Can You Live A Quality Life With Children In Isaan/Rural Areas?

farang000999

Sorry Joe,

There are native English speakers working in my area. At Ban Dong Sawang, a small village near Nakhon Phanom. The local school has started - two years ago - a project. Every half year two or three young American students / volunteers stay here for five or six months to teach English. Of course you can denie that Americans speak English, but it is a beginning :)

Nice Regards,

Marcel (Dutch)

Edited by marcel.dekorte

do they have good English language schools?

No, and they never will...they parents of most don't care, if you are going to herd Kwai, you don't need english. Agree that some schools are trying, but when the outside help stops, so will the learning.

do they have good hospitals?

No, and agree with what is said, go to Bangkok, Pattaya area if need real care. The dentist are OK.

do you feel safe?

Yes, safe as can be, but always aware of where I am. The thais don't feel completly safe.

if you live in a very nice house do you feel like u stick out like a soar thumb?

Yes, but put a big wall around it, get dogs they are afraid of and just sit back

if you were to leave the house for a year or two, would you trust that when you got back it would look the same/not have squatters

I would not leave my house unattended for a few days.

do they have good English language schools?

No, and they never will...they parents of most don't care, if you are going to herd Kwai, you don't need english. Agree that some schools are trying, but when the outside help stops, so will the learning.

do they have good hospitals?

No, and agree with what is said, go to Bangkok, Pattaya area if need real care. The dentist are OK.

do you feel safe?

Yes, safe as can be, but always aware of where I am. The thais don't feel completly safe.

if you live in a very nice house do you feel like u stick out like a soar thumb?

Yes, but put a big wall around it, get dogs they are afraid of and just sit back

if you were to leave the house for a year or two, would you trust that when you got back it would look the same/not have squatters

I would not leave my house unattended for a few days.

Well seasoned, Wildoates is.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Know of an ex-military Brit up country. Married a b-girl. She has a kid from another man and another kid with the Brit. Total alki! All three live in a studio. He drinks alllll day long. Kid acts up at the local Thai school. Not sure whats up with them now, but his life does seem hard.

Know of another couple, have two kids, two cars and live in a new house. The Thai lady has a PHD. In part I think it depends on who you hook up with!

Know of an ex-military Brit up country. Married a b-girl. She has a kid from another man and another kid with the Brit. Total alki! All three live in a studio. He drinks alllll day long. Kid acts up at the local Thai school. Not sure whats up with them now, but his life does seem hard.

Know of another couple, have two kids, two cars and live in a new house. The Thai lady has a PHD. In part I think it depends on who you hook up with!

I know of an ex military Brit who married the manager of a restaurant.

They live on 10 rai of land up country 65 km south west of Khampaeng Phet. and have another 10 rai with a shop and restaurant rented out.

They have a 3 bedroom house, the wife's mother lives in a small house on the land.

Granted the pick up is 10 years old but they have a scooter and he has a motorbike.

The wife didn't go to Uni but has done quite well.

The husband never went either and did very well.

Their son goes to a school in Khampaeng Phet that has an English language program and is no problem at school.

Neither of them drink during the day very often.

He didn't "hook" up with her but met her 18 years ago when he was sent here the first time.

They have been known each other 18 years and been married for 11 of them next week.

The son is 6.

Ain't I lucky.

Please don't run down all expats and ex military as there are quite a few of us here both in the city and out in the sticks who are quite nice people when you get to know us.

Edited by billd766

• 5 months later...

Mike

What are the school choices like in Ubon city? How did you choose? What are the costs? How does it compare to South Korea? I heard of a school called Benchamat. What's your opinion of it? Thanks for the info

a)do they have good English language schools? b)do they have good hospitals? c)do you feel safe? d)if you live in a very nice house do you feel like u stick out like a soar thumb? e)if you were to leave the house for a year or two, would you trust that when you got back it would look the same/not have squatters?

I'm from Ubon and my answers are based upon my own experience.

a: My kid's are going to Thai elementary schools. The only English they get comes from home.

b: The small stuff, I don't worry, but a major operation, then I would be looking elsewhere.

c: Yes, Many close relatives of the wife work in the police department here.

d: All the farang houses are very large in my neighborhood.

e: We also lived for 5 years in South Korea and other relatives lived rent-free in our house and the house still looked the same.

Which area of Issan interests you?

Safety -No problems .I have live in C.Buriram for about 15 years, not had a problem,except for one crazed Lao Khao twit. Hospitals - have been using Govt. hospitals for 21 years.Have never been to a private hospital. Very happy with the treatment I have received. Be aware ,you also have local Soi clinics ,for when you do something stupid, like cut yourself- or stub your toe. They are very good for minor annoyances.Education -Crap, for English. Same for computers. If I needed to talk to a teacher, I would speak in English to my children, who would then translate into an "asian" language, of which 4 are spoken in my village ,teacher would answer ,then, my children would translate back into English. These schools that use volunteers, are better than nothing, but they ARE NOT teachers,so, be warned.Housing? 15 years ago ,I bought a small comfortable house on 1 Rai of land ,for only B 50,000. I , personally don't like "farang " who build McMansions. I prefer to "fit in" in my Thai community.

I suppose this might depend on whereabouts in Isaan you are - it is a big place. I enjoyed living in my wifes village which was about 45 mins from Nong Khai along the river but the chances of our daughter getting a half decent education there were pretty remote.

We moved to Pattaya last year as it gives us far more access to quality schools - it was a toss up between Chiang Mai and Pattaya but settled on Pattaya because of the beaches (my excuse and i am sticking to it!)

You settled for pattaya for the beaches haha

Hospitals - have been using Govt. hospitals for 21 years.Have never been to a private hospital.

You're a BLUDGER 'afarang', 21 years using the government hospitals because you're so tight to pay private. You're an hypocrite. By using the cheap option you're clogging up the system
I have no desire to be a "BLUDGER' on the Thai Govt..and their medical or health care system.
Well whyuse them for 21 years ? Hypocrite. Afarang the above quote is yours from another thread. If you don't want to be a BLUDGER, then why use them ? Just by using the government hospitals you're getting medical treatment on the cheap, so you're using them. And you had the audacity to moan about me cuz I have a Thai medical card and pay nothing. Well I do when I get admitted, I pay for a private room. That money is used to enhance the conditions of the hospital. Do you really think that the money that you pay at the government hospital really covers the treatment you receive ? Of course it does not, and you know it. BLUDGER. Edited by sinbin

You might indeed ask, zzaa! If she wants to enter an English-speaking University, or get a job with a Western company, she will be judged partly on her written English... spoken as well, of course. My own concern you know already... I was an English teacher for many years, and take a great pride in my mother tongue.

OK. Makes sense. Those handful of individuals that wish to pursue such futures, would naturally follow this path. As to the greater vast majority of everyday average Thais - English is irrelevant and moot. Those whom have any such reasons to take on the language of choice, should chase it down with gusto.

The OP is not "an everyday, average Thai". He/She is a farang, at least according to his forum name. Whether the child is a luk krung, I don't think we know, but anyway it is fairly evident that OP envisages a possible non-Thai future for the kid. In such a case, written English could well be important.

Agreed.

There is also the question of the opportunity for advancement. This may be of no interest "an average, everyday Thai" but more open-minded families will recognise that proficiency in English (spoken and written) could lead to greater opportunities.

This seems to have been accepted by the ASEAN group in general but I fear that the Thai authorities may just pay lip service to adopting English as the common working language.

Mike

What are the school choices like in Ubon city? How did you choose? What are the costs? How does it compare to South Korea? I heard of a school called Benchamat. What's your opinion of it? Thanks for the info

a)do they have good English language schools? b)do they have good hospitals? c)do you feel safe? d)if you live in a very nice house do you feel like u stick out like a soar thumb? e)if you were to leave the house for a year or two, would you trust that when you got back it would look the same/not have squatters?

a: My kid's are going to Thai elementary schools. The only English they get comes from home.

b: The small stuff, I don't worry, but a major operation, then I would be looking elsewhere.

e: We also lived for 5 years in South Korea and other relatives lived rent-free in our house and the house still looked the same.

My children are still very young, the girl is going to turn 3 in a couple of months, she goes to a private kindergarten. I think she pays about 4,500 Baht a school term. The school is only for Kindergarten students.

The boy is in his last year of Kindergarten and he goes to Sri Ubon http://www.sriubon.ac.th . This school ranks below Anubonratchathani.

For High Schools Benchamat ranks 1st for the city. I've only been there once and that was to judge in a English speaking contest. It is a very large school. It seems like a nice

place, but I really don't have that much info about it.

I teach at Narinulkul High School, I'm told it's ranks 2nd. They now have a private International school on the campus. Class size is about 10 students. I think only Thai and History are taught by Thai teachers whereas all other subjects are by the foreign teachers. They also have their own private classrooms,library and computer lab which is seperate from the high school.

School fees, from speaking with Thai people, the fee is based upon the quality of the student. If the student scores very high on his exams, then they get a lower price. It also helps if you are also connected with the school. Students who have low test scores end up having to pay more. An average student might have to pay more if he wants to go to Benchamat whereas a little less at Narinulkul.

The Korean system is very different than the Thai system. I've only taught primary level in Korea where max. class size is 40 students whereas here my classes are 59 students. Korean students will also have two attend school every 2nd Saturday. Also, I'm not counting the extra hours when the students go to private hagwons.

The culture here is that education is not that important when compared with Korea. Then again you are comparing a 1st world country with a 3rd world country.

The truth is Thailand doesn't have the same resources to provide each student.

For my children, they will attend regular Thai schools, ( both speak Thai and English) , I'll also help them with their English. I'll most likely send them to private schools to help with there Math and Science. I might send them to my home country for their University education.

I feel that the government public schools need improvement, but we do have access to the internet and private schools to make up for any shortfalls.

mike

Hospitals - have been using Govt. hospitals for 21 years.Have never been to a private hospital.

You're a BLUDGER 'afarang', 21 years using the government hospitals because you're so tight to pay private. You're an hypocrite. By using the cheap option you're clogging up the system
I have no desire to be a "BLUDGER' on the Thai Govt..and their medical or health care system.
Well whyuse them for 21 years ? Hypocrite. Afarang the above quote is yours from another thread. If you don't want to be a BLUDGER, then why use them ? Just by using the government hospitals you're getting medical treatment on the cheap, so you're using them. And you had the audacity to moan about me cuz I have a Thai medical card and pay nothing. Well I do when I get admitted, I pay for a private room. That money is used to enhance the conditions of the hospital. Do you really think that the money that you pay at the government hospital really covers the treatment you receive ? Of course it does not, and you know it. BLUDGER.

No really big difference between government and private hospitals. There maybe a difference in management, but the government doctors go to make their money in the private hospitals, after or inbetween their government job. Different hospitals, same doctors..... To pay for a private room makes sense, just not to stay in these big 30 people rooms.

To the OP.: Good schools in Thailand are relative. An engineer with a Thai diploma don't need to apply for a job overseas, his qualification will not be accepted. To get an international accepted diploma your kids have to join an expensive international school and they are (on a really good level of quality) rare here, studying should take place overseas. Let your kids grow up where ever you are. If they like to stay and live in Thailand they will find their way with your support, if they like to go for an international career the Thai system is not the best one to choose, eccept you have the money for it. I really think that growing up in Thailand with a good support from the parents, Thai kids will be able to find their place and life in the society. Not everybody is suitable for the high end jobs, doesn't matter what education he had.....

fatfather

• 2 weeks later...

Mike123ca

Thanks for that useful information. My wife and I will drive around and scope out the schools that you mentioned to get a better idea of what the situation is. I know I am little ahead of the curve, my daughter just turned 4 months, but I'm the type that likes to plan ahead.

Mike45

Mike

My children are still very young, the girl is going to turn 3 in a couple of months, she goes to a private kindergarten. I think she pays about 4,500 Baht a school term. The school is only for Kindergarten students.

The boy is in his last year of Kindergarten and he goes to Sri Ubon http://www.sriubon.ac.th . This school ranks below Anubonratchathani.

For High Schools Benchamat ranks 1st for the city. I've only been there once and that was to judge in a English speaking contest. It is a very large school. It seems like a nice

place, but I really don't have that much info about it.

I teach at Narinulkul High School, I'm told it's ranks 2nd. They now have a private International school on the campus. Class size is about 10 students. I think only Thai and History are taught by Thai teachers whereas all other subjects are by the foreign teachers. They also have their own private classrooms,library and computer lab which is seperate from the high school.

School fees, from speaking with Thai people, the fee is based upon the quality of the student. If the student scores very high on his exams, then they get a lower price. It also helps if you are also connected with the school. Students who have low test scores end up having to pay more. An average student might have to pay more if he wants to go to Benchamat whereas a little less at Narinulkul.

The Korean system is very different than the Thai system. I've only taught primary level in Korea where max. class size is 40 students whereas here my classes are 59 students. Korean students will also have two attend school every 2nd Saturday. Also, I'm not counting the extra hours when the students go to private hagwons.

The culture here is that education is not that important when compared with Korea. Then again you are comparing a 1st world country with a 3rd world country.

The truth is Thailand doesn't have the same resources to provide each student.

For my children, they will attend regular Thai schools, ( both speak Thai and English) , I'll also help them with their English. I'll most likely send them to private schools to help with there Math and Science. I might send them to my home country for their University education.

I feel that the government public schools need improvement, but we do have access to the internet and private schools to make up for any shortfalls.

mike