Chinese Cj 750

dagling

Chinese version

What can you say from one great man to another - Stalin gave it to Mao. The Chinese made millions of these bikes and in the 1960s and 1970s they were everywhere in China.

The BMW R71/ M72 was renamed the "long river 750" which became the CJ750. During 1949-1950, the Chinese "Peoples Liberation Army Beijing No.6 Automotive Works" had been attempting to develop a suitable military motorcycle by "reverse engineering" a Zundapp KS500 military motorcycle. The Chinese KS500 based machines entered production in 1951, and in total 4248 machines were built before responsibility for the manufacture of military motorcycles was transferred to Hongdu Machinery Plant and the Xinjiang Machine Plant. Both of these factories are subsidiaries of the State-run aeronautic manufacturing industry to this day.

Back in the USSR, now that the side-valve model had become obsolete, manufacture of the old M72 (BMW R71) was offered to their Chinese communist neighbors who wasted no time in dropping the KS500 based machine for the tried and tested BMW R71/M72 design motorcycle. The BMW R71/ M72, renamed the "Chang Jiang 750" entered production during 1957 at the Chinese Nanchang aircraft factory. Many of the older M-72 bikes that are around today have both Russian parts and later versions have only Chinese parts.

Around 1985, the story goes that the Chinese, realizing that the original R71 side valve engine was now somewhat less than state-of-the-art, entered an agreement with the Russians once again, with the objective of improving the engine's performance. The Russians provided OHV engine technology, and soon a OHV 750cc-boxer engine, which is remarkably similar in design concept to the BMW /2 engine entered production at the China South Aero engine plant.

Since the start of the use of the Chang Jiang 750 sidecar, the PLA ordered 30,000 of these bikes every year. Thus from the start of production in 1956 till 2005 over 1.5 million Chang Jiang 750 sidecars were built.

The cj 750 is still making history…..though some might be far fetched truths, there people are making up stories about how hard they are to find, or that they have the original "genuine" article, or that there is an exclusive right to distribute, these sidecar motorcycles are available all over Shanghai and many parts of China. Others like us just love these sidecars Because they are fun, easy to own, cheap, and importantly we hope you can own one too. Do your research, depending on who's story you believe.

post-84957-0-43149600-1301038380_thumb.j

post-84957-0-59938000-1301038390_thumb.j

In Thailand the Ministry of Transport was created around 1889, for almost 120-years it would not interfere with the exhaust emission of combustion-engine based vehicles. But, with the fear of being flooded by motorcycles from surrounding countries, with who Thailand signed free-trade-agreements, the Thai Department of Land Transport “relatively quickly” raised the standard of exhaust emission – making it near impossible for unmodified motorcycles from manufactures in the greater ASEAN region to be sold in Thailand.

The great Chang Jiang 750 is one of the victims, you can import one, but getting it legally registered at the Department of Road Transport is likely impossible. :jap: :jap: :jap: ;):):D

The great Chang Jiang 750 is one of the victims, you can import one, but getting it legally registered at the Department of Road Transport is likely impossible. :jap: :jap: :jap: ;):):D

Sorry to hear that, would love to see them around i Thailand, could be a nice "family car" :D

But would you bay one if it was here in Thailand? I might go for a import :D

I'd buy one. Would be great fun with the wife and daughters to tool around on and it doesn't look half bad at all. Thanks for sharing :D

I had one when I lived in Beijing and its best bike I ever owned. I see a guy here claiming to import them! but I would not believe him. If anyone is serious about buying one, I can put you in touch with the best dealers in Beijing. I do not get anything for this, but having lived there for a few years I know the good from the bad.

:ph34r:

In Thailand, I've seen home brewed crappy old sidecars/cages attached either side to Honda dreams etc. What is the law in Thailand for sidecars left or right side? I would have thought left hand side?

edit: forgot some verbiage :(

Edited by Garry

I had one when I lived in Beijing and its best bike I ever owned. I see a guy here claiming to import them! but I would not believe him. If anyone is serious about buying one, I can put you in touch with the best dealers in Beijing. I do not get anything for this, but having lived there for a few years I know the good from the bad.

Only problem is that the nice thai government will charge you 150% import tax (I`m not kidding :angry:). Search the Google.

Only problem is that the nice thai government will charge you 150% import tax (I`m not kidding :angry:). Search the Google.

I'm not so sure that it would be that much in this case. With Chinese -Thai alliances, this could be a different kettle of fish and perhaps a bit of leniency when it comes to import duties.

[From previous posts, the clear advice seems to be that it is too hard to personally arrange the importation of a 2nd hand bike, so buy locally. There are suggestions that local 'dealers' can arrange to import specified bikes on order -and if this is so, I am very interested in buying a CJ-750 if this can be done legally (with full payment of import duties & taxes - not interested in parts import, and no legal registration with fake/no green book). My questions are simply (1) can a 'dealer' really arrange this; and if so (2) at what fee? ]

Dinga, the registration for an imported Bike with sidecar will likely be impossible. The manufacturer would have to Homoleg the Rig first at the DLT .

You can import it but legally on the road it won't be...not to forget the emission standards which are not being met on the bike as mentioned in a prior post.

mbox

Dinga, the registration for an imported Bike with sidecar will likely be impossible. The manufacturer would have to Homoleg the Rig first at the DLT .

You can import it but legally on the road it won't be...not to forget the emission standards which are not being met on the bike as mentioned in a prior post.

mbox

[Thanks MBox - sadly, you've confirmed what I understood to be the case ie. forget it]