Papers For Taking Bike Over Border

Getting a new faster Honda soon, so can do Maenam to Lamai in 10 minutes :lol:

Seriously though, I've been told that to take a bike over the border, (Malaysia or perhaps other places) that one requires a special permit.... Does anyone know where to apply & get here on Samui?

My guess might be the MVB in Lipa Noi area?

Anyone done or know for sure & what I would need to get (have Thai license) ... no doubt a letter from Samui Immigration also?

Thanks in advance!

hi jimmy, you just need to have documented ownership of the car or bike that you plan to take over the border. you'll buy insurance at the border. in a case where you are renting/borrowing etc, you can get by with a letter signed by the owner authorizing you to take it over.

hi jimmy, you just need to have documented ownership of the car or bike that you plan to take over the border. you'll buy insurance at the border. in a case where you are renting/borrowing etc, you can get by with a letter signed by the owner authorizing you to take it over.

Thanks Joe, any idea roughly how much insurance would be?

I assume the Green Book would be the documentation?

Edited by samuijimmy

You need a certified translation of book into English and number plate number stickers on front mudguard, place of registration EG BK and number. If it first time and you are doing visa run go to the weekend market at the border near Satun. you can take your bike 2 K into Malaysia without papers or insurance but you can ask the border guys who are very helpful. The market is good. The numbers should be on black background. If you look around you will see cars in Samui with two number plates, they must go to Malaysia.