3G Sim Cards In Thailand

Chivas

Search is not bringing up too much on this subject.

Do they exist for Dtac or AIS or is it an urban myth ? Will a "normal" sim pick up a 3G signal if one exists ?

Want to use it in a dongle in Pattaya assuming signal exists ??

For Pattaya, you will need a standard TrueMove SIM and a dongle capable of communicating using UMTS/HSPDA 850 MHz.

So you can either buy TrueMove's aircard for 2000 baht or try to source your own.

An easy to find candidate is the Huawei E160, but make sure it is the E160 and not one of it's variants. e.g E160E.

Lots of threads here with info.

For Pattaya, you will need a standard TrueMove SIM and a dongle capable of communicating using UMTS/HSPDA 850 MHz.

So you can either buy TrueMove's aircard for 2000 baht or try to source your own.

An easy to find candidate is the Huawei E160, but make sure it is the E160 and not one of it's variants. e.g E160E.

Lots of threads here with info.

Yes I already have that dongle.

And does Truemove offer an unlimited data package ??

Sorry but unlimited 3g internet is a thing of the past in Thailand, I currently have it with true move, but they have changed the package for new customers now, to either 3gb or 5gb per month then after that the speed is throttled to 256kbps, which is less than EDGE I don't understand their thinking they should of throttled it down to say 512kbps, then it would of been useable.

I think you might be able to buy an 30 hours 3g service from true but it works out quite expensive, just take a look at their website.

IEC which uses TOT is the best value package if you have to pay per GB, but not sure if TOT have 3g in Pattaya, they have in Bangkok, and 1gb is 100 baht, but they have new promotions all the time.

Prepay options True Move

699 baht 1 month, 3GB data, unlimited Wi-Fi 8mb.

349 baht 15 hours, unlimited download, 100 hours Wi-Fi/Edge but when you use all the 15 hours its a throw away sim card, because stupid True Move, make you wait 30 days until you can recharge no if's or buts, had a blazing argument as to why, they said thats the promotion if you want to continue using buy another sim card.

Prepay options True Move

699 baht 1 month, 3GB data, unlimited Wi-Fi 8mb.

349 baht 15 hours, unlimited download, 100 hours Wi-Fi/Edge but when you use all the 15 hours its a throw away sim card, because stupid True Move, make you wait 30 days until you can recharge no if's or buts, had a blazing argument as to why, they said thats the promotion if you want to continue using buy another sim card.

I'll stick to Edge then at around 800 baht unlimited data for now via Dtac and AIS.

Wanted the faster speed to watch the occasional show via iplayers for the BBC and ITV but getting faster speed through a landline is not an option for now.

I just got the True "hi speed" sim and had a heck of a time getting it activated- 4 calls to customer dis-service. They informed me there is no longer unlimited data via pre-paid sims; you have to get a post-pay and go to their office and show your passport and work permit. I am near Khrung Thonburi BTS and edge runs 5 to 60K/sec but often sits at zero for several seconds at a time between "bursts" of data.

Their rep told me that if I get their dongle I can use both edge and GPRS (or was it edge and 3g?????)- true? And why can't I buy such a modem at Pantip?????

Overall, would DTAC be a better choice for me than True(doesn't)Move? Which sim card do I get? My 12Call unlimited Edge plan used to be the bomb but it got slower and slower and slower.

Edited by monekyface

I just got the True "hi speed" sim and had a heck of a time getting it activated- 4 calls to customer dis-service. They informed me there is no longer unlimited data via pre-paid sims; you have to get a post-pay and go to their office and show your passport and work permit. I am near Khrung Thonburi BTS and edge runs 5 to 60K/sec but often sits at zero for several seconds at a time between "bursts" of data.

Their rep told me that if I get their dongle I can use both edge and GPRS (or was it edge and 3g?????)- true? And why can't I buy such a modem at Pantip?????

Overall, would DTAC be a better choice for me than True(doesn't)Move? Which sim card do I get? My 12Call unlimited Edge plan used to be the bomb but it got slower and slower and slower.

What are you using to connect to the Internet if not a dongle? If so, which model?

Sorry but unlimited 3g internet is a thing of the past in Thailand, I currently have it with true move, but they have changed the package for new customers now, to either 3gb or 5gb per month then after that the speed is throttled to 256kbps, which is less than EDGE I don't understand their thinking they should of throttled it down to say 512kbps, then it would of been useable.

I think you might be able to buy an 30 hours 3g service from true but it works out quite expensive, just take a look at their website.

IEC which uses TOT is the best value package if you have to pay per GB, but not sure if TOT have 3g in Pattaya, they have in Bangkok, and 1gb is 100 baht, but they have new promotions all the time.

Not quite right. EDGE in Thailand maxs out at around 236.8kbps, with TRUE's EDGE being limited to around half that figure. So 3G at 256kbps is still eminently usable.

Not quite right. EDGE in Thailand maxs out at around 236.8kbps, with TRUE's EDGE being limited to around half that figure. So 3G at 256kbps is still eminently usable.

You are not correct about EDGE, I have used Ais, DTAC & True move EDGE and all connnect at 384kbps, and I can download at about 350kbps or about 43kbs, so EDGE is faster than 256kbps 3G, if you don't believe me I can supply screen shots showing this. But the ping time might be slower on EDGE, depends on True's setup on 3G.

Edited by colinthailand20005

You are not correct about EDGE, I have used Ais, DTAC & True move EDGE and all connnect at 384kbps, and I can download at about 350kbps or about 43kbs, so EDGE is faster than 256kbps 3G, if you don't believe me I can supply screen shots showing this. But the ping time might be slower on EDGE, depends on True's setup on 3G.

Perhaps some more research is needed. TRUE cap their EDGE throughput at around 115kbps, so it would be impossible for you to download at the speeds that you have indicated. Perhaps something has changed since I last looked.

It is not the netoworks connecting at that speed, but your modem's capability(384kbps). Much like LAN connecting at 100MBps doesn't mean that your Internet throughput matches.

But I would be interested to see your screenshots showing your downloads running at 43kB/s.

From the DTAC website......

EDGE and GPRS are data technologies built on top of the GSM mobile standard. GPRS has speed of up to 40 kbps. EDGE has speed of up to 200 kbps. dtac’s EDGE network is designed to give you a reliable speed.......

So whilst, theoretically, EDGE can offer a maximum data transfer rate of 384kbps, you are the first person I have read who claims to be receiving it. But from TRUE, no way.

Try running a poll asking people to document their EDGE download speeds.

So again, if TRUE are offering a 'solid' 256kbps connection after 3GB, it should be at least as good as any EDGE connection in Thailand.

Perhaps some more research is needed. TRUE cap their EDGE throughput at around 115kbps, so it would be impossible for you to download at the speeds that you have indicated. Perhaps something has changed since I last looked.

It is not the netoworks connecting at that speed, but your modem's capability(384kbps). Much like LAN connecting at 100MBps doesn't mean that your Internet throughput matches.

But I would be interested to see your screenshots showing your downloads running at 43kB/s.

EDGE and GPRS are data technologies built on top of the GSM mobile standard. GPRS has speed of up to 40 kbps. EDGE has speed of up to 200 kbps. dtac's EDGE network is designed to give you a reliable speed.......

So whilst, theoretically, EDGE can offer a maximum data transfer rate of 384kbps, you are the first person I have read who claims to be receiving it. But from TRUE, no way.

So again, if TRUE are offering a 'solid' 256kbps connection after 3GB, it should be at least as good as any EDGE connection in Thailand.

Where did you get capping at 115kbps, did you just dream this number up?

I have attached my screen prints,

Today I could only manage more than double your quoted speed at a total of 277kbps, which exceeds 256kbps of the poor 3G for new users.

But I am one of the lucky ones with an on going contract so unlimited at very high speeds.

Do you even have True move?

Maybe you are using EDGE through a mobile phone because some of the modems are limited to that type of speed, you tell me to do my research before, how about you!

I also attached my 3G download speed of 6.58mbps, I'm sure you will doubt its authenticity, but I don't need to lie about it.

post-119221-0-85708700-1302008729_thumb.

post-119221-0-72921000-1302008742_thumb.

Those are impressive data rates. I have TrueMove and rarely see north of 115 Kbps on 2G and 4 Mbps on 3G. (I do see much better upload speeds.) I am fairly certain that True's 2G (EDGE) has a maximum theoretical data rate of 236.8 Kbps (4 timeslots), as do DTAC and AIS/One-2-Call, so your 277 Kbps certainly raises a few eyebrows. Can you check speeds at a more independent site, like NECTEC? Many ISPs 'spoof' speedtest queries to assuage customers.

Also can you describe your set-up? Are you tethering an Iphone? An aircard? What plan do you have? True are ratcheting unlimited plans back to 3 GB as the contracts expire so you should expect that sometime in the future.

EDGE and GPRS are data technologies built on top of the GSM mobile standard. GPRS has speed of up to 40 kbps. EDGE has speed of up to 200 kbps. dtac's EDGE network is designed to give you a reliable speed.......

Where did you get capping at 115kbps, did you just dream this number up?

I have attached my screen prints,

Today I could only manage more than double your quoted speed at a total of 277kbps, which exceeds 256kbps of the poor 3G for new users.

But I am one of the lucky ones with an on going contract so unlimited at very high speeds.

Do you even have True move?

Maybe you are using EDGE through a mobile phone because some of the modems are limited to that type of speed, you tell me to do my research before, how about you!

I also attached my 3G download speed of 6.58mbps, I'm sure you will doubt its authenticity, but I don't need to lie about it.

I got the 115 kbps figure from True. This was perhaps a year ago. The performance certainly reflected that figure.

The 277kbps that you show doesn't quite match the 384kbps you claimed, but is still respectable.

Yes, I was using the TrueMove 3G service up until a few days ago. The figures I received were nothing like those indicated in your post.

Perhaps you have a different gateway.

Are the username and password visible on the TrueMove connection manager? Perhaps you can let us know. I used true : true with APN: internet as I used a generic version of Mobile Partner together with a Huawei E160.

Perhaps you are in a test area in BKK. :)

Edited by astral
Please don't shout in bold type faces. Thank you

I am using a dongle but it's not from True. Should I get the Huawei E160? I hate to spend 2k baht and find out that it doesn't help me. When I see people talk about 100K+ speeds I am green with envy. Pathetic, but true. I get rates of 0-60K lately but mostly 0-15K. Is this because my modem can't do 3G?? Is 3G really that much faster around Khrung Thonburi/ Wongwian Yai?

Instead of using my laptop with the dongle should I just buy a new smartphone and put my True hi speed internet sim in there for email and facebook???? How much will my location limit my speeds? Does anyone use a true sim with a 3G dongle or a smartphone in my area?

Thanks for the info- I appreciate any help you can provide!!!!!!!! :jap:

I am using a dongle but it's not from True. Should I get the Huawei E160? I hate to spend 2k baht and find out that it doesn't help me. When I see people talk about 100K+ speeds I am green with envy. Pathetic, but true. I get rates of 0-60K lately but mostly 0-15K. Is this because my modem can't do 3G?? Is 3G really that much faster around Khrung Thonburi/ Wongwian Yai?

Instead of using my laptop with the dongle should I just buy a new smartphone and put my True hi speed internet sim in there for email and facebook???? How much will my location limit my speeds? Does anyone use a true sim with a 3G dongle or a smartphone in my area?

Thanks for the info- I appreciate any help you can provide!!!!!!!! :jap:

You still haven't stated the model of your modem.

Perhaps it will be better for you to use TOT 3G(or one of it MVNOs) You can pick up an iKool 3G SIM for 99 baht in order to test the service.

"

Sorry, my bad. The modem just says "edge modem" on it. I actually have two of them- the other one says "edge modem" as well. Only one of them has a detachable panel- no info under there either. The other just has a slot that I slide the sim into.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!

That would explain why you are only getting EDGE speeds. :)

You need a 3G modem. The Huawei E160 is relatively cheap(but old technology) and will allow you to connect to TOT 3G as well as TRUE 3G where available.

The E176 is a little better. The E1553 is much the same as the E160. If you go for the E160, do not purchase one with an extra letter, such as the E160E/X/G. Only the E160 is suitable.

If I'm unsure whether I want the Huawei E176 or the i-Kool iFox, which do you recommend? I assume that with iKool service I can't top up at my local 7-11? And will a stroll around Pantip get me either of these modems?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Edited by monekyface

If I'm unsure whether I want the Huawei E176 or the i-Kool iFox, which do you recommend? I assume that with iKool service I can't top up at my local 7-11? And will a stroll around Pantip get me either of these modems?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!:D

iKool: you can buy Top-Up PIN from retailers, including convenience stores, 7-11, petrol stations, book stores, etc which has "Counter Service" logo.

I imagine the Huawei would have wider support in the way of firmware updates etc.

Here is a good overview of the iFox Aircard HSPA-800.

OK I'm back from Pantip and the Huawei was not easy to find. In fact, when I did find it, it was 1890 baht. The dude was on the top floor- 4th??? He had all kinds of air cards and 3G modems but he was pricey. I strarted working my way back down- there were lots of models of iFox everywhere- so, so many models. Lots of O2 and others. Then I noticed a D-Link 3.75G HSUPA USB adapter DWM-156. OH- another thing- what is UP with iKool???? It was very hard to find the iKool sims. At any rate, I saw this D-Link bundled with a free sim. The salesperson was confused, and told me it was only bundled with some other kind of sim. He went to ask his boss, and his boss said no, "falang no buy." LOL. He said you need a work permit, gotta register it, etc. I said no I'm a tourist.

So, long story short, they ended up substituting an iKool sim card for me. When I get the thing home I unwrap it and it seems that there was already an iKool sim in the D-Link box!!!! So now I have two iKool sims. I don't know about the one that he gave me as part of the substitution deal, but the one that is inside the D-Link package says it is 500MB of data for 99 baht. OH-OH- I forgot to say that this was cheaper than the Huawei E176- I paid 1590 baht for the modem. But also, on the way down to leave I noticed one of the big retailers had the E176 but I didn't stop to ask the price. It wasn't the best time to shop around with Songkran coming and everyone anxious to leave. I don't doubt that the Huawei E176 can be had for 1500 baht, but the way my shopping was going I was happy to get out of the place with a modem and a sim.

I am hoping I can top up at 7-11; I know that iKool's website says that but when most vendors at Pantip look at you like you have 3 heads when you ask for an iKool sim- well- I wonder. I don't know how this DWM-156 differs from the Huawei that I was going to buy, but it says it supports: Up to 7.2Mbps UMTS HSDPA HSUPA SMS and Phonebook It also takes a 32GB micro SD card. It says Band: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 The salesperson said it will work with both True and TOT.

~~~ UPDATE- these specs are not on the box, but I found them elsewhere online:

Band UMTS HSDPA / *

• 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz

Edited by monekyface

No, here is the sad ending. I blew through the 500MB trial. Wow, I'm hating life. I put the other iKool sim in---- nothing!!!! I can't connect at all. Why, oh God of Abraham, why???? So I was using my Edge modem with 12Call until I remembered the hi-speed True sim that I bought a few days ago. And boom- I'm back to 3G...but for how long? What is the promo with True? And how much will I pay to top up my iKool??? I need like 1000MB a day!!!!! This isn't a solution, is it?

OK this is not bad- 5000MB for 500baht.

http://www.i-kool.ne...pup.php?lang=en

Thanks for all of your help Mr. Jitsu!

iKool/TOT 3G will be better value than TRUE.

Make sure that any Top Up to iKool will be applied to Data use and will be available for you, before you apply any top up. Reason being that TRUE block you from applying another package to the same SIM until your 30 day period is up.

So check with I-Kool on 0 2333 3333 before you apply any top ups.

Perhaps you can look for the elusive iKool 3G30 pack. 30GB over 30 days.

Someone was selling them them for 400 baht on this number; 02-6617720 But I think that you may have missed the boat as the card was to be activated by the 31st of March.

Perhaps elsewhere.

You can buy an iFox/iKool 5GB data card for 499 baht. http://www.ifoxonline.com/product/product.php?CategoryID=3&subCategoryID=9&ProductID=31

If you are a mad downloading fiend and need unlimited downloads, take a look at the IEC/TOT offering. Unlimited data for 15 and 30 days. 790 and 1490 baht respectively. Here

These are use and throw away cards, only for Data usage. You can also buy the SIMs in packs of two.

2 x 15 days would be 1490 baht.

2 x 30 days would be 2690 baht.

That should keep you busy for a while....

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu