edited by stconan

can anyone help?  Im working in England at the moment, my wife is pregnant.I would like to know that if my wife has our baby in England how does that effect the babys rights to stay in thailand with her mum, most of the time im working at the moment in england but plan to stay in Thiland when my building contract finishes, any info would be great.  thanxs

Having a Thai mother, your child will have Thai nationality, even if born in England.

Once born, get him a Thai Passport, and make sure to always use this passport to go in/out of Thailand.

Welcome and congratulations on your impending new arrival :o

I agree with Traz, a Thai mother guarantees Thai nationality, get the little one a Thai passport as soon as you can.

If you are a Brit your little one will also be British, dual nationality is OK for both Thailand and the UK, most useful, no need for visas at either end.

Further more, if you are a Brit and your child is born in the UK your child will have the nationality status 'British Other Than By Descent' - This guarantees, under current law, that your child's own children will have the right to British Citizenship, where ever they are born.

A right that would not be given if your child is born in Thailand.

This link will give you the details of the Thai Consulates in the UK. (I use Hull, quicker response)

http://thailand-uk.com/thaiemb.html

You can get a Thai passport from the consulates in the UK, I seem to remember you will need your marrage certificate, babys birth certificate and some others doc's.

Your son/daughter has a right to both passports. I would get them both as soon as you can.

C1 :o