Odd Weather In Thailand Puzzles Academics

webfact

Odd weather puzzles academics

By Wannapa Khaopa

The Nation

30152100-01.jpg

The extreme weather events that have assailed Thailand during what is normally midsummer - a severe cold snap in the northern half of the country and massive flooding in the South - have forced puzzled professors to throw out their forecasting textbooks.

"Our department is seeking what has caused such extreme events. We're studying why a highpressure area from China could persist and reach many parts of Thailand during the summer," Somchai Baimoung, deputy directorgeneral of the Meteorological Department, told The Nation yesterday.

Professor Thanawat Jarupongsakul, a lecturer at the Disaster and Land Information Studies Unit of Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Science, urged the government to invest in and pay more attention to more accurate weather forecasts for particular areas to prevent damage and loss.

Somchai said the current natural phenomenon during summertime was very strange.

"A similar situation was recorded in 1986, but that was in early March, between the cold and hot seasons. So it was understandable it could occur in the transition period. But it is now different, as it is cold and rainy in late March," he said.

"The cold spell will last for two days, and the weather will then go back to hot as usual," he added.

The latest flood bulletin for the South issued by the department warned that torrential rain would continue falling over much of the area. People should beware of flooding conฌditions in the following one or two days. After that, there would be less rain.

Thanawat said this odd weather was a side effect of La Nina, but Somchai said La Nina was not a direct factor. Thanawat said La Nina appeared in July last year. It caused huge floods in the Northeast, especially in Nakhon Ratchasima, and in the South, Songkhla's Hat Yai district in particular.

"According to the latest foreign models that use sea surface temperaฌtures to forecast La Nina and El Nino, La Nina will last until May," he said.

Both said this summer would not be as hot as last summer.

"Extreme events can cause disasters such as droughts, flooding and cold weather," Thanawat said. "They will affect plants and agricultural produce or even kill people. So it's time for the government to establish an independฌent organisation to help forecast possible disasters based on academic knowledge to reduce losses."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-30

Academics are experts in weather patterns?

Leave the weather analysis to meteorologists.

Where do meteorologists learn to be meteorologists? At universities, where all the academics (ie researchers) are.

It's just terminology.

" have forced puzzled professors to throw out their forecasting textbooks. ... The cold spell will last for two days, and the weather will then go back to hot as usual," he added. The latest flood bulletin for the South issued by the department warned that torrential rain would continue falling over much of the area. People should beware of flooding conฌditions in the following one or two days. After that, there would be less rain."

sadly, they might be wrong again.

that's what were saying the last week, when cold and rain came - just a day or two and will be over, because it's a very unusual for this time of year.

Where do meteorologists learn to be meteorologists? At universities, where all the academics (ie researchers) are.

It's just terminology.

It's incorrect terminology.

People specialize in fields of expertise and none are the same,'Academic' is too broad.

We don't have articles like 'New cancer puzzles academics' and it's not a used regularly in conversation.

"I went to the academic today and had my teeth extracted"

Doesn't work.

I take full blame. Wacky weather follows me around. :whistling: By Friday it will be rawn maak maak again and everyone's memory will fade of this unseasonable weather. But it does look like it will be "cooler" than the average for the next few months. I agree with the experts. La Nina will go into a neutral phase by June. And academia is where "stuff" is piled higher and deeper, PhD. :lol: Mine isn't piled so deep. :thumbsup:

"Our department is seeking what has caused such extreme events. We're studying why a high pressure area from China could persist and reach many parts of Thailand during the summer," Somchai Baimoung, deputy directorgeneral of the Meteorological Department, told The Nation yesterday.

Maybe part of the problem is the ACADEMICS are confused about HIGH vs. LOW PRESSURE. We are in a Low pressure i.e. rain. I can see why it is confusing to them as we only learned this in Grade 5 in North America. Hahahahahaha .... what a joke!

I love the cool weather (sympathy for those in the floods in the south though, but that's the revenge of some guy called Ali or something and not connected to the cool weather)

Hey! the cool weather is great, those totally brilliant Thai scientists who make robots "that are a sure rival to ASIMO" should get their Einsteinium brains together and make a weather machine that will keep the weather cool all the time, I know they can do it, just look at what they have invented already...

1) Faster than light travel,

2) Room Temperature Nuclear Fusion RTNF - pronounced: "Rotting Fish",

3) Multimedia brain implants,

4) The Elimination of aging through genetic manipulation,

5) Time travel "back or forward", they are also working on up and down time travel.

6) Unraveling string theory to allow multi dimensional interaction between the 200,000,000,000,000,000 dimensions they have already discovered,

7) The discovery of Aliens from Alpha Centauri happily living in Buriram,

And a lot more....

Wow this cool weather is wonderful, its just like being in the south of France this time of year, but with all the beauty of Thailand (do hate all that ugly scenery on the Riviera don't you?)

Just perfect, this cool weather, saving so much electricity on air conditioning.

Many thanks to the 2 big fresh coffees this morning that created this post. ops theres a couple of men in white coats knocking on my door, probably the scientists ariving.... must go.

(don't you think this is better than thailandmusings)?

:w00t::P:sick::passifier::crazy:

Edited by newermonkey

It's funny that the great Thai government, which is so great in the eyes of the locals, yet again has no answer!!!! I wonder how hard it was to throw out their books???? Maybe weather forecasting software would be more appropriate? In my country, I've never seen them stupefied and throwing away books because of two days of cold. We call it a weather front that is unseasonal and just moving through.

It's funny that the great Thai government, which is so great in the eyes of the locals, yet again has no answer!!!! I wonder how hard it was to throw out their books???? Maybe weather forecasting software would be more appropriate? In my country, I've never seen them stupefied and throwing away books because of two days of cold. We call it a weather front that is unseasonal and just moving through.

Jeez!!!! .....I hate this freakin' Phrase, "in my country" blah blah blah blah.:jap:

We humans cannot predict Mother Nature and what it will do. We can only read signs/review historical events based on observation then 'guestimate' the next event based on recurring signs and warnings. Academics as such, trained in meteorology, may have a better chance of getting it right but it is still basically guesswork. Take each day as it comes. I for one am loving it. Roll on the cooler weather.

Jeez!!!! .....I hate this freakin' Phrase, "in my country" blah blah blah blah.:jap:

AMEN.

I love the cool weather (sympathy for those in the floods in the south though, but that's the revenge of some guy called Ali or something and not connected to the cool weather)

Hey! the cool weather is great, those totally brilliant Thai scientists who make robots "that are a sure rival to ASIMO" should get their Einsteinium brains together and make a weather machine that will keep the weather cool all the time, I know they can do it, just look at what they have invented already...

1) Faster than light travel,

2) Room Temperature Nuclear Fusion RTNF - pronounced: "Rotting Fish",

3) Multimedia brain implants,

4) The Elimination of aging through genetic manipulation,

5) Time travel "back or forward", they are also working on up and down time travel.

6) Unraveling string theory to allow multi dimensional interaction between the 200,000,000,000,000,000 dimensions they have already discovered,

7) The discovery of Aliens from Alpha Centauri happily living in Buriram,

And a lot more....

Wow this cool weather is wonderful, its just like being in the south of France this time of year, but with all the beauty of Thailand (do hate all that ugly scenery on the Riviera don't you?)

Just perfect, this cool weather, saving so much electricity on air conditioning.

Many thanks to the 2 big fresh coffees this morning that created this post. ops theres a couple of men in white coats knocking on my door, probably the scientists ariving.... must go.

(don't you think this is better than thailandmusings)?

:w00t::P:sick::passifier::crazy:

I think that you are in serious error with point 7. The aliens from Alpha Centauri moved to Petchabun some time ago. Furthermore the prospect of anybody living happily in Buriram is beyond my imagination.

I wonder if Michael Fish is now employed by a BKK university.

Michael Fish MBE (born 27 April 1944 in Eastbourne, East Sussex) is a semi-retired British weather forecaster, best known for his BBC Weather television presentations, although he was actually employed by the Met Office.

He became infamous in the wake of the Great Storm of 1987; a few hours before the storm broke, on 15 October 1987, he said during a forecast: "Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!". That evening, the worst storm to hit South East England since 1703 caused record damage and killed 18 people.

"Our department is seeking what has caused such extreme events. We're studying why a high pressure area from China could persist and reach many parts of Thailand during the summer," Somchai Baimoung, deputy directorgeneral of the Meteorological Department, told The Nation yesterday.

Maybe part of the problem is the ACADEMICS are confused about HIGH vs. LOW PRESSURE. We are in a Low pressure i.e. rain. I can see why it is confusing to them as we only learned this in Grade 5 in North America. Hahahahahaha .... what a joke!

Sorry, but those academics sound a bit more knowledgeable than you. They are talking about the all Thailand situation - not just the rainy South. High pressure from China often brings cool and dry weather to the North. High pressure in one area tends to give low pressure in nearby areas. So, while high pressure from China may not be the true, one and only cause for the current havoc, it that the academics have red their (probably English) text-books better than you red yours.

"Our department is seeking what has caused such extreme events. We're studying why a high pressure area from China could persist and reach many parts of Thailand during the summer," Somchai Baimoung, deputy director general of the Meteorological Department, told The Nation yesterday.

Reading always helps...:rolleyes::lol:

Are you sitting down?

Okay, here's the bombshell. The volcanic eruption in Iceland, since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet – all of you.

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress – it’s that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow, and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans, and all animal life.

I know, it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of: driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kid's "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of abroad, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your 50 cents light bulbs with $10.00 light bulbs...well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes - FOUR DAYS ONLY by that volcano in Iceland, has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in its entire YEARS on earth. Yes folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year – think about it.

Of course I shouldn't spoil this touchy-feely tree-hugging moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keep happening, despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.

And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of the bogus “human-caused” climate change scenario.

Hey, isn’t it interesting how they don’t mention “Global Warming” any more, but just “Climate Change” - you know why? It’s because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme – that whopping new tax – imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won’t stop any volcanoes from erupting, that’s for sure.

But hey, relax, give the world a hug and have a nice day!

PS: I wonder if Iceland is buying carbon offsets?

The weather conditions might be puzzling them (in terms of being a scientific question), but I thought the forecasts were quite accurate. I remember, a week or so ago when the weather was nice and cool, that the weather forecast was for warmer weather for a few days, followed by rain and a temperature drop. I was hoping very strongly that they'd be correct, because Thailand in the hot season is well-nigh unbearable, so I'm enjoying this cool weather while it lasts. It is unfortunate that it came hand-in-hand with the torrential rains in the South.

Are you sitting down?

Okay, here's the bombshell. The volcanic eruption in Iceland, since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet – all of you.

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress – it's that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow, and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans, and all animal life.

I know, it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of: driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kid's "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of abroad, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your 50 cents light bulbs with $10.00 light bulbs...well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes - FOUR DAYS ONLY by that volcano in Iceland, has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in its entire YEARS on earth. Yes folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year – think about it.

Of course I shouldn't spoil this touchy-feely tree-hugging moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keep happening, despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.

And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of the bogus "human-caused" climate change scenario.

Hey, isn't it interesting how they don't mention "Global Warming" any more, but just "Climate Change" - you know why? It's because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme – that whopping new tax – imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won't stop any volcanoes from erupting, that's for sure.

There is always at least one climate change denier who'll post data that's wrong or that distorts the weather patterns.

Has this been a cold winter? Globally no. The combined global land and ocean surface temperature during December 2010 – February 2011 ranked as the 16th warmest boreal winter (austral summer) on record. During the three-month season, warmer-than-average conditions were particularly felt across western Alaska, eastern Canada, southern Greenland, and northern Siberia. I've attached the map showing the distribution of hotter and colder than historical areas of the globe - obtained at http://www.ncdc.noaa...c/global/2011/2

I got to looking again now that Thailand is having a March that is particularly chilly, though the "winter" was quite mild. Just goes to show how the weather can vary from place to place while still having an average above the 20th Century mean.

Oh, and Blackjack neglects to mention that while volcanoes and solar flares have always caused fluctuations in seasonal and global temperatures, the changes that humans are contributing to the atmosphere are the only way to account for the changes in global temperatures - particularly since 1970. See a video by David Attenborough

Will there be fluctuations from the combination of factors as they are added up, varying each year? Yes. Yet still the pattern of earth warming over the background noise of natural causes continues.

Looking again at the Dec to Feb winter results for the globe I see the Arctic area as warmer than normal and the "temperate latitudes" as colder. Some people liken the colder middle latitudes as to having the freezer door open and cold drafts are dropping out into the room at large even as the freezer warms. It certainly felt unusual - matching my favorite description ==>> "Weather Weirding." Indeed what a warmer atmosphere in general will certainly generate is greater turbulence, a higher incidence of extreme weather. Oh, and the warmer oceans supplied greater moisture to then form a very snowy season for where it was seasonally freezing or below.

In the current conditions a "High Pressure" over Siberia and China with a "Low Pressure" over SE Asia would naturally lead to a flow of air from there to here... bringing that colder than normal air into contact with what humidity is in our atmosphere which precipitates out as rain in the humid south but only colder air for the inland northern provinces. :whistling:

post-68308-0-77724800-1301470057_thumb.g

Michael Fish MBE (born 27 April 1944 in Eastbourne, East Sussex) is a semi-retired British weather forecaster, best known for his

BBC Weather television presentations, although he was actually employed by the Met Office.

He became infamous in the wake of the Great Storm of 1987; a few hours before the storm broke, on 15 October 1987, he said during a forecast: "Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!". That evening, the worst storm to hit South East England since 1703 caused record damage and killed 18 people.

You ought to put his remarks in context. He was referring to a Hurricane which was at that time the other side of the Atlantic. It never came to the UK, so Michael Fish was correct in what he said. What happened was that the wind speeds which had been forecast for the English channel occurred further north ie over the southern counties. They reached (low) hurricane speeds, but they were not a hurricane.

Edited by Artabus

Are you sitting down?

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress – it’s that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow, and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans, and all animal life.

I do not know if BlackJack's facts are correct or not but they sound pretty good to me. I have never been a fan of "Global Warming" and the new name of Climate Change is of course correct. Earth has experienced Climate Change for a few millon years not that I am that old but my father was and he told me about it! A good reason for a Green Tax for sure, most Govenments do not miss such an opportunity.

I carry on as usual, the same as the last 6 decades of my life but saying that we must take better care of our environment over deforestation and over use of pesticides are much bigger problems. Most of it is not necessary and done out of pure greed and depriving endangered species of their environment

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of the bogus “human-caused” climate change scenario.

Hey, isn’t it interesting how they don’t mention “Global Warming” any more, but just “Climate Change” - you know why? It’s because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme – that whopping new tax – imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won’t stop any volcanoes from erupting, that’s for sure.

I do not know if BlackJack's facts are correct or not but they sound pretty good to me. I have never been a fan of "Global Warming" and the new name of Climate Change is of course correct. Earth has experienced Climate Change for a few millon years not that I am that old but my father was and he told me about it! A good reason for a Green Tax for sure, most Govenments do not miss such an opportunity.

I carry on as usual, the same as the last 6 decades of my life but saying that we must take better care of our environment over deforestation and over use of pesticides are much bigger problems. Most of it is not necessary and done out of pure greed and depriving endangered species of their environment. I think the present use of the term Climate Change is the con of the 21st century!

Are you sitting down?

Were your lips moving all the while you were banging on the keyboard with this message about the melting polar ice caps? Oh, that was not mentioned?

I love this cool weather, whats everyone complaining about?

I likey likey:)

I love it too. By weekend we'll be dreaming about this beautiful cool snap.

People who have lived in Thailand for awhile lose persepctive on what's cold. Right now my room temperature with doors and windows open is 26.0C at 63%. To call that cold is ridiculous. They call it a "severe cold snap" in the report above.

Edited by tropo

Odd Weather In Thailand Puzzles Academics

I'm hoping the academics spent more than 5 minutes trying to understand it, before going back to digging boogers, clipping toenails, or whatever else they do at the office. :rolleyes:

Are you sitting down?

Okay, here's the bombshell. The volcanic eruption in Iceland, since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet all of you.

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress its that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow, and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans, and all animal life.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in its entire YEARS on earth. Yes folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year think about it.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of the bogus human-caused climate change scenario.

Hey, isnt it interesting how they dont mention Global Warming any more, but just Climate Change - you know why? Its because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme that whopping new tax imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It wont stop any volcanoes from erupting, thats for sure.

Were your lips moving all the while you were banging on the keyboard with this message about the melting polar ice caps? Oh, that was not mentioned?

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/current.area.south.jpgyes the caps are melting

theres a graph for the north as well and its increased

overall

Edited by BlackJack

Are you sitting down?

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress – it's that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow, and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans, and all animal life.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of the bogus "human-caused" climate change scenario.

Hey, isn't it interesting how they don't mention "Global Warming" any more, but just "Climate Change" - you know why? It's because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme – that whopping new tax – imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won't stop any volcanoes from erupting, that's for sure.

There is always at least one climate change denier who'll post data that's wrong or that distorts the weather patterns.

Has this been a cold winter? Globally no. The combined global land and ocean surface temperature during December 2010 – February 2011 ranked as the 16th warmest boreal winter (austral summer) on record. During the three-month season, warmer-than-average conditions were particularly felt across western Alaska, eastern Canada, southern Greenland, and northern Siberia. I've attached the map showing the distribution of hotter and colder than historical areas of the globe - obtained at http://www.ncdc.noaa...c/global/2011/2

I got to looking again now that Thailand is having a March that is particularly chilly, though the "winter" was quite mild. Just goes to show how the weather can vary from place to place while still having an average above the 20th Century mean.

Oh, and Blackjack neglects to mention that while volcanoes and solar flares have always caused fluctuations in seasonal and global temperatures, the changes that humans are contributing to the atmosphere are the only way to account for the changes in global temperatures - particularly since 1970. See a video by David Attenborough

Will there be fluctuations from the combination of factors as they are added up, varying each year? Yes. Yet still the pattern of earth warming over the background noise of natural causes continues.

Looking again at the Dec to Feb winter results for the globe I see the Arctic area as warmer than normal and the "temperate latitudes" as colder. Some people liken the colder middle latitudes as to having the freezer door open and cold drafts are dropping out into the room at large even as the freezer warms. It certainly felt unusual - matching my favorite description ==>> "Weather Weirding." Indeed what a warmer atmosphere in general will certainly generate is greater turbulence, a higher incidence of extreme weather. Oh, and the warmer oceans supplied greater moisture to then form a very snowy season for where it was seasonally freezing or below.

In the current conditions a "High Pressure" over Siberia and China with a "Low Pressure" over SE Asia would naturally lead to a flow of air from there to here... bringing that colder than normal air into contact with what humidity is in our atmosphere which precipitates out as rain in the humid south but only colder air for the inland northern provinces. :whistling:

now you are not seriously suggesting that David Attenborough is someone that should be quoted

he is a presenter and all is scripted

you need to expand your time frame a bit as this is how things are measured

ie 1500 years temp changes

ie million or even billions of years of evolution

etc

el ninyo

el nina

al gore

har har

keep watching TV if thats your source of info

now you are not seriously suggesting that David Attenborough is someone that should be quoted he is a presenter and all is scripted

you need to expand your time frame a bit as this is how things are measured ie 1500 years temp changes ie million or even billions of years of evolution

etc

el ninyo

el nina

al gore

har har

keep watching TV if thats your source of info

Since this thread is about the current weather, highs and lows I'll refer you to the thread on global warming where this discussion has been well discussed and really belongs.

http://www.thaivisa....le/page__st__50

I at least shared a short term weather explanation for the cold snap and rain.

Humanity is indeed affecting the climate. The planet is warming overall in ways beyond what is otherwise explained. David Attenborough was the vehicle for getting those three graphs by climatologists to be viewed by a wider audience. Panning his credentials (none) while ignoring that climate research is your choice. I disagree. Go to the main discussion and see why.