80% Of Thais Oppose Nuclear Power Plants

Lite Beer

Yet another astoundinlgy insightful poll by one of the leading news reporting agencies in the Kingdom!:whistling: The timing of which could not have been better, just after a potential nuclear meltdown in Japan! I would like to see the results if it was suggested that the price of electricity would be decreased by 50% ? therefore giving a CASH incentive to the locals....... Normally I would also point out the jobs it would create and wealth to the local region such a venture would generate BUT we know how many feel towards a bit of graft...........

Which planet do you live on?

Reducing electricity cost by 50%

These figures cannot be argued with, as they will be true of all that were asked. The 70% of rural people would not have been asked so they wouldn't have been included.

It did say N/E BKK South, Cities ??? shows what polls can do, distort national opinion, when required. As I say depends who you ask. But If a real opinion was given across the board the poll would still have been near enough.

And to add, 80% of Thais should therefore read ==who were questioned

Do you think the rural people would support nuclear power?

A good majority wouldn't understand--and wouldn't even care. But really the point of my reply is these polls never say, venders - market people- farm workers- 7-11 employees--gardeners-fishermen etc. Polls in general only ask the 20% of educated Hi SO--style people.

ginjag

I think you really ought to take some classes in statistics.

Go back to school or talk to some one who knows about random sampling and stratified sample and others.

You should stop listening to your friends or those around you who really did not know any about statistics or polling in general.

For anyone to say -- " Polls in general only ask the 20% of educated Hi SO--style people. ", is just showing off your lack of understanding.

Do you really know, just what only 1% of Thai population consists of? Do you?

Do you really know how many people would be involved in the poll if 20% of Thai were required, as you eluded to?

Most of the students going to Wadd MutTaYom Schools, temple middle and high schools, would be able to help you out. :jap:

A representative sample in a poll requires much less than even 1%.

But most would agree, the higher the number of sample polled, the more accurate the resultant answer would provide, statistically of course.

You are right though on the score that if a 20% sample is included in terms of population sampling, the result would be highly reliable, but only statistically.

The reliability would be high but that does not mean to include--high validity though, which is another totally different subject altogether.

The subject of statistics, reliability and validity could be a terrifying subject even for those already proving themselves successfully beyond 700 number courses.

Sorry for my rambling in excess here. :wai:

These figures cannot be argued with, as they will be true of all that were asked. The 70% of rural people would not have been asked so they wouldn't have been included.

It did say N/E BKK South, Cities ??? shows what polls can do, distort national opinion, when required. As I say depends who you ask. But If a real opinion was given across the board the poll would still have been near enough.

Over 80 per cent of Thai people disagreed with the plan to build nuclear power plants in Thailand, a recent Abac Poll by Assumption University revealed yesterday.

Please Assumption give us a break. Wasn't it your institution that made a research that girls won't have sex on Valentine's?

Was it not you that disproved this while visiting Lolita bar on same Valentines Day? Good research work.

Did you ask the Thai staff working for you, or some homeless?

Fact is that more than 80% of Thais don't know what a nuclear power plant really is. Try to explain how a microwave oven works and you'll know what they don't know.

But you come up with weird studies about things you don't really know much about, right?

Please can't you come up with a serious research instead of BS which nobody likes to read who's staying here for longer?:jap:

Precisely, abac should conduct research at venues many expats conduct theirs

atyclb

You are barking up the wrong tree, I am afraid.

Even though Assumption is not my Alma Mater, though she did offer me the opportunity way back around 1964, I feel the urge to standup for her a little.

I do not mean to be disrespectful to you personally either, but I do want to also express my humble different opinion here as well.

Anyone taking Statistics 101 from Assumption, Thiem Udom, Chula or ThumMaSart or elsewhere, would not interpret her polling results the way you did here.

The resultant polling result, one way or the other, does not mean the inefficacy of Assumption or any other institutions involved. Do you or do you not already know that?

Any polling result only reflects the opinion of those involved in the sample. It is not the institution's opinion at all. You already know this right?

When the resultant poll indicated that people did agree or did not agree with certain question in the poll; it is just that, that those people were just expressing their opinion on certain subject. The institution just collects those sampling responses and analyses them. Hopefully, no institution would want to tamper with responses collected either.

Please do not blame Assumption or any other institution conducting public opinion polls, for the resultant poll opinions collected. OK?

If anyone would want to disagree, be my guest. Thanks for the opportunity. :wai:

Sunlight is abundant in Thailand so the people are right when they reject nuclear power. Solar, wind and, possibly more abundant, tidal energy are all enough to power this country and even allow to export energy as well.

Sunlight is a lot less abundant than you think because of cloud cover and seasonal monsoons. The high tech solar panel cells required to produce that much electricity are still very expensive as well. A project like this might not see returns for decades if ever. Plus it requires all sorts of maintenance.

The best "alternative" is nuclear and that's extremely risky in a country like Thailand. It's like letting children play with the stove.

Please don't repeat any of the propaganda that simply clouds reality. Check the scientific facts. Cloud cover does not matter too much, and you can compensate for the little loss there is. Fact is that you CAN cover your total usage. Fact is also that it DOES take about a decade - NOT decadeS - to earn the investment back, no matter what your household's usage is. I strongly urge you to do the math yourself instead of simply believing what the criticasters keep repeating over and over again. Solar panels hardly require any maintenance other than a simple wipe now and again just as you clean your windows. People in rich countries buy houses of hundreds of thousands of euros/dollars. The fact they don't spend just a tiny bit extra on solar energy simply is a display of huge unawareness.

Nuclear fission is an unresponsible energy source in any country. Japan just proved that. It's statistically quite safe but when it does go wrong it goes wrong big time. For me that's enough to try all the alternatives, something humanity is not doing by far.

Edited by AgentSmith

Do you think the rural people would support nuclear power?

A good majority wouldn't understand--and wouldn't even care. But really the point of my reply is these polls never say, venders - market people- farm workers- 7-11 employees--gardeners-fishermen etc. Polls in general only ask the 20% of educated Hi SO--style people.

ginjag

I think you really ought to take some classes in statistics.

Go back to school or talk to some one who knows about random sampling and stratified sample and others.

You should stop listening to your friends or those around you who really did not know any about statistics or polling in general.

For anyone to say -- " Polls in general only ask the 20% of educated Hi SO--style people. ", is just showing off your lack of understanding.

Do you really know, just what only 1% of Thai population consists of? Do you?

Do you really know how many people would be involved in the poll if 20% of Thai were required, as you eluded to?

Most of the students going to Wadd MutTaYom Schools, temple middle and high schools, would be able to help you out. :jap:

A representative sample in a poll requires much less than even 1%.

But most would agree, the higher the number of sample polled, the more accurate the resultant answer would provide, statistically of course.

You are right though on the score that if a 20% sample is included in terms of population sampling, the result would be highly reliable, but only statistically.

The reliability would be high but that does not mean to include--high validity though, which is another totally different subject altogether.

The subject of statistics, reliability and validity could be a terrifying subject even for those already proving themselves successfully beyond 700 number courses.

Sorry for my rambling in excess here. :wai:

Sorry for rambling- Ha, why not say sorry for being downright rude. Just because you Bul##it your way through a lot of rambling, I suggest you go back to school and learn some manners.

My point was and it's fairly plain (but not to you) Stats are the LAST thing I'm interested in, polls are fine if you get the balance of people and done fairly. How can you do that in Thailand ??

You know as well as I do that most Thai people would laugh at you for asking the question, if they dont know, you would NOT get an answer, because of losing face.