Windows 8

Tywais

While Windows 7 has been an overwhelming success with over 300 million copies sold in 2010, it hasn’t stopped Microsoft from working on Windows 8. Now comes notice that Windows 8 may be further along than thought. Why so? Because Microsoft has begun to distribute early copies of Windows 8 to special OEM partners.

Windows8news

I heard that it will be 128 bits

Microsoft mulling 128-bit versions of Windows 8, Windows 9

Believe it or not, Windows 7's successor(s) have been in the planning and early development stages for a while now. We haven't posted anything about any of them yet, but we've been watching closely to see if anything really interesting turned up. Exactly two weeks ago, it did. A LinkedIn profile, which has already been taken down, for a Robert Morgan, Senior Research & Development at Microsoft, has shone a sliver of light on the possibility of 128-bit support coming to Windows 8. According to the LinkedIn page, which has been removed since, Morgan has been with the software giant since January 2002, but we're more intrigued with what his profile (first paragraph) and his status (second paragraph) before they disappeared:

ars technica

Windows 8 M3 build contains new wallpaper, twin UI bits, and more

Slowly trickling down the pike is a freshly-baked Windows 8 M3 build purportedly distributed out to select OEMs via Microsoft Connect recently. Since then, the flood of information hitting the Internet has been exciting, but not particularly revealing in the way of visuals.

While this isn’t too much more to contribute to what’s already out there, a kind anonymous soul sent me a screen shot today of a new Windows 8 build sporting a new wallpaper. Not surprisingly, we see fish and other sea-related visuals — par for the course pre-beta visuals ever since Windows 7’s early builds. Here is a screen shot of the Windows 8 build with the wallpaper in use (build string removed for anonymity; click the image below to see a larger version):

windows-8-m3-screen-shot-custom.png

Image Credit: ZDNet

Read More >

Edited by Supernova

I've been VERY happy with Win 7 on my main laptop; Win 8 would have to provide some new capability that is really "awesome and useful" for me to consider upgrading to Win 8. So many of the new capabilities that come out with some upgrades many sound awesome but most times are useful to only a few. Upgrading to Win 8 just because it's a later release than Win 7 ain't going happen, with me at least.

Heck, I'm still running Home XP on my second laptop...works fine...does everything I need it to do. And let's face it, a major purpose of upgrades is just to generate additional/new revenue for the software company...nothing wrong with that but to get any of my revenue the upgrade needs to have new capabilities that are useful to me versus minor tweaks, change of interface/themes/colors/icons/etc, and don't put me in "driver" hell for around 6 months like Vista did.

Someone out there needs to go check Vista's concrete covered grave to make sure Vista hasn't been dug-up by Microsoft for re-examination...Vista RIP.

Windows 8 Secrets: Windows Explorer Ribbon

When Microsoft introduced the Ribbon user interface as a replacement for the overgrown menus and toolbars in Microsoft Office 2007, many were shocked. The change was audacious for such a mature software product, and it completely blew away years of ingrained shortcuts and skills. But the Ribbon UI was also innovative, and useful, and it provided a way to make previously hidden functionality far more discoverable. It was so successful, in fact, that Microsoft began adding it to other products, including the Windows Live Essentials apps and, in Windows 7, both Paint and WordPad.In Windows 8, Ribbon usage is accelerating again, and Microsoft’s next major OS will include this UI in the most visible of all possible places, Windows Explorer. Read More >

win8_ribbon_011.jpg

Image Credit: withinwindows.com

I've been VERY happy with Win 7 on my main laptop; Win 8 would have to provide some new capability that is really "awesome and useful" for me to consider upgrading to Win 8.

this could be a feature like the driver for the WiFi adapter in your new laptop...I had to change to Vista those days because Acer decided to use WiFi adapters that do not work with WinXP.

Windows 8 Secrets: Windows Explorer Ribbon

When Microsoft introduced the Ribbon user interface as a replacement for the overgrown menus and toolbars in Microsoft Office 2007, many were shocked. The change was audacious for such a mature software product, and it completely blew away years of ingrained shortcuts and skills. But the Ribbon UI was also innovative, and useful, and it provided a way to make previously hidden functionality far more discoverable. It was so successful, in fact, that Microsoft began adding it to other products, including the Windows Live Essentials apps and, in Windows 7, both Paint and WordPad.In Windows 8, Ribbon usage is accelerating again, and Microsoft’s next major OS will include this UI in the most visible of all possible places, Windows Explorer. Read More >

Hm, I don't see that "ribbon UI" to be such as great advance over earlier UI. In fact I still use Office 2003 because all the newer versions have started to clutter away 1/3 of my screen with all sorts of buttons that I never use anyway.

Judging by people's comments on the site you link to it seems most people find it "ugly"...

Yeah eventually I'm sure I will change to Windows 8 because new hardware will eventually no longer be supported by the current versions, but I'm not in a hurry to be the one to find all the bugs :)

^ The 'ribbon' works well for certain applications such as ms-office, but I can hardly see it being of any use in Windows Explorer. File managers should be kept simple; the plethora of options shown in these screenshots are just mind-boggling. The interface is way too cluttered for my liking. :bah:

What I would really like to see is tabbed file browsing or better yet, support for multiple workspaces out of the box.

What I would really like to see is tabbed file browsing or better yet, support for multiple workspaces out of the box.

Agreed. There are actually already some 3rd party tabbed file managers, for example ExplorerXP but I hate having to install all those add-ons for something that might as well (should) be part of the OS.

Hopefully Win 8 will not just be hyped-up changes which are nothing more than display layout changes, eye candy, etc. But when hyped properly it can fool many into thinking major capability improvements have been made. Actually, (and to use an analogy) when a software product has reached a mature stage it gets tougher to add truly major "under the hood" improvements that give more horsepower, more miles to the gallon, etc.; instead they seem to focus on minor changes to the shape, interior design, tail lights, front grille, a new gadget, etc. Heck, I'm still running Office 2007 on my main laptop and Office 2003 on my second laptop...meets my needs. Hopefully Win 8 will provide good, practical improvements which many people can use versus only providing a new paint job/eye candy/layout changes/etc., hyped-up as major improvements. Bill Gates & crew needs to work hard to get my money on their upgrades.

^ The 'ribbon' works well for certain applications such as ms-office, but I can hardly see it being of any use in Windows Explorer. File managers should be kept simple; the plethora of options shown in these screenshots are just mind-boggling. The interface is way too cluttered for my liking. :bah:

The best file manager they ever had was under win95/98. Two windows where you can move files back and forth. What else you need??

I'm predicting Windows 8 will be a flop. Normal people* are too happy with Windows 7 to shell out more cash anytime soon.

* You are not normal people.

Windows can't be a flop - even Vista sold by the hundreds of millions, by virtue of getting OEM installed on every new PC. The benefits of having a monopoly... even the worst, crappiest version of Windows is a success by any standard. Selling by the 10s and 100s of millions, making $Bns in profits.

That said Vista was the worst piece of crap I've ever seen - for a while I couldn't recommend anyone to get a new computer. Windows 7 is OK again. Nothing that will blow your mind, but at least it works. With minimum fuss. It has some nice improvements over XP, even. I still keep it where it belongs, in a little virtual box on my Mac ;)

Windows 8 Secrets: Modern Reader

There are two big pieces of news in today's revelation. First, Microsoft will apparently be including its own PDF reader in Windows 8. And second, this is the first app we've discussed that utilizes the new AppX application package type.

Read More >

A built-in PDF reader is a welcome addition. R.I.P Adobe Reader!

Windows 8 Secrets: Modern Reader

There are two big pieces of news in today's revelation. First, Microsoft will apparently be including its own PDF reader in Windows 8. And second, this is the first app we've discussed that utilizes the new AppX application package type.

Read More >

A built-in PDF reader is a welcome addition. R.I.P Adobe Reader!

VLC out performs windows media player, other web browsers are better than IE, Microsoft have trouble getting it perfect.

I'm quite happy with Windows 7 as many people also do. I don't know what feature of Windows 8 will convince me to upgrade.

Very few people upgrade operating systems (particularly, pay to upgrade) until they buy a new computer.

I'm quite happy with Windows 7 as many people also do. I don't know what feature of Windows 8 will convince me to upgrade.

Very few people upgrade operating systems (particularly, pay to upgrade) until they buy a new computer.

Oh, I would disagree based on past sales figures for Windows 7, Vista, XP, etc., right after they were released. Of course, Vista has left a bad taste to this day in the mouths of many. Tons of people exist who just have to have the latest operating system as soon as it comes out or shortly after. And for those who want the latest operating system but won't upgrade unless it easy, these folks will wait until they see a good amount of crossfeed that the upgrade is indeed easy with little to no driver and software incompatibility. Win 7 did a pretty good job in achieving this and if Win 8 does the same there will be lots of people upgrading immediately or within months of Win 8 release. But for me, the older I get, the less I seem to have to have the latest and greatest; instead, new software needs to provide some new and really useful capability which I can use pretty much daily.

i am using windows 7 and ubuntu v.10 now. Anyone know link to download free windows 8.

At the moment it appears to be only available for OEM's and external partners through Connect channels and not to the public. The Beta is expected towards the end of the year (rumored). In other words, any leaked downloads at the moment would be copyright infringement and illegal and as such can not be discussed here. Also, beta's are usually initially offered to TechNet and MSDN subscribers before the public.