Security In Bkk?

udon

I haven't been to NEP since the Bali bombing.

2 weeks ago I figured checking out the security setup at the entrance to Nana.

I grabbed a beer and settled down to watch the arrivals etc from the quiet bar opposite Big John's(?)

Now, NEP has only one entrance, AFAIK, inside, is the rough shape of a huge bowl.

A well placed bomb would destroy everything in site.

Now, back to my bar-stool, security is/was non-existant between 1800 & 2000 and the uniformed guy who may have been security seemed more intested in playing with the illegal, underaged flower sellers.

To me, security was a farce. any other thoughts on this?...... Nana only.

PS I know these security guys get paid in peanuts, maybe that's the problem! :o

I haven't been to NEP since the Bali bombing.

2 weeks ago I figured checking out the security setup at the entrance to Nana.

I grabbed a beer and settled down to watch the arrivals etc from the quiet bar opposite Big John's(?)

Now, NEP has only one entrance, AFAIK, inside, is the rough shape of a huge bowl.

A well placed bomb would destroy everything in site.

Now, back to my bar-stool, security is/was non-existant between 1800 & 2000 and the uniformed guy who may have been security seemed more intested in playing with the illegal, underaged flower sellers.

To me, security was a farce. any other thoughts on this?...... Nana only.

PS I know these security guys get paid in peanuts, maybe that's the problem! :o

Nana Plaza is a disaster waiting to happen. The design makes the whole place an inescapable firetrap. It would be too easy for a car bomb to drive right on in the unguarded open entrance and blow up. The resulting fire would almost certainly kill everyone inside, as there are no fire escapes or back doors. To make matters worse, the many motorcycles that were moved out of the open entrance area are now parked in front of the side stairs, blocking the way. The lack of awareness, responsibility and safety conciousness is amazing, but only too typical of Thailand. It would be so simple, as has been suggested in Asia Bugle, to block the entrance to the Plaz at night so that only people could get in, not vehicles! I have cut down on my visits to NEP since the Bali horror, knowing what a very soft target it is.