Thailand: Tourism And The Truth . Bbc3 9Pm Tonight

coolhandjoe

Agree that the presenter was irritating at times! I wonder how many people we know whose children live with their grandparents in Thailand? This is quite the cultural norm for Thailand. My partner's son lives with his grandmother and I have many friends in the same situation. It felt a bit like the presenter was blaming the hotel or the tourists for this when in fact this happens throughout Thailand and not just in the tourist areas!

Curious as to whether the government will keep their 'promise' about the sea gypsies land!! Not optimistic about that!

Watched it ..... utter garbage, switched channel half way through. The presenter had absolutely no knowledge of the country at all. Wai'ing young kids and the only Thai she spoke was a condescending Sawasdee Ka. It could have been 'interesting' or 'watchable' if they'd only used someone who knew where they were and what they were doing. As a program for someone who has never been to the country it could possibly have been interesting but for those with a little 'local' knowledge it was a total waste of time.

An ex shop assistant who showed she was well out of her depth trying to change things she had very little to no experience of.

Edited by South

Watched it...what a load of rubbish, the presenter applying her limited understanding of Thai life/culture....just loved the moments when she gave a 'horrified' look on her face....'you haven't seen your kids for a month?' , 'You only earn 7000 baht a month?', 'You have to share this room with two other people?', 'You have to work 6 days a week?' ohmy.gif

Particularly liked the Thai worker saying 'I can't afford a Starbucks coffee' rolleyes.gif

So funny when she stated she was going to meet the 'Prime Minister' to discuss some land ownership issues...... of course you are dear!

Think she should let the tourists get their 'bargain' Thai holidays and she should get back to her cushy London flat!

If she thinks that she uncovered something with this report.......I'd like to know what it was! She has uncovered normal (albeit the lower end of the social scale) Thai life!

Who's truth ?

Yermanee

And why in Phuket where most of the workers have been recruited from other parts of the country since not enough locals available amongst one of the many reasons why workers are away from their families?

Yermanee

ditto - i guess not only starbucks is not available to locals - even bbc is out of reach - wonder what sort of shocked look she will have on her face when she realizes that = LOL

it says "not available in your area"

but I could read the headline:

Thailand: Tourism and the Truth - Stacey Dooley Investigates

probably just another rant by a frustrated western female.

Yes, watched half of it before I had to turn over. Usual BBC reporters, thinking they know about everything. Why don't they get people who know a bit about the culture to do these shows. I cant believe anybody really learned anything from watching this. Life is hard for average Thai people- who didn't know that already.

Just more amunition for people who have never been to Thailand to give me their opinion on the place.

There'll be another one in a couple of months, probably about prostitutes as usual.

Half arsed reporters, the world is full of them.