after 2 or three drives it got annoying so i went to Toyota in Pattaya

the boss there has a fortuner so we compared them running side by side

hers has more kilos than mine but they sounded the same

so they sent top mechanic for a test drive with me

he agreed it was noisier than usual and went back to Toyota

3 or 4 others descended upon us and huge discussions took place

lots of looking and listening but no real resolution,

then a guy came over from the body shop

talked to the mechanics then dived into the drivers foot well and revealed that the rubber do-nut seal around the steering column was perished and i effectively had a hole through to the engine bay

he stuffed a rag in the hole

went for a drive around the car park

problem solved!

new rubber will be 500 baht and 2 hours labor to remove steering column and fit

so next day i vist my insurance broker friend who has a fortuner too and i was telling here about the problem in a jokey fashion

she said, i think mines more noisy too but never said nothing, just thought i was imagining it

so we go out to her car and find she has exactly the same problem

shes delighted, to know shes not going mad

i am happy to help

as i am to you all

so if you have a noisy fortuner or maybe even a vigo, before spending loads of money to find the problem, check this first, it may be a common problem

How strange and at the same time sad on a high quality , hi so and over priced brand , i think i go for Nissan , Mitsu or Mazda after all! biggrin.gif

It's a bit of rubber at 500bt for Buddha sake. Just go buy your mitsu, rear axle. nissan, crap finish on body. mazda, drink fuel. and see how much you lose when you try and sell them.

How strange and at the same time sad on a high quality , hi so and over priced brand , i think i go for Nissan , Mitsu or Mazda after all! biggrin.gif

DON'T do it. :lol:

You've been warned!!!! :lol: Go for a Ford instead. B)

i had a Ford Everest for 3 years, another great car

only thing that went wrong in 60,000klms was the battery fob battery needed replacing

i do like the fortuner though........

Hmmmmm, well, bumpy ride, try tyre pressures :), but it is an off road ride.

Looked at my bush, 3-4 inch diameter, but only rubber on the edge that mounts the body hole. The actual stuff that surrounds the column is foam, yes foam that is impregnated with silicone grease or rubber grease. My 2007 is fine, like new but suspect if a ride didn't have the correct grease amount it would dry out and break up.:)

The Fortune uses a similar chassis to the pick up but it's shorter and the rear is coil springs not leaf. First thing I would do is put a set or Rancho 9000 shocks all round.

Do you speak from experience?

The Fortune uses a similar chassis to the pick up but it's shorter and the rear is coil springs not leaf. First thing I would do is put a set or Rancho 9000 shocks all round.

Do you speak from experience?

Probably not, I would think that 4 might do the trick. :whistling:

My Fortuner has a bumpy ride. Any suggestions (I know it's a pick-up)?

The only Fortuner that has a firm ride is the Sportivo. With the standard set up no problem. Try as said tyre pressures 30lbs all round cold. 29 would be Ok. Dont trust Thai garage air gauge's as their crap.

It's a bit of rubber at 500bt for Buddha sake. Just go buy your mitsu, rear axle. nissan, crap finish on body. mazda, drink fuel. and see how much you lose when you try and sell them.

Thanx for the valuable information , ivé been asking around before but no one seems to have an answer for me .. it´s still crap they cant mount a 500bt pcs. of rubber! haha wink.gif

Thanx for the valuable information , ivé been asking around before but no one seems to have an answer for me .. it´s still crap they cant mount a 500bt pcs. of rubber! haha wink.gif

I have inspected the bush in question on my ride and it is well designed :), mine is 4 years old and like new, so ol' chum take it from me the OP's problem l think is not a global recall issue. :lol:

I have inspected the bush in question on my ride and it is well designed :), mine is 4 years old and like new, so ol' chum take it from me the OP's problem l think is not a global recall issue. :lol:

Well , lets see this from the bright side , the heat and the smell of fuel from an open firewall makes the ride more HotRod like some how! 555 biggrin.gif