Chiangrai Classic Car Weekend

gerry1011

Owners of classic cars, or classic cars fanatics, here is an information you might be interested in:

The Chiangrai Classic Car Weekend will happen on 11 - 13th November.

The cars will depart from Chiangmai (Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi), then drive north to Chiangrai.

The first night will be spent in Maechan, where the car owners will be welcome at Insii Thai House.

The next morning, the cars will be displayed for an open car exhibition at Insii Thai House. There will also be a photo exhibition of Racing Team VDS, one of the most succesful European private car racing team ever.

At noon, the cars will depart to Chiangsaen and Maesai, then drive back to Chiangrai, where the car owners will be accomodated at The Legend.

This event is a private initiative.

If you, or a friend of yours, own a classic car, it might be interesting to have a look at the "Events" section of this website: www.insiithaihouse.tk

I Have an unrestored 1939 Packard sedan that I would like to ship to Thailand. Does anyone know how much of a problem and expense it is to get an antique car through Thai custom?

Hi there.

There is one solution to easier import old cars. It is to join the Thailand Classic Car Club.

I don't know the details, but David (the co-organizer of the Chiangrai Classic Car Weekend) knows about it.

You can contact him at [email protected]

Gerry,  Thanks for the reply!  I emailed David. I will be retiring in CM end of this year, we will have to meet up after I get settled in.

Maybe your car will be ready for the second edition of the classic car weekend by then :o

David might also give you good advices concerning the restauration itself. He knows a skilled person who takes care of classic cars in CM.

Cheers.

I Have an unrestored 1939 Packard sedan that I would like to ship to Thailand. Does anyone know how much of a problem and expense it is to get an antique car through Thai custom?

Well, I have a 1949 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible (Mint condition) in storage in the USA along with a 1973 Datsun 240Z (Mint Condition) just awaiting a way for me to figure out how to avoid any import duties into the kingdom.

The problem with the Olds is that I could never really "Drive" it in Thailand..... there is no place where I could park it easily.

The Z is another story all together, It really likes to be going around 170 km/hr. Just think! Can outrun any of the police, Can make it to Bangkok in less than 5 hours........ Oh Yea! I used to drive this car from Vegas to Reno in around 7 hours and she just flew.... twin Weber carbs do the trick!

Oh.... I also have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler to bring over to get through the flooded streets.... I Love Chiangmai.

IF I can't get these toys into the country, no problem! I have my PPL and will sell the cars to get an airplane here.

Well, I have a 1949 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible (Mint condition) in storage in the USA along with a 1973 Datsun 240Z (Mint Condition) just awaiting a way for me to figure out how to avoid any import duties into the kingdom.

The problem with the Olds is that I could never really "Drive" it in Thailand..... there is no place where I could park it easily.

The Z is another story all together, It really likes to be going around 170 km/hr. Just think! Can outrun any of the police, Can make it to Bangkok in less than 5 hours........ Oh Yea! I used to drive this car from Vegas to Reno in around 7 hours and she just flew.... twin Weber carbs do the trick!

Oh.... I also have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler to bring over to get through the flooded streets.... I Love Chiangmai.

IF I can't get these toys into the country, no problem! I have my PPL and will sell the cars to get an airplane here.

I guess that with good connections you will be able to enjoy these jewels here... :o