No Direction And Now No Contest In The Upcoming Thai Election

webfact

EDITORIAL

No direction and now no contest in the election

By The Nation

30151797-01.jpg

Sondhi Limthongkul's order for the New Politics Party to boycott the upcoming election denies a voice to his supporters and serves no purpose

What Sondhi Limthongkul said on Wednesday night - that the New Politics Party (NPP) must boycott the general election - was not really a surprise. The real issue had begun some time ago, when Sondhi decided to form the NPP in the first place. At the time, the yellow-shirt People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) seemed to have chosen a path that, whether it was right or wrong, was not conducive to parliamentary activities. If the NPP was not doomed from Day One, all the signs were that the road ahead would be extremely bumpy.

The first real bump came from its own founder. Sondhi declared that the PAD would campaign for a "No" vote in the election, meaning that all PAD supporters would be asked to mark an abstention on their ballot papers. He also demanded that the NPP boycott the election by not fielding any candidates at all. All of a sudden the NPP found itself on a collision course with the movement that gave birth to it, and it is now in danger of never making its way to Parliament.

Just like the Pheu Thai Party, has the red shirts as its main, if not only, support base, the NPP can hardly separate itself from the yellow shirts, or the PAD. The key difference is that Pheu Thai has solidly established itself as a political party, with all the required mechanisms in place at all levels. Moreover, money is never a problem for Pheu Thai, with fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra still somehow bankrolling many of its activities from his hideout abroad.

The NPP was formed out of ideology, but it suffers from poor preparation when it comes to key requirements like party branches, financial sources and canvassing networks. In other words, the PAD has always been a street fighter, whereas the NPP was the PAD's experiment with a suit and tie. Sondhi's belligerent speech on Wednesday night, in which he decried parliamentary elections as a breeding ground of "hellish animals", was simply an admission that he could not have the best of both worlds.

NPP leaders want to take part in elections and had probably anticipated Sondhi's latest order. They tried to pre-empt it by having the party resolve that it will participate in the upcoming poll. Now, party leader Somsai Kosaisuk and party secretary-general Suriyasai Katasila will have to decide whether to sever links with the PAD and go ahead and do what they want.

The party's resolution on taking part in the election can still be changed. In fact, changing it is the easy part. The hard part is to justify the NPP's existence after that. Sondhi has clearly renounced the current political system, and that means if the NPP backtracks on its resolution in his favour, the party will be as good as defunct. To boycott this election and contest later ones will be self-mockery in the extreme. More importantly, bowing to Sondhi's command will chip away at the credibility of the party's future activities.

Political parties are supposed to listen to their people. The argument by Sondhi, however, fails to address the issue of representation in a democracy at every level. This is not to say that the NPP's management should not listen to what the PAD has to say. This is to say that the NPP's structure should have properly accommodated the PAD so as to avoid one non-board member pulling the strings from outside the party. Sondhi has now done what he always accuses Thaksin Shinawatra of doing.

As for the PAD, it will keep walking into an unknown future. The small number of yellow-shirt protesters around Government House shows that the movement's prospects are not much better than the political party it created, and is apparently putting in limbo. The "alliances" are dwindling, and reportedly so are the financial resources. Sondhi, largely credited with the overthrow of the Thaksin regime, wants to leave another mark on Thai politics, this time with abstention ballots. The cost could be high, because at stake is the entire political party he founded and promised would bring new hope.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-26

This is just one more example of how Thai power groups have no concept of what democracy is. Just as we have seen with the Red Shirts, albeit in different ways, the Yellow Shirts are taking the attitude of -- if we can't win controlling power, it's not democracy. Actually what they want is the antithesis of democracy.

This is just one more example of how Thai power groups have no concept of what democracy is. Just as we have seen with the Red Shirts, albeit in different ways, the Yellow Shirts are taking the attitude of -- if we can't win controlling power, it's not democracy. Actually what they want is the antithesis of democracy.

Well said

If I recall correctly the yellow shirts were not looking for democracy. They wanted only 30% to be elected and 70% to be appointed.

If I recall correctly the yellow shirts were not looking for democracy. They wanted only 30% to be elected and 70% to be appointed.

True .

They have prob already done the deals to sneak into positions of government . All parties that oppose the reds are pulling out of the election .They know that to stay in the running they are splitting the vote . However the Red Shirts will win . You can tie to birds together & although they have 4 wings they cannot fly . The Red Shirts are just 1 bird & will fly into power

Edited by chachachacha

True .

They have prob already done the deals to sneak into positions of government . All parties that oppose the reds are pulling out of the election .They know that to stay in the running they are splitting the vote . However the Red Shirts will win . You can tie to birds together & although they have 4 wings they cannot fly . The Red Shirts are just 1 bird & will fly into power

"All parties that oppose the reds are pulling out of the election" ???

No parties have pulled out. A small group (the yellow shirts), not even a political party, is campaigning for people to vote "no".

The PAD (whom I differentiate from the broader Yellow Shirt movement much like I differentiate the Red Shirts from the UDD) were promoting this "30% democracy" because they (Sondhi) felt that Thailand was not yet politically evolved enough to warrant a full 100% democracy. That's why they were claiming that diminishing the electorate's political voice was actually in the best long-term interests of the country - so that, when the "uneducated" have become "educated", full 100% democracy can be restored.

Obviously this idea is full of holes and the majority of Yellow Shirts (as opposed to the PAD) didn't support it when the idea was bandied about on the PAD stage during 2008 and do not support it now. I think this is why the PAD only attracts a couple of thousand these days; I think the leaders have gone a little too far out with their ideology for the majority of their past supporters.

True .

1) The Red Shirts are 1 bird? Really? I thought the Red Shirts were a loose coalition, with several disagreeing factions.

2) All parties that oppose the reds are pulling out of the election? Really? I thought that no parties, opposing the Red Shirts or otherwise, have pulled out of, or even suggested a pull-out from, the upcoming election.

3) The Red Shirts will fly into power? Really? I thought there were 2 political parties trying to champion the Red Shirts - Khattiyatham (tiny) and Peua Thai (heavily split, just lost one of their highest-profile public figures).

Notwithstanding the inaccuracies of your post, the evidence at this stage certainly suggests the opposite of what you are trying to suggest. Unless I have got it all wrong of course...

The PAD (whom I differentiate from the broader Yellow Shirt movement much like I differentiate the Red Shirts from the UDD) were promoting this "30% democracy" because they (Sondhi) felt that Thailand was not yet politically evolved enough to warrant a full 100% democracy. That's why they were claiming that diminishing the electorate's political voice was actually in the best long-term interests of the country - so that, when the "uneducated" have become "educated", full 100% democracy can be restored.

Obviously this idea is full of holes and the majority of Yellow Shirts (as opposed to the PAD) didn't support it when the idea was bandied about on the PAD stage during 2008 and do not support it now. I think this is why the PAD only attracts a couple of thousand these days; I think the leaders have gone a little too far out with their ideology for the majority of their past supporters.

True .

1) The Red Shirts are 1 bird? Really? I thought the Red Shirts were a loose coalition, with several disagreeing factions.

2) All parties that oppose the reds are pulling out of the election? Really? I thought that no parties, opposing the Red Shirts or otherwise, have pulled out of, or even suggested a pull-out from, the upcoming election.

3) The Red Shirts will fly into power? Really? I thought there were 2 political parties trying to champion the Red Shirts - Khattiyatham (tiny) and Peua Thai (heavily split, just lost one of their highest-profile public figures).

Notwithstanding the inaccuracies of your post, the evidence at this stage certainly suggests the opposite of what you are trying to suggest. Unless I have got it all wrong of course...

So you think another junta by proxy . The Red shirts are not as you wish to think split . They will win & the army will overthrow them & put back in power thier puppets .

WP

Although most of its leaders supported, and in some cases helped draft the post-coup 2007 Constitution, the PAD has proposed constitutional amendments that would make 70% of MPs appointed, based on professional groups, with elections choosing only 30% of MPs.[26][27] On 21 September, the PAD changed its formula to 100% elections, but with 50% of Parliament voted for by geographic area and the rest voted for by occupational representatives
< trivia; Sondhi is correct that any election will produce 'hellish' results.

True .

So you think another junta by proxy . The Red shirts are not as you wish to think split . They will win & the army will overthrow them & put back in power thier puppets .

That's a funny assumption to make based on my post. To answer, no I don't think that.

I think that, whether Peua Thai split into two or more parties or not (which I don't think is relevant because they'll go into coalition regardless), the elections will yield a similar count to the current situation - a Democrat-led coalition - but I also think the Democrat-led coalition will be slightly more powerful than it is now due to defections.

As to whether the Reds are split or not, I have a 1-word question for you...

Thaksin?

True .

Not true. It was a discussion idea batted around and then discarded, literally, years ago.

But it's great sound bite for those that wish to dishonestly perpetrate the myth.

Sorry to disagree, but I recall it slightly differently, as being an idea floated for a few days on the PAD's stage, which failed to generate much support, and was quickly abandoned by them.

They were exploring different potential-models, to try to find a more-democratic result, and this clearly wasn't one of their better ideas. As I recall, it didn't generate much support amongst TV-posters, either. Quite right too.

Which hasn't prevented it from being trotted-out regularly ever since, as being current PAD/NPP party-policy, or even Democratic Party policy ! Which claim would clearly be inaccurate and misleading.

True .

Not true. It was a discussion idea batted around and then discarded, literally, years ago.

But it's great sound bite for those that wish to dishonestly perpetrate the myth.

I am more convinced after your photo links to the PAD Website and now this defence, that you may be Sondhis sidekick

True.

You can compare the '70/30 percent' idea the PAD floated with the 'people's army' idea floated for a day by PTP back in February 2010. To be dropped and forgotten ;)

That's a funny assumption to make based on my post. To answer, no I don't think that.

I think that, whether Peua Thai split into two or more parties or not (which I don't think is relevant because they'll go into coalition regardless), the elections will yield a similar count to the current situation - a Democrat-led coalition - but I also think the Democrat-led coalition will be slightly more powerful than it is now due to defections.

Thaksin?

More powerful ? So the army are to get better equipment ? Just as I thought you think a junta by proxy which is what the Democratic (LOL) lot are. Thaksin is the guy that all the Red shirts admire . Nothing any propaganda can do about that.

The people that defected will prob not win against the Red candidate . People voted Red & they will again .

True .

I am more convinced after your photo links to the PAD Website and now this defence, that you may be Sondhis sidekick

Defence? Simply stating what is the truthful reality. It's not a platform or a policy for the NPP and was discarded years ago. You should try being truthful about events in Thailand some time to live up to your name.

Still waiting for your identification of PAD website photos, but I'll ask a second time here. Perhaps you could start by being honest about that.

Thaksin?

More powerful ? So the army are to get better equipment ? Just as I thought you think a junta by proxy which is what the Democratic (LOL) lot are. Thaksin is the guy that all the Red shirts admire . Nothing any propaganda can do about that.

The people that defected will prob not win against the Red candidate . People voted Red & they will again .

Some people that defected have already won against the "Red" candidate, in by-elections held late last year. And IF the people vote "Red" again, that won't give them a majority, just like when they voted "Red" last time. They will still need to find some coalition partners. If they had support from the smaller parties, they would be in power already.

I expect to see a few responses to your post from the forum red supporters explaining how the reds aren't all about Thaksin, but they haven't been able to convince many people so far.

You can compare the '70/30 percent' idea the PAD floated with the 'people's army' idea floated for a day by PTP back in February 2010. To be dropped and forgotten ;)

I think that's a fair assessment, this is a humorous item, not a serious policy-proposal, except that it seems to get revived regularly as a useful piece of political-mud, to sling at the (unconnected) Dems. :rolleyes: