Where Am I?

SteeleJoe

Here's a challenge (or maybe not -- perhaps I'm just not that clever): I barely know Hua Hin. I need a map that shows me where the following are (and obviously their relative positions):

• Nature valley housing estate ("around 3.5 kms from Black Mountain Golf Course and a few minutes drive from HuaHin Town and the Main Beach" according to website ).
  • Villa Supermarket
  • Decent public beach (nearest to Nature Valley)

I have these but I've yet to relate them to an actual map of Hua Hin that shows the other places of interest:

Nature Valley

nature valley 2

Villa

Would greatly appreciate a link to a map that shows what I need or a clue as to how to position these things on actual maps. Thanks in advance.

Edited by SteeleJoe

I don't think you'll find any housing projects in Hua Hin that doesn't claim to be "only five minutes to beach and town center" even though they are located absolutely in the middle of nowhere :whistling: (not saying this is the case for the project in question as I have no clue where it is)

But I would second the suggestion of Skint, use google maps to pin the positions you need and see the distance between them.

Villa Supermarket - on main road same side and in between market village and grand market but before grand market. Can't really miss it ......

Good Public beach? - Only two I would call good to half decent are both a few km's south of HH, closist one is at a Army base (don't recall name but has a tran station) and Kao Tao (5mins further from the previous one) .

Wouldn't go to HH beach or Kao Takiab they both suck.

Good Public beach? - Only two I would call good to half decent are both a few km's south of HH, closist one is at a Army base (don't recall name but has a tran station) and Kao Tao (5mins further from the previous one) .

Takiab beach south of Takiab mountain isn't bad. It connects with Sea Pine Beach at the Army base that you mentioned.

Takiab beach south of Takiab mountain isn't bad. It connects with Sea Pine Beach at the Army base that you mentioned.

With the view of monkey mountain to the West and the army beach a few KM's east? I still thought it sucked and was over crowded with stupid farangs, old men in thongs isn't my idea of great beach sceneary either ...

Thanks folks.

• I could probably work out how to make a map with Google -- if I had addresses, which I don't.
  • I actually know where Villa is. Went a couple times last year and remember it (and indeed it's hard to miss). What I don't know is where it is in relation to Nature Valley -- becasue I haven't worked out where Nature Valley is on a map (haven't ever been there) and can't really suss out Hua Hin very well on maps as I barely know the place.
  • I know Nature valley isn't near a beach - I wouldn't have expected it for the price I'm paying. It doesn't matter much as the beach is a low priority and at most we'd go twice in 10 days. What I asked about was the said was the nearest beach (not one that was near).
  • Doesn't have to be a great beach. I've lived on some of Thailand's very best beaches and I'm not going to Hua Hin for an unspoiled tropical paradise; just wan't some sand and the ocean for the kiddies.

Oh, well. I traveled all over SEA without much info at all (and in the days when there wasn't the internet to ask people) and generally managed to get where I wanted to go -- and that was when I couldn't speak Thai and didn't know anything about Thailand. I'm sure it'll work out. Just thought I might be able to simplify things pre-armed with some local knowledge and such.

Hi SteeleJoe,

I live in Hua Hin and have put together a Google map showing (I think) the relevant locations, although as the satellite imagery is a bit out of date it is hard to exactly pinpoint both Black Mountain and Nature Valley, but the markers are close enough for your purposes I think.

You can find the map by clicking here

I hope it is of some help.

Wanderlust --

Wow, very kind of you. I've been in LoS for decades (but have spent very little time in Hua Hin) so who knows -- maybe I can somethow retrun the favor some time. hope so.

Cheers.

(It's a shame I'm too thick to find Black Mountain or Nature Valley marked on your map but it still helps since I can see roughly where they are based on theire relative positions to the Royal Golf Course and Hin Lek Fai -- again, thanks)

EDIT:

Oh, wait -- I think I found them. Close enough anyway...

Edited by SteeleJoe

Villa Supermarket - on main road same side and in between market village and grand market but before grand market. Can't really miss it ......

Market Village and the Grand Hotel are just under 1km apart, Villa market is NOT before the Grand Hotel but 200 metres after The Grand Hotel/Market on Soi 84. :lol:

Villa Market on Soi 84

Market Village Soi 88/1

Tesco Express between Soi 53 and Soi 55

All the above on the Petchakasem Rd

G Supermarket on Soi 55 across the railway lines 30m on the left. :jap:

Here you go Joe...

Showed a couple of other landmarks to help, you'll see the 'right turn' signs to Kiri Nakara on the main Pala-U Road, ie: the mountain road coming out of town.

All the sites I've marked on are built, this is a very old map image.

Burgernev

post-29023-0-40695200-1301939528_thumb.j

post-29023-0-28607500-1301941109_thumb.j

Edited by Burgernev

Hey, you guys are great. At first I got no responses and then some that seemed as if people weren't really interested in helping (can't blame them) but you and Wanderlust's efforts are really appreciated.

Thanks Burgernev. Very decent of you (Like I told Wanderlust, maybe I can return the favor some day.)

Another challenge -- these are new topics but far too trivial to start a new thread I should think:

A

I've been told of being able to take a card and pay for a short term hook up to satellite TV. Never heard of such a thing before but I'm sure I haven't been lied to. My questions are as follows for anyone who knows can be bothered to answer them:

1) Precisely where do I take this card?

2) What's the cost for 10 days (or the closest to that possible)?

3) What service is provided (is it True or some other provider?)

B

For reasons I won't get into, we will be without a car for the whole time we are in Hua Hin and do not want to rent one. Any guesstimation on how much for a round trip via taxi/tuk tuk from where we'll be (as shown on the maps in this thread) and Villa, the beach, or wherever I go with my aforementioned satellite TV card?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows and can be bothered to answer any or all of the above.

Another challenge -- these are new topics but far too trivial to start a new thread I should think:

A

I've been told of being able to take a card and pay for a short term hook up to satellite TV. Never heard of such a thing before but I'm sure I haven't been lied to. My questions are as follows for anyone who knows can be bothered to answer them:

1) Precisely where do I take this card?

2) What's the cost for 10 days (or the closest to that possible)?

3) What service is provided (is it True or some other provider?)

B

For reasons I won't get into, we will be without a car for the whole time we are in Hua Hin and do not want to rent one. Any guesstimation on how much for a round trip via taxi/tuk tuk from where we'll be (as shown on the maps in this thread) and Villa, the beach, or wherever I go with my aforementioned satellite TV card?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows and can be bothered to answer any or all of the above.

Cost you a fortune on tuktuks and taxis, certain rip off in Hua Hin, rent a motorbike, you don't need a car here anyway (unless you want to sit in traffic for an 30mins) only need one unless you traveiling outside a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

What a pain!

Suddenly the house we had arranged is not available but we are offered something that is supposedly closer to the shops and what have you:

Laguna

I'm going to press my luck with you kind folks and ask if anyone can give me any info on this NEW location (ie where it is on a map or relative to beach, Villa etc).

What a pain!

Suddenly the house we had arranged is not available but we are offered something that is supposedly closer to the shops and what have you:

Laguna

I'm going to press my luck with you kind folks and ask if anyone can give me any info on this NEW location (ie where it is on a map or relative to beach, Villa etc).

I have a friend who lives on Laguna which is just off soi 102; nice houses. It is south of the town centre but closer than the one you asked about before. I have marked it on the same map as I created before. It will certainly be easier and cheaper to travel to and from town from there i think, plus you are also closer to where the nicer beaches are, and Khao Takiab, which is a quieter but steadily growing place south of Hua Hin. Soi 102 also has some decent bars and places to eat. On the opposite side of the main road across from soi 102 is a hotel called Sailom which has a very nice beachside restaurant and is very reasonable too. I don't know if you are bothered about playing golf but you are in easy reach of at least 3 golf courses from there too.

Hope that helps.

Isn't Soi 102 the one that floods in the rainy season? If Laguna is not on the flooding part of the soi, are there alternative routes out to get to Petchkasem and beyond?

Isn't Soi 102 the one that floods in the rainy season? If Laguna is not on the flooding part of the soi, are there alternative routes out to get to Petchkasem and beyond?

It had bad floods last year in about October, and certainly that area is basically a flood plain, but every year they seem to do more work on the drainage systems in Hua Hin so who knows? I was told that the reason for the bad floods last year (and possibly previous years) was that the sluice gates into the sea had been chained and padlocked shut, but I don't know if that necessarily would have made much difference as the rain was intense. Laguna itself I don't think gets flooding but access, as far as I know, is only via Soi 102. Generally i would say it would be an inconvenience for a relatively short period rather than anything else, but it depends how long the OP is going to be staying there I guess. If you are only there for a month, and a couple of weeks of that there is heavy rain and some flooding it will spoil the trip, but in a six month stay its just a blip.

Edited by Lite Beer
Off Topic comments edited.

I have only just seen this and while my first instinct was to ignore it, as it effectively attacks my wife's business I believe I have a right and a duty to respond.

One thread on the 'Alternative Stuff' sub forum was about Al-Qaeda being a CIA/Pentagon run organisation,

Say what, whose business? This poster is sincerely wrong in thinking what he writes about the CIA & Al Qaeda is right so lets move to Dixie, where all that is needed to connect is knowledge

I would suggest (and I am sure the moderators of this forum would agree) that you address your thoughts about posts on another forum on that forum, not this one. I would also suggest that you do so, not by posting videos, but by actually engaging in debate as you have now been asked to do twice. Songs or video clips can be interpreted in many different ways by many different people, so to expect others to know what you are on about when you won't actually say it yourself is stupid. However the song in question doesn't require any more 'knowledge' than what the writer himself has said about it - Robbie Robertson. Go look it up. And yes, the business in question is owned by my wife, not that I should need to repeat it. However I have the power to act on her behalf, and your membership of our forum will be short lived if you carry on like this. Hopefully it will be short lived on here too.

I would also suggest that you do so, not by posting videos, but by actually engaging in debate as you have now been asked to do twice. Songs or video clips can be interpreted in many different ways by many different people, so to expect others to know what you are on about when you won't actually say it yourself is stupid. However the song in question doesn't require any more 'knowledge' than what the writer himself has said about it - Robbie Robertson. Go look it up.

What's so funny, is that you have assumed all along that I am Dixie, because of what I have posted here on TV. Well prepare to be surprised, because I am not! I wouldn't go anywhere near your little rag or its on-line version and the loons that post there - Dixie excluded of course.

I am not he and I bet he is finding this so funny. :jap: