Ford Ranger T6 2.2 Tdci

Whats the engine range for the bt50? Same as the ranger including the 3.2?

Yep, chassis (done by Mazda), engine and transmissions (both Ford) are shared between the two.

Cool, but its's hard to get over the soft look front and rear - very different from the ranger. Having said that, the ppv/suv mockups based on the ranger don't do much for me either. It seems this softer look might be better off on the 7-seat versions rather than workhorse pickup trucks that should have a tough aura about them.

Yep, the problem facing the BT-50 is that some will love it, some will tolerate it, and others would rather poke out their eyes than look at it ;)

It's too polarizing IMHO - the Chev Colorado is too, to a lesser degree - the Ranger gets it most right IMHO.

As for the next Everest, I'm not sure what mockups you've seen, but this is more than likely the closest to what it'll be:

fordexplorer2011.jpg

Yep, it's the US market Explorer :D It's easy to see the T6 Ranger borrowd a lot of ideas from this, and Ford have already told us the next Everest will be getting hand-me-down tech/styling/ideas from the Explorer.

Still maybe that is what you've seen, but it doesn't do it for you ;)

hehe No what I saw was a ranger with a back stuck on it. But I also recall this everest that you talked about previously. This looks hot. Could they keep a fully loaded 3.2 version for less than 1.4M do you think? I can't see it being cheaper than the top model PJS

On the PJS, I saw they are bringing out a 2.4 petrol engine motor, do you know much about that? I think it's around 800K. Would be a good deal if it's lpg/cng compatible. But I think it's 2wd manual so not suitable for many.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hehe No what I saw was a ranger with a back stuck on it. But I also recall this everest that you talked about previously. This looks hot. Could they keep a fully loaded 3.2 version for less than 1.4M do you think? I can't see it being cheaper than the top model PJS

On the PJS, I saw they are bringing out a 2.4 petrol engine motor, do you know much about that? I think it's around 800K. Would be a good deal if it's lpg/cng compatible. But I think it's 2wd manual so not suitable for many.

If you compare the Ranger 4-door 2.2L 6AT RWD XLT to the Mitsubishi Triton Plus 4-door 2.5L VG 5AT RWD GLS (both very close on price), it's pretty clear that Ford have either gained some real effeciency in areas where other's haven't (less likely), or are taking a bit of a bath on the product in TH to establish market position (more likely). So no reason the same strategy (whatever it actually is) wouldn't be carried over to their next-gen PPV as well.

Using Mitsubishi as the reference here because they're #1 in tier-2 - do the same comparison against a Toyota Prerunner, and Ford look even more aggressive..

IMHO, it stands to reason that Ford will adopt the same strategy (i.e. deliver a little more at each established price point) for the next-gen Everest. The top-model Everest with the full safety kit will no doubt be well into Fortuner pricing territory though...

As for the benzene PJS, it was covered in another thread here.. The price of the 2.4L 5MT goes up to 915K in 12 days time. Incredibly good value, but it's going to have the same achilles heels as the CR-V - underpowered and expensive to run. Still if you can live with the (lack of) performance, an LPG or CNG conversion would make it a very cheap and very practical option.

Early adopters could have bought the 2.5L 140HP diesel PJS GLS with 4AT for 950K back in 2008-2009 - what a great buy that looks today...

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

that could be next year..

Look for the positive - when you go to resell, it'll be a 2012 model ;)

I guess many of us with plans to buy the new T6 or BT-50 will just jai yen a bit and wait to see the fallout from all this. I was planning to sell one of my cars to a friend, but have a feeling this will be a year delayed....

Edited by keemapoot

Interesting video of a dyno run of a 3.2 manual T6 ranger. They recorded between 470-500NM at the wheels (470NM at the flywheel), and also 107KW (147KW at flywheel). Presented suggested both measurements are more than specification. He's developing some performance module for the truck, in Australia.

I will be looking for aftermarket parts already.

Trucks in stock form look too ordinary and boring for me.

I often make minor exterior changes when I buy new cars.

Sometimes simulating exterior changes with the PC to evaluate how it would look.

The ranger can look pretty decent with just a few changes.

Imho the wildtracks front looks much better than the regular ranger, but that is just a personal op.

I took a few minutes and did a quick example to show what I mean.

I not even sure I like the changes but It is just an example and I can make it look much better with more time and

testing.

The small changes made was:

Changed front grill, wrapped the truck in matte stealthbomber black (that will cost15.000Baht thou)

rims

post-144307-0-53983200-1320599658_thumb.

After I read (on here?) that the 2.2 TDCI engine is the same one as in the Mondeo I read a review of it and noticed that it produces 173bhp while the 2.2 TDCI in the new Ranger only has 150bhp, why such a big difference if it's the same engine?

as i recall, this 2,2 comes with 100, 125, 140, 150, 170 and 200hp

In Ranger its 150hp/375Nm

take a look at racechips.de to see all the variations of this engine in different ford models

all manufactorrs do like this, one engine, a number of outputs. bmw 525d is a 3,0, so is a bmw 530d. saves development costs, saves logistic

After I read (on here?) that the 2.2 TDCI engine is the same one as in the Mondeo I read a review of it and noticed that it produces 173bhp while the 2.2 TDCI in the new Ranger only has 150bhp, why such a big difference if it's the same engine?

It's a different tune to suit the differing weight loads and performance targets. A pickup weighs close to 2,000KG and can carry a further 1,000KG+, so engines are tuned for maximum torque, lower down in the power band so it's more adept and getting moving. In the Mondeo you're talking about a gross mass around half of that, so performance is tuned more towards the high range, hence the higher HP figure.

It's a different tune to suit the differing weight loads and performance targets. A pickup weighs close to 2,000KG and can carry a further 1,000KG+, so engines are tuned for maximum torque, lower down in the power band so it's more adept and getting moving. In the Mondeo you're talking about a gross mass around half of that, so performance is tuned more towards the high range, hence the higher HP figure.

yep, there is a tech reason

ranger 5,5 ton with trailer, mondeo 3,5 ton with trailer

and a market reason, how to sell 3,2 if 2,2 delivers 200hp in ranger. buyers could believe the 2,2 200hp would perform on par with 3,2 200hp, which it does not

and a reliability/durability reason, we r not supposed to talk about.

3,2 200hp in transit and ranger will cover double the distance at double-tripple the weight of 2,2 200hp in mondeo

Quite a positive BT50 review http://www.motoring....ch-review-27379

For those interested (I was) here's the 100km/hr 100KG Kangaroo crash test video mentioned in the article ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oUdQuw4r9E

You think they'll be a Kwai crash test?

I doubt it, but it puts a whole new angle on "flee the scene" :o

Living in Thailand, I'm waiting for the Chang test before deciding whether to buy one :lol:

You think they'll be a Kwai crash test?

I doubt it, but it puts a whole new angle on "flee the scene" :o

Living in Thailand, I'm waiting for the Chang test before deciding whether to buy one :lol:

The testing for use in Bangkok has already begun.

2012_ford_ranger_water_wading-4da3c44172423.jpg

best in class at 800 mm / at 7 km/h; I like the 60 km/h test through 150 mm - no bow wave its just pushed out to the sides and through the windows of nearby shops along the road:)

Am I right in thinking that with the top model wildtrak (3.2) you would need to remove the roll bar and side rails to fit a canopy?

You sure are :)

OK thanks. Is it possible to swap the side rails/rollbar, for the factory approved 2.2 roll bar / flat canopy, or fords full size canopy? Is ford OK to mix and match prior to delivery or I have to go aftermarket?

Am I right in thinking that with the top model wildtrak (3.2) you would need to remove the roll bar and side rails to fit a canopy?

You sure are :)

OK thanks. Is it possible to swap the side rails/rollbar, for the factory approved 2.2 roll bar / flat canopy, or fords full size canopy? Is ford OK to mix and match prior to delivery or I have to go aftermarket?

You can't normally de-spec (or indeed up-spec) a car in Thailand, but I'm sure the dealership (or perhaps a member here?) will be happy to take them off your hands..