Tofu

Pattel

We buy ours in 7/11. Most grocery shops sell it, in the chilled section, near the cheese slices etc.

We prefer the CP brand, as it appears to have less water, so spits less when cooked. It is shaped like a sausage, and can be cut into 1cm slices, and fried, and turned, in quite hot oil until a bit brown on both sides. Serve with stir-fried veg and rice, and enjoy. This is one of my favourite meals.

There is also another type available at markets, which comes in a block roughly 5cm x 7cm and 2cm deep. This block can be cut into chunks, to taste, then fried as above, and served with Mae Pranom dipping for chicken, (as it says on the bottle...), which is a sweet chili dipping sauce available in grocery stores. Dip and enjoy.

Google is your friend for nutritional information, and lots more recipe ideas.

We buy ours in 7/11. Most grocery shops sell it, in the chilled section, near the cheese slices etc.

We prefer the CP brand, as it appears to have less water, so spits less when cooked. It is shaped like a sausage, and can be cut into 1cm slices, and fried, and turned, in quite hot oil until a bit brown on both sides. Serve with stir-fried veg and rice, and enjoy. This is one of my favourite meals.

There is also another type available at markets, which comes in a block roughly 5cm x 7cm and 2cm deep. This block can be cut into chunks, to taste, then fried as above, and served with Mae Pranom dipping for chicken, (as it says on the bottle...), which is a sweet chili dipping sauce available in grocery stores. Dip and enjoy.

Thanks johntou, I never realized that it would be so easily available.

Edited by Pattel

• 1 month later...

Thanks johntou, I never realized that it would be so easily available.

Maybe you should get out o Carrefor/Tops/Villa Market more. And as to recipes: Google is your friend.

Thai food uses three kinds of tofu. There's plain tofu, just tasting of soybeans, fish tofu and egg tofu. Fish tofu tastes (in my opinion) pretty nasty. Egg tofu is high in cholesterol and best avoided.

The hard tofu is quite good crumbled up and mashed with mayo, some chopped fresh veggies and served like an egg salad.

the soft tofu is in the plastic sausage looking bag and is commonly used in soups.

There are many places where you could buy Tofu. In Gourmet market, Emporium, you could get one Japanese brand which is delicious. There's a booth of this brand which also provides several types of Tofu including soy milk. Normally, you do not need to cook much with Tofu. You can even eat even though it is cold or use microwave to make it warm. It is usually ready to eat.

Since my previous post, I have checked out the chilled section in Tops supermarket. They have a wealth of tofu, different brands and varieties. Most of them do not contain egg or fish, and are better for that, IMO. I have stocked up our fridge, and we are enjoying cooking our way through them. Just had miso soup with silken tofu. Delicious!

• 3 weeks later...

Any and every mom'n'pop shop sells it, both yellow square cakes and plastic sausage.

Just choose any Thai curry and substitute the tofu for the meat.

Yotem Ottilengri has a lot of vegetarian/tofu recipes on the Guardian online.

Edited by krangeek

The hard tofu is quite good crumbled up and mashed with mayo, some chopped fresh veggies and served like an egg salad.

the soft tofu is in the plastic sausage looking bag and is commonly used in soups.

every Thai market has tofu available. Tofu is a common food here like noodles.

the yellow soft one is Egged tofu. it's not tasty and I don't eat it. being veg, tofu is the main source of protein. The hard one is yummy. Have you tasted b4?

slice it into 2 or 3( if you can but i can't) pieces and shallow fry,

when it till goes brown then take it out.

Put some cabbage + onion + tomato and mayonnaise = a tofu sandwich.

dice it, put some tomato sauce in a pan. heat it up then add some onion, mushroom, tomato, boil your spaghetti = tofu spaghetti in tomato sauce

sometimes cool salad is not bad similar to what she said. but I usually bake it first= tofu salad

googies + 10 mins = nice tofu menu :thumbsup:

Edited by dunkin2012

I always get the hard block plain tofu when in the market, fresh and locally made it is a good vegetable protein substitute for meat in a lot of recipes...bland and tasteless on its own but soaks up the flavor in a spaghetti sauce and etc and no fat...

here in VN they got the same stuff in the market like they do in Thailand...still warm from the vendor's kitchen; I've been adding it to my veg curries with a pleasing result...the block stores OK in the fridge for a week...:)