Can You Live A Quality Life With Children In Isaan/Rural Areas?

farang000999

do they have good English language schools?

do they have good hospitals?

do you feel safe?

if you live in a very nice house do you feel like u stick out like a soar thumb?

if you were to leave the house for a year or two, would you trust that when you got back it would look the same/not have squatters?

Edited by farang000999

a)do they have good English language schools?

b)do they have good hospitals?

c)do you feel safe?

d)if you live in a very nice house do you feel like u stick out like a soar thumb?

e)if you were to leave the house for a year or two, would you trust that when you got back it would look the same/not have squatters?

a: don't know about schools, no school age kids

b: don't personalty know about hospitals, but I hear from others that they are pretty good.

c: always feel very safe

d: depend where you build, some areas you will not, others you will certainly stand out.

e: it might not have squatters, but it will certainly not look the same. but this is true for most places in Thailand.

a)do they have good English language schools?

b)do they have good hospitals?

c)do you feel safe?

d)if you live in a very nice house do you feel like u stick out like a soar thumb?

e)if you were to leave the house for a year or two, would you trust that when you got back it would look the same/not have squatters?

a: don't know about schools, no school age kids

b: don't personalty know about hospitals, but I hear from others that they are pretty good.

c: always feel very safe

d: depend where you build, some areas you will not, others you will certainly stand out.

e: it might not have squatters, but it will certainly not look the same. but this is true for most places in Thailand.

Let me start off by saying that I love Issan and would very much like to live there full time, BUT in answer to your questions.

a: Even though I have a house in Buriram province, I made the decision to move to Chiangmai for my childrens education, I was not happy with what was available in Buriram.

b: My experience with the hospitals (Gov't & private) has been positive, no complaints, didn't break the bank.

c: I always feel safe, NEVER felt uncomfortable, have always felt welcomed.

d: Not really, there are a few other falangs in the village with nice houses and even some of the villagers have attractive homes. The only thing that stands out with my home is the size of the property.

e:We have a live in guard service, the in-laws! So I guess I already have squatters.....seriously, I live on a well traveled highway and even though the locals might not do anything it's the others who travel this road that would break in a gut the house.

Edited by Diablo Bob

a)do they have good English language schools? b)do they have good hospitals? c)do you feel safe? d)if you live in a very nice house do you feel like u stick out like a soar thumb? e)if you were to leave the house for a year or two, would you trust that when you got back it would look the same/not have squatters?

I'm from Ubon and my answers are based upon my own experience.

a: My kid's are going to Thai elementary schools. The only English they get comes from home.

b: The small stuff, I don't worry, but a major operation, then I would be looking elsewhere.

c: Yes, Many close relatives of the wife work in the police department here.

d: All the farang houses are very large in my neighborhood.

e: We also lived for 5 years in South Korea and other relatives lived rent-free in our house and the house still looked the same.

Which area of Issan interests you?

Edited by mike123ca

I'm considering for the future, perhaps nong khai or nakhon phanom although Nakon Phanom might be too quiet.

1. I'm an English teacher near Nakhon Phanom. With regards to English language schools, I'm not sure if there are any. However, most Thai schools are aiming for world class standard, which means teaching science, maths, computing, social studies all in English. This usually means that there will be 1 class that will have all their lessons in English. Check and see whether the school has any Native English teachers there or not. I teach in a rural Mattayom level school, but my director is very keen on having Native English speakers at school and has allocated a budget for 3 farang. Even the prathom in town will have 2 farang next semester. However, a larger more prestigious school near here does not have any farang because the director sees it as a waste of money. It's all a bit hit and miss.

I've heard good things about the Princess Chulabhorn School in Mukdahan, although a Thai school. I tutored a student from there last year over the semester break, her English was amazing and she was saying that they do a international exchange programme, so there are international students who attend there every semester.

2. Had experience of both Thai Govt and Private Hospitals and they've been pretty positive. However, never had to go for anything major.

3. I've always felt safe in my little village. This is as a single woman and people tend to keep an eye out for me. Sometimes I like to go out for a walk in the village but I'll have at least 5 villagers stop and ask me if I need a lift and tell me it's very dangerous for me to walk.

4. No farangs in the village own a house but a lot of the Thai teachers have massive houses in the village. They do stick out but there doesn't seem to be jealousy related to it, most people comment how beautiful they are.

My two cents are certainly generalizations and stereotypes....

yes, if you have the money for private schools (sounds like you do) but they must be checked out as mentioned.

yes, if you shell out some extra baht for VIP or a private hospital.

do you feel safe?

yes, but not as safe as i felt in my home country. but the only reason i feel as safe as i do is because we live in my wifes village and she has alot of family. if i was living away from my wifes family i would add layered security measures. yes, you may be friendly with your neighbours and they will probably not be the ones to break into your house. But with no family around there are no repercusions for the thieves theft should they be found out (from family). Obviously they are not afraid of jail time. Even if you live close to family, make sure you close and lock the windows at night....

if you live in a very nice house do you feel like u stick out like a soar thumb?

yes, but not like a soar thumb. More like a golden thumb. Of course my "very nice house" could be alot different from yours. I am not way over the top but certainly have one of the nicest houses in the village. It certainly generates respect and status for my wife and her family but I still just a farang of course.

if you were to leave the house for a year or two, would you trust that when you got back it would look the same/not have squatters?

Absolutely, with no family around. Not a chance, with family around. With family around though a pressure sprayer would need to be on hand upon returning. After that some new paint and a couple months of fixing all the breakdowns. Not necessarily caused by the family but the family will not be concerned to fix things. Much better situation though than had squatters taken over...

By your questions I would guess that you would do much better in an upcountry city. Especially if you plan to live away from your wifes family. Which I don't recommend. Your wifes family will give your kids tonnes of love, affection and attention. Back in your home country they'll just be average, here they'll be little superstars. Very good for their self-esteem and self-expectations as they grow older in IMO.

You could be a different story. You must spend a couple weeks to a month in a rural area to get an inkling of what you are getting yourself into. If you came from a small town back home and don't mind people poking about your business you will do just fine. If you like things around the house just so and value privacy make sure you build a house in the city and not in the sticks.......

Thai schools are aiming for world class standard, which means teaching science, maths, computing, social studies all in English.

Surely, you're jesting, yes? It's never been apart of the Thai educational system to widely attain any such attentive progressive strides within there sphere of influence. Promoting critical and independent thought process is not in the works. Less in their native Thai. less in English. Though, I certainly can appreciate your good intent but your observations are less than innocent. And added note: what might world class standard mean?

Thai schools are aiming for world class standard, which means teaching science, maths, computing, social studies all in English.

Surely, you're jesting, yes? It's never been apart of the Thai educational system to widely attain any such attentive progressive strides within there sphere of influence. Promoting critical and independent thought process is not in the works. Less in their native Thai. less in English. Though, I certainly can appreciate your good intent but your observations are less than innocent. And added note: what might world class standard mean?

Things are changing, zzaa... slowly, reluctantly, but they are changing. It is bound to be slow because the teachers themselves cannot think independently, so don't know how to encourage their students to do so. ("World class standard" doesn't really mean very much; compared with whom? the Americans, the British, the French, the Germans, the Israelis (who probably have the best of the lot)?)

Why does the OP ask "do they have good English language schools" ? Children will pick up on the language that is spoken to them. My daughters English is just as good as her Lao and Cambodian if not better. Proper Thai is rarely spoken, other than at school. In our house we only speak English and only English spoken programs are watched on the TV. My wife condones this, and uses it to help better her English. No need for a English tutor for us.

Edited by sinbin

I suppose this might depend on whereabouts in Isaan you are - it is a big place. I enjoyed living in my wifes village which was about 45 mins from Nong Khai along the river but the chances of our daughter getting a half decent education there were pretty remote.

We moved to Pattaya last year as it gives us far more access to quality schools - it was a toss up between Chiang Mai and Pattaya but settled on Pattaya because of the beaches (my excuse and i am sticking to it!)

Why does the OP ask "do they have good English language schools" ? Children will pick up on the language that is spoken to them. My daughters English is just as good as her Lao and Cambodian if not better. Proper Thai is rarely spoken, other than at school. In our house we only speak English and only English spoken programs are watched on the TV. My wife condones this, and uses it to help better her English. No need for a English tutor for us.

Sorry that should read my wife concurs with this.

Spoken English is the first stage... but what about her written English?

I might even ask the reasons for such obsessiveness....??

I might even ask the reasons for such obsessiveness....??

You might indeed ask, zzaa! If she wants to enter an English-speaking University, or get a job with a Western company, she will be judged partly on her written English... spoken as well, of course. My own concern you know already... I was an English teacher for many years, and take a great pride in my mother tongue.

I'm considering for the future, perhaps nong khai or nakhon phanom although Nakon Phanom might be too quiet.

1. I'm an English teacher near Nakhon Phanom. With regards to English language schools, I'm not sure if there are any. However, most Thai schools are aiming for world class standard, which means teaching science, maths, computing, social studies all in English. This usually means that there will be 1 class that will have all their lessons in English. Check and see whether the school has any Native English teachers there or not. I teach in a rural Mattayom level school, but my director is very keen on having Native English speakers at school and has allocated a budget for 3 farang. Even the prathom in town will have 2 farang next semester. However, a larger more prestigious school near here does not have any farang because the director sees it as a waste of money. It's all a bit hit and miss.

I've heard good things about the Princess Chulabhorn School in Mukdahan, although a Thai school. I tutored a student from there last year over the semester break, her English was amazing and she was saying that they do a international exchange programme, so there are international students who attend there every semester.

2. Had experience of both Thai Govt and Private Hospitals and they've been pretty positive. However, never had to go for anything major.

3. I've always felt safe in my little village. This is as a single woman and people tend to keep an eye out for me. Sometimes I like to go out for a walk in the village but I'll have at least 5 villagers stop and ask me if I need a lift and tell me it's very dangerous for me to walk.

4. No farangs in the village own a house but a lot of the Thai teachers have massive houses in the village. They do stick out but there doesn't seem to be jealousy related to it, most people comment how beautiful they are.

For some reason I cannot reply to the OP directly so I use this post to give my two baht.

Many times, in many topics, I'm struck by the lack of understanding of the meaning of "rural" Isan.

Also in this post the OP asks questions about living in Isan/rural villages, but later explains he thinks of Nong khai, and Nakom phanom being too quiet....!

Rural Isan IS quiet, very quiet, rural Isan is NOT large cities like Udon, Khon kaen, Sakon nakhon, Korat.

I live in rural Isan, a small village with 250 inhabitants, the total tambon of 9 villages counts for about 10,000 inhabitants. That is rural, remote.

Of course there is no large hospital here, the closest is in Udon, 75 km away. No university other than in Udon, no English language schools of course.

But no worries about safety or leaving your house alone, everybody knows everybody and any stranger (with wrong intentions) passing by feels the looks of the locals: Ee yang?

So rural Isan has its advantages, a lot I would say, but don't look for all the requirements OP is asking for, stay in large cities with all the comfort you like.

To this English teacher, I agree with zzaa09, you must be joking. Classes of math, computing all in English? In a small village there is hardly education in computing, very bad teaching of English language makes 15 years old youngsters unable to speak English, after 7/8 years of "classes". In my tambon school there are 3 teachers for English, 2 of them excuse themselves when seeing me, saying Sorry Joe, cannot speak English with you, my English not good enough. THEY teach my daughter English!

So don't tell me rural Isan village schools have native English teachers, they don't, don't have the budget, don't have the will.

Mind you I talk about government schools, the majority of schools for millions of Isan kids, not the private schools for the more privileged.

Joe

Don't see what all the fuss is about, kid goes to school becomes a Teacher, Nurse or Engineer, gets a job, buys a house marries has a family. Sound familiar. Only difference is my kids will grow up in a village surrounded by Aunts, Uncles and Cousins and will always call this home.

Sometimes wonder when I hear Farangs going on about how things, schools, hosptals are so much better in the west and if there kids don't get a western education they will be doomed to a life of poverty, living on the streets. If life was all so rosey where we came from we wouldn't be here. Jim

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet on the other side of Thailand from Isaan.

My sons is now 6 and 7 in August.

He spent his first "real" year at school in Amphur Klong Lan 17 km away, his second at a bigger school just outside K Phet 60 km away that actually had 1 farang from Aus and I think a Filipino as English teachers.

He was happy there but this year he is off to the Anuban school in K Phet proper where there are 9 farang teachers teaching Science, Maths, Computing, Social Studies and English Language.

He had to take a test to get in there and there are 4 kids from the village attending and they all went to his previous school.

I feel that is my job to give him the best start I can in life.

My Dad was a horse and cart driver and in later life he was a roadsweeper and my Mum was a cleaner in a hospital. They did what they could for me and I think I turned out fairly well.

My first son in the UK has always been in the motor car industry and at 33 today he is a regional manager for Renault Cars UK and prior to that he was a regional manager for Fiat trucks and vans.

Now it is my second chance and I am now retired. My Thai wife ran a small restaurant in Bangkok and has her own place up here which is closed at the moment due to there being a lack of money around.

From the OP

do you feel safe?

K Phet is very rural so are the hospitals therefore I would probably have to go to Nakhon Sawan, BKK or Chiang Mai.

I fell so safe around here that quite often I will pop down the village and not bother to close the doors or windows and in the nearly 8 years we have lived here (touch wood) nothing has ever been stolen. As an earlier poster mentioned all the villagers around here sort of know or are related in some way to everybody else and strangers are easy to pick out.

We have a reasonable 3 bedroom house on 10 rai and some of the family would live here while we were away so no problems on that score.

On the other hand if I had a house in the UK that I left for a couple of years I would expect squatters and vandalism as it seems to happen more and more.

Where I live is a rural farming area and the main problem is trying to teach my chickens to tell the time and NOT TO START crowing in the middle of the night.

Agreed 100%.

Possibly in the city of Korat you may find a couple of OK schools and a nice private hospital.

I tried life in a Isan town and found the schools and hospitals of a low level and I am very sad that I even gave the small town life in Isan a try.

We have two small kids and live in Bangkok now and are very happy.

You might indeed ask, zzaa! If she wants to enter an English-speaking University, or get a job with a Western company, she will be judged partly on her written English... spoken as well, of course. My own concern you know already... I was an English teacher for many years, and take a great pride in my mother tongue.

OK. Makes sense. Those handful of individuals that wish to pursue such futures, would naturally follow this path. As to the greater vast majority of everyday average Thais - English is irrelevant and moot. Those whom have any such reasons to take on the language of choice, should chase it down with gusto.

OK. Makes sense. Those handful of individuals that wish to pursue such futures, would naturally follow this path. As to the greater vast majority of everyday average Thais - English is irrelevant and moot. Those whom have any such reasons to take on the language of choice, should chase it down with gusto.

The OP is not "an everyday, average Thai". He/She is a farang, at least according to his forum name. Whether the child is a luk krung, I don't think we know, but anyway it is fairly evident that OP envisages a possible non-Thai future for the kid. In such a case, written English could well be important.

The OP is not "an everyday, average Thai". He/She is a farang, at least according to his forum name. Whether the child is a luk krung, I don't think we know, but anyway it is fairly evident that OP envisages a possible non-Thai future for the kid. In such a case, written English could well be important.

Agreed.

No. The best of what is available is dire and would not allow a child to go to a western education system at the same age group. That surely must be a bare minimum which parents aspire to is it not ? Then again, most people cannot or will not pay for decent education which at a rough average comes out at around 600k a year. I do not know of many who have put away around 12-15m, yes 12-15m baht per child to allow them to attend university "back home" and pay foreign student fees (3 year course would come in a little under 10m).

Compared to where ? the middle of Africa perhaps. Compared to the first world, no way. Get to a major metropolis if you need anything more urgent than an aspirin.

do you feel safe?

As opposed to feeling unsafe, then yes but everything could change instantly if any one of them decided that they wanted what you had got.

Simply reinforces what you have, what they aspire to have and what they will never have. Read the above answer.

if you were to leave the house for a year or two, would you trust that when you got back it would look the same/not have squatters

Leave it unguarded and they'd strip it bare in no time but probably not squat. Even when you live there you put thick metal bars over the windows. In what normal country do you need to do that ? the slums of South Africa ? Mexico City ? Certainly not in nice places.

Leave it unguarded and they'd strip it bare in no time but probably not squat. Even when you live there you put thick metal bars over the windows. In what normal country do you need to do that ? the slums of South Africa ? Mexico City ? Certainly not in nice places.

thick metal bars a good 10 mm thick, not exactly fort knox.

I live in a nice area of Australia and have security screens on my house which is same same but different :lol::lol:

No. The best of what is available is dire and would not allow a child to go to a western education system at the same age group. That surely must be a bare minimum which parents aspire to is it not ? Then again, most people cannot or will not pay for decent education which at a rough average comes out at around 600k a year. I do not know of many who have put away around 12-15m, yes 12-15m baht per child to allow them to attend university "back home" and pay foreign student fees (3 year course would come in a little under 10m).

Compared to where ? the middle of Africa perhaps. Compared to the first world, no way. Get to a major metropolis if you need anything more urgent than an aspirin.

do you feel safe?

As opposed to feeling unsafe, then yes but everything could change instantly if any one of them decided that they wanted what you had got.

Simply reinforces what you have, what they aspire to have and what they will never have. Read the above answer.

if you were to leave the house for a year or two, would you trust that when you got back it would look the same/not have squatters

SGD doesn't sound like you live in a good place. I have never had any problems in over 8 years, but I live in a border village, where if I piss out my window it lands on next doors bed. No bars, no front door,. Walk straight in to the common area from the street. Seems that those who have a problems are those who built big farang mini mansions on 5 or 10 Rai on a main road far from the village. Jim

do you feel safe?

SGD doesn't sound like you live in a good place. I have never had any problems in over 8 years, but I live in a border village, where if I piss out my window it lands on next doors bed. No bars, no front door,. Walk straight in to the common area from the street. Seems that those who have a problems are those who built big farang mini mansions on 5 or 10 Rai on a main road far from the village. Jim

Hmmmmm :ermm:

I live 500 meters outside our border village, in a "Big Mansion", on 200 rai on a main road, but have had no bars, open windows, open door for 7 years, and no problems! :D

I have a couple of dogs though! ;)

do you feel safe?

Hmmmmm :ermm:

I live 500 meters outside our border village, in a "Big Mansion", on 200 rai on a main road, but have had no bars, open windows, open door for 7 years, and no problems! :D

I have a couple of dogs though! ;)

Think your case is somewhate different Trond, you built your own village. Jim