I Think I May Have A Problem With My Airblade ?

chris5346

hi,

i have a one year old airblade with only 3000km on the clock and it appears to have a running problem,

it slightly splutters from the exhaust especially when cold and decelerating also it seems to use a lot of fuel requiring refilling every few days ?

i tried a new scoopy the other day and at slow speed i was much easier to contol than my airblade and much smoother and no exhaust noise compared to mine.

on the airblade there seems to be a slight tinkling noise coming from low down on the right hand side close to the exhaust/engine which maybe a problem or me being over sensitive ?

any suggestions or ideas from anyone ?

i live in chiang mai and use it just in the city going accross town a couple of times a day etc also usually carry a passenger and loaded up so maybe that explains the fuel .

thanks for looking

Have you stored the bike for a long time? then get the carb cleaned. do you use gasohol? i have had same problem with my Nouvo, i got the mechanic to pull carb and fuel line apart and clean it, no problem now

forgot: Air blade EFI???

Edited by HDRIDER

I have had the same problem, hard to start, even stalled when cold. I found it was from dirty fuel mainly gasohol. I purchase fuel engine cleaner for a car, one bottle treats 60 liters of fuel. Works like a charm, but I am sure having everything serviced and cleaned would be a better solution. But I just add every tank other tank and the bike runs like a top.

As mentioned, most likely a carb problem, however there is another possibility. The exhaust pipe may be getting clogged, the cat inside sometimes clogs with oil on these models. See if the pipe is clear, even replace it. Indicative of this failure though is a reduction in torque, slow response etc... worth checking even for low mileage bikes, mine 3yr old but only 7K, both probs fixed.

Oz

thanks for replies,

i'll try taking back to the dealer that it came from but i'm the second owner so doubtful they will help much - i went there for the first service and they messed it up.

the bikes about a year and 4 months old.

the bike was barely used by the first owner in the first 6 months and since i have owned it it has always been laud/raspy and splutery especially at night but i didn't notice it when i brought it.

i usually use gasahol but sometimes i have used the red benzine is it ? should i try the 95 one ?

hi,

sorry to mention it hasn't got a carb it's injected,

i took it to honda dealer today and they said change to benzine and they changed the oil,

it maybe running a little better but i haven't tested at night yet and that's when it usually misfires.

does anyone know if I should replace the spark plug and maybe the fuel filter etc ?

i'm sure it's definately down on power and not as smooth from when i first got it but i don't think the honda dealer really cares - also i have major communication problems with these places and my gf .

what about a petrol addative ? maybe can clean the injector or something ?

other choice is to replace the exhaust like suggested but seems wrong with such low mileage,

and yes it has been sat for a few months recently too, i came back from uk and fuel had all evaporated so had to re-fill and took a while to start.

thanks for your help

If it was me I'd run it as low as you dare on gas, fill up on fresh Benzine from a proper gas station and then run it hard for a tank full of gas - just find a nice open road and just pin it for 30 minutes each way to blow out the cobwebs.

Then refill with 91 again and see how it is.

Not very technical advise I know, but old/crap fuel, a (possible) low battery and general lack of use is not a good combination. My bikes run like crap unless I ride them regularly. Good chance there's nothing wrong with it. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

hi,

sorry to mention it hasn't got a carb it's injected,

i took it to honda dealer today and they said change to benzine and they changed the oil,

it maybe running a little better but i haven't tested at night yet and that's when it usually misfires.

does anyone know if I should replace the spark plug and maybe the fuel filter etc ?

i'm sure it's definately down on power and not as smooth from when i first got it but i don't think the honda dealer really cares - also i have major communication problems with these places and my gf .

what about a petrol addative ? maybe can clean the injector or something ?

other choice is to replace the exhaust like suggested but seems wrong with such low mileage,

and yes it has been sat for a few months recently too, i came back from uk and fuel had all evaporated so had to re-fill and took a while to start.

thanks for your help

if that honda dealer is not good .. TAKE it to another one. a new spark plug and airfilter should improve things..also ask them to charge the battery. you say it runs worst at night so i am presuming that the lights are on. and yes some injector cleaner should help (use sparingly) .. if you leave the bike for more than a week make sure that it has benzine 91 in it NOT gasohol.

Air, Fuel, Spark. 3000km, filter should be ok, spark should be ok. you said the fuel evaporated and was hard to start because it had been sitting a while. try do the fuel system cleaning business recommended above. it should come good.

EFI. in the most part simply rely on throttle position, crank position/RPM and exhaust sensor to operate in closed loop mode.

I'm pretty sure the small hondas are open loop systems ie, don't use an exhaust gas sensor (i can't see one obviously on my click), so are relying on throttle position and crank position/RPM for the injector/ignition timings.

my guess (if not the fuel) at worst is your throttle position sensor is acting funky, or your crank position sensor is mis-aligned. NFI how to check/adjust it though if they can be, i've never seen them on the little bikes. On cars, they usually plug in a OBD2 checker which would indicate these things before you would even ask if there was a problem.

Though my experience with the honda dealers in CM is they got NFI. I always put Mobil1 in my click, and in 4 times:

1) would not put it in unless it had "Honda" on the label, even though the correct grade.

2) poured the whole 1L into the sump when it only required 700mL

3) tried to hide the bottle from me to keep the excess

4) flat tyre. replaced the tube, but didn't remove the barb in the tyre that punctured the tube in the first place.

5) see 2) again. i watched him this time and had to stop him. he looked at me like i'm an idiot then kept pouring. <deleted> would i know, i'm not the one wearing the honda service t-shirt.

6) and on all occasions (different dealers), confused as to why i wanted them to sign/fill out the service log at every maintenance interval.

hopefully someone has found a good one to get my bike serviced, let me know please.

It sounds like you may have electrical problem. I would check the injectors to make sure one is not fowled up. But you say your battery is dead. It may be that you have a short and you are not getting full power too the injectors to fire. Could also be why the battery is dead. I would look through you're wiring and see if there is a bare wire. Also look at all your grounds and make sure they are tight. I did a mod on my bike and did not get the ground tight for my wiring it was fine for a few days then started giving me all the same symptoms as you have until the battery went dead.

Remember with the fuel injection system you have electronics running them and ground is important and as night comes and things cool moisture forms.

I hate to sound so stupid, but where is the battery on my airblade? I have a dead battery, but can't find it.

The battery is behind the black plastic moulding between the front lights. Take out 2 screws on the back under the handle bars and then the plastic thingy slides upwards to remove.

Lights are on day and night so not your problem. Thought Airblades had a carb, must be new, the injection that is. Our Airblade is a sod to start if left for a long time, fuel evaporation l suppose with the carb.

If it is injected then the battery could be the problem but try a new plug as well :).