Open Account In Chiang Mai

Lobo4819

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to open an account at Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai if I have the proper documentation? When I lived i Thailand several years ago, you had to go to Silom Branch in Bangkok to open the account. Info appreciated. Thanks.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Lobo4819,

Several years ago we had no problem opening both a US $ and a Euro account at the Pratu Chiang Mai (Chiang Mai Gate) branch of Bangkok Bank with only a passport for ID, and we were on a tourist visa then.

We don't know if the rules (for visa, ID, etc.) have changed since.

good luck, ~o:37;

I also opened an account at the Sri Donchia branch of Bangkok Bank a couple of years ago, Tourist visa only, but went with friends who had a business account there, so maybe there was a bit of the "who you know rather than what you know" going on

We opened an account at the KSK branch with just our passport, O-A retirement visas and rental contract for our condo unit. Hubby and I came by ourselves without any references except for mentioning our new neighbors at the condo building recommended the bank. The U.S. $1000 in cash we wanted to deposit may have helped, too. Yes, the individual branch managers do have some leeway and can use their discretion.

I opened a savings account with Bangkok Bank (KSK branch) years ago with a non-Imm-O visa. I just showed my passport. No Certificate of Residency, no lease, nothing. A couple of weeks ago I opened a CD/Time deposit account at the same branch and I'm currently here on just a 30 day visa. They took another copy of my passport (they now have about a dozen copies of it), nothing else.

Does the 'proper documentation' include copy of work permit?

If you have a normal tourist visa, you need 'Certificate of residence' issued by your country's embassy or consulate. (either kon Thai guarantor)

We opened a joint account at Kasikorn Chiang Mai Gate a few months ago, only paperwork we had with us was our passports as ID and the nice lady didn't even look at our visa (it's a non-immigration 'O' so we would have been OK if she had looked at it), she just took a photocopy of the back page with the photo and name/number/expiry date etc. Excellent service, highly recommended.

lobo4819

this is the branch bkcl is talking about

i dont know what paperwork you have to offer them but try showing the lovely greeter girls just inside the front door ten thousand baht.

that might help lots ; )

good luck ... dave2

post-42592-0-94464800-1301579407_thumb.j

Does the 'proper documentation' include copy of work permit?

If you have a normal tourist visa, you need 'Certificate of residence' issued by your country's embassy or consulate. (either kon Thai guarantor)

We opened a joint account at Kasikorn Chiang Mai Gate a few months ago, only paperwork we had with us was our passports as ID and the nice lady didn't even look at our visa (it's a non-immigration 'O' so we would have been OK if she had looked at it), she just took a photocopy of the back page with the photo and name/number/expiry date etc. Excellent service, highly recommended.

I have a friend who comes to Chiang Mai about 4 times a year for short stays.He always comes on a normal tourist visa. On Tuesday he decided he would like to park some money in a Thai Bank account while the Oz dollar is very strong. His first port of call was the Kasikorn branch at Airport Plaza .The "greeter girl" explained that he could not open an account due to only having a tourist visa.On his way home to where he is staying,being a persistant fellow,he called in at Big C Hang Dong where there is a Kasikorn branch. As you enter this branch on the left hand side there are 2 ladies sitting at desks ,the "greeter girl" was apparently on a break. He asked the same question and was told "sure no problem". She photocopied the inside front photo/number etc page and made no effort,as he could see, to check what visa he had. 15 minutes later,after filling out a couple of forms, he walked out with a savings passbook, a balance of 1000 baht and a visa debit card.Cost for opening the account and card was 300 baht. She did mention during his short stay that the bank is reviewing its policies in regard to foreigner accounts. So before people jump on here and say its not possible. It is, and he did.It might just be a matter of who you talk to !

I can only assume you are a single guy. My Thai wife and I opened a bank account at Bangkok Bank on Chiang Moi Rd. My wife is a resident in Australia and I only have a tourist visa when travelling to Thailand.

We wanted to transfer money to a bank account in CHiang Mai to purchase a condo. I supplied my passport and my wife supplied her passport and id card. In addition we had to supply a letter from the bank in Australia as proof of transfer, which I believe removes suspicion of money laundering.

It took approximately 40 minutes to open the account and was given a book and card immediately.

The only problem we encountered was organising online banking. We didn't do this at the time we opened the account and consequently had problems when we arrived back in Australia.

Howard

I had a friend who was on a tourist visa come to Chiang Mai and tried to open an account on his own. He was told that a tourist could not open an account. I went to the Kad Saun Kaew Branch with him (I am a client at that branch) signed a form stating that I know the person, and they opened the account without any further questions.

I believe the requirement to go to the Silom branch is only if you're opening a foreign currency deposit account. So you may very well be able to open up a baht account at another branch as a foreigner, but just don't expect to be able to get a dollar account (or whatever) until you go to Silom.

I've just now completed this entire process, and while it is a little exasperating at times, the reward is worth it. Can easily (and cheaply) wire money to their New York branch. Then log on to their website and convert the dollars to baht and deposit in my baht account any time I like. Or pay bills online. Or... and this is new to me... buy stuff online and then log on their site to wire money to the vendor, no charge, and no crap from the vendor about issues with the shipping address not matching the billing address, etc.

Got the ATM/Visa card too.

A tip: my gut tells me that if you are at any point going to get a foreign currency deposit account, do it at the same time you get the Internet banking. It doesn't say that anywhere in what documentation they make available in English, but the way both the baht account and the dollar account people were talking about it, it seems to be the most foolproof way of doing it.