Cuban leader Raul Castro tells former U.S. President Carter he is open to U.S.-dialogue

News_Editor

Cuban leader Raul Castro tells former U.S. President Carter he is open to U.S.-dialogue

2011-03-31 04:12:31 GMT+7 (ICT)

HAVANA, CUBA (BNO NEWS) -- Cuban leader Raul Castro on Wednesday told former U.S. President James Carter the island nation is open to engage in dialogue with the U.S. government, the Cuban News Agency (CBA) reported.

The comments were made during meeting held between President Castro and the former U.S. leader in which they discussed topics of international interest, the current situation in Cuba and in the United States, and the relations between the two countries.

Castro reiterated Carter Cuba's willingness to engage in any dialogue with the U.S. government on equal terms, without any preconditions and respecting the Caribbean island nation's independence and sovereignty.

On Tuesday, the 86 year-old Carter said that during his stay in Havana, he hopes to improve relations between the United States and Cuba. The American politician also visited local community centers.

Carter arrived to Cuba on Monday for a three-day visit. This is the second time that the former U.S. leader travels to the Caribbean island. He first visited Cuba in May, 2002, and was the first former U.S. President to visit Cuba since its 1959 revolution that resulted in Fidel Castro's long presidency.

In 1982, Carter and his wife Rosalyn created the Carter Center Foundation, a non-governmental organization with humanitarian character that has served as mediator in international conflicts and as an observer in electoral processes in different countries.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-31

Cuba is one sore spot with me regarding US relations.

Actually, I was involved with the cluster which was the Mariel Boatlift, and I am not a huge Castro fan, but goodness, we are now on better terms with worse former avowed enemies. Put it behind us and move forward.

Of course, politics, especially in Florida, makes this a pretty difficult row to hoe, but jeeze, let's see how we can improve things instead of just trying to wait for the Castro brothers to pass on.

Cuba is one sore spot with me regarding US relations.

Actually, I was involved with the cluster which was the Mariel Boatlift, and I am not a huge Castro fan, but goodness, we are now on better terms with worse former avowed enemies. Put it behind us and move forward.

Of course, politics, especially in Florida, makes this a pretty difficult row to hoe, but jeeze, let's see how we can improve things instead of just trying to wait for the Castro brothers to pass on.

I hear you. Had a freind in Key West that was involved with the Cuban ex-pats that flew over Havanna dropping leaflets. Appears now that the hardline stance is softening. There are many layers to this though.Bay of pigs, missle crisis, Guantanamo etc. WE will see.....B)