Ko Samui

freestylegirl

Can't recommend a specific hotel but, in general terms, Chaweng has the best balance of beach/hotels/restaurants/nightlife. Some think Lamai has the better beach, but the nightlife is a bit raucous - as in a lot of guys who seem to acquire girls as an accessory for their rented motorbikes............... :o

http://www.kohsamui.org/

http://www.kohsamui.com/

http://www.samui.org/ (very slow link)

Edited by Steve2UK

Has anyone who's been to Ko Samui recommend a beach and hotel/bungalow to stay? My parents are coming for christmas and I don't know where to take them. We want a nice beach, somewhere not too developed but with some nightlife; they're  also into good restaurants and drinking!

Parents - depends on what they're like...they might find both Chaweng and Lamai a bit racey at night but there is an enormous range of hotels and resorts there. I used to stay at Samui Royal Beach in the middle of Chaweng. This place has changed hands and been upgraded in the last year or so. It's right on the beach and used to be very quiet but there is a mbeach market next to it now.

I have to say I don't think your parents would go for the Ark Bar, it's very busy and full of younger backpackers etc. Between SRB and Ark bar is Samui Coral or "Di Papa". This is new, clean and well maintained, has a pool and is right on the beach. It is also quite quiet. About 2000 baht per night. Rooms havee air, fan and hot shower. Web site: - www.samuicoralresort.com

Hire a car whereever you stay...that way you can sightsee and get to those lovely retaurants around the island, especially the ones up near Uncle Nimm's Magic Garden!

Breakfast at Da Papa...

post-12660-1127354955_thumb.jpg

Edited by wilko

Has anyone who's been to Ko Samui recommend a beach and hotel/bungalow to stay? My parents are coming for christmas and I don't know where to take them. We want a nice beach, somewhere not too developed but with some nightlife; they're  also into good restaurants and drinking!

I would recommend Samui New Star on Chaweng Noi

[email protected]

secluded beach quiet, few venders, must take a songtao to the big action however there are some excellent restaurants in walking distance

or Sans Souci South on Chaweng. A small resort

nice quiet part of Chaweng beach, shallow, few venders. Excellent staff.

Parents - depends on what they're like...they might find both Chaweng and Lamai a bit racey at night but there is an enormous range of hotels and resorts there. I used to stay at Samui Royal Beach in the middle of Chaweng. This place has changed hands and been upgraded in the last year or so. It's right on the beach and used to be very quiet but there is a mbeach market next to it now.

I have to say I don't think your parents would go for the Ark Bar, it's very busy and full of younger backpackers etc. Between SRB and Ark bar is Samui Coral or "Di Papa". This is new, clean and well maintained, has a pool and is right on the beach. It is also quite quiet. About 2000 baht per night. Rooms havee air, fan and hot shower. Web site: - www.samuicoralresort.com

Hire a car whereever you stay...that way you can sightsee and get to those lovely retaurants around the island, especially the ones up near Uncle Nimm's Magic Garden!

Breakfast at Da Papa...

post-12660-1127354955_thumb.jpg

Dont mind wilko.Packers will not pay Ark Bar rates.

I would recommend Samui New Star on Chaweng Noi

[email protected]

secluded beach quiet, few venders, must take a songtao to the big action however there are some excellent restaurants in walking distance

I stayed there, can second the recommendation, Chaweng Noi. Many families, crystal clear water and white sand. It's separated from the main Chaweng beach by a rock formation that's unpassable.

At night, beach restaurans have tables right at the waterline, with candles. Beautiful, good food and not expensive. They stealed a good deal of the dinning biz from the nearby hotels where their patrons stay.

New Star bungalows:

samui1.jpg

If you are coming at Christmas time, then I would advise to book all flights and accomodation ASAP. It will be peak season and if you leave it till the last minute you might struggle to find decent accomodation.

I would probably recommend staying in Chewang. The beach is nice and there are plenty of restaurants and places to have a drink.

As Samui is a relatively small island, you can drive around it in little over an hour. You should hire a car/motorbike and drive around the island. There are plenty of beaches and waterfalls to visit if you want to get away from the hustle of Chewang.

You should also check out the Central Hotel/Resort. I think it's on the main beach, sorry I can't remember the name. I stayed there back in April. It has the nicest beach in the area cuz they've removed all the rocks. The sand is clean. The hotel itself also looks very nice.