One Way Ticket Into Thailand

I am travelling to Thailand with a 1 year multi entry visa. My travel plans are very flexible at the moment and I'm not sure when I'll be returning. A 1 year open return ticket is very expensive either in the first place or if I want to make changes, whereas I can get a one way ticket for under £300 (including taxes). If I have a visa will I have any trouble getting into the country without a return ticket?

I came to Thailand about 2 yrs ago on a non imm o visa (multiple for 1 yr) , had to answer some questions at heathrow. Where is your return? I have a visa for 1 year im not sure if im returning from thailand etc.

If you have the visa there shouldn't be a problem. They may want to see credit cards too

I am travelling to Thailand with a 1 year multi entry visa. My travel plans are very flexible at the moment and I'm not sure when I'll be returning. A 1 year open return ticket is very expensive either in the first place or if I want to make changes, whereas I can get a one way ticket for under £300 (including taxes). If I have a visa will I have any trouble getting into the country without a return ticket?

As you will have to leave Thailand after 90 days according to the conditions of your visa and as you are unlikely to be returning to Europe on this first occasion, there is no logic whatsoever in requiring you to have a return ticket to Europe. I am sure explaining this to a senior member of check in staff if it is at first an issue should resolve the matter.

I returned to Bangkok with Gulf Air on August 22nd with only the return portion of a ticket, and nothing was said at all.

There is no problem with Thailand but I have heard of some airlines operating out of Europe area being very insistent on a r/t ticket so you may want to check with your airline to be sure.

If my airline has sold me a 1 way ticket they had better not complain I have no return! :o

Thanks for the advice folks.

There is no problem with Thailand but I have heard of some airlines operating out of Europe area being very insistent on a r/t ticket so you may want to check with your airline to be sure.

If my airline has sold me a 1 way ticket they had better not complain I have no return! :o

It depends on the airline , I was made to buy a ticket out of Thailand ( whilst trying to check in at LHR) before they would check me in.

The reason for this is that if the Thai immigration do not allow you entry , the airline are responsible for paying for your fare back to your destination.

The travel agents will say no problem , they don't have to pay your return.

:D

ps And I had a 90 days visa stamp as well.

Edited by chonabot

how did u get the one year visa? how long did it take? so u dont have to make cambo runs?

how did u get the one year visa? how long did it take? so u dont have to make cambo runs?

That visa is relatively easily obtained in western countries. It is for one year but only allows up to 90 day stays on each entry.

It depends on the airline , I was made to buy a ticket out of Thailand ( whilst trying to check in at LHR) before they would check me in.

The reason for this is that if the Thai immigration do not allow you entry , the airline are responsible for paying for your fare back to your destination.

The travel agents will say no problem , they don't have to pay your return.

:D

ps And I had a 90 days visa stamp as well.

THat's very worrying, I have emailed the airlines I am considering travelling with to find out about this. Are you a UK passport holder?

I have traveled from LHR a number of times with only a ticket to thailand. I have brought tickets from thailand BBK>LHR and LHR>BBK.

I was never even questioned about it. I know quite a few people that have done this with no problems.

why does the airline sell a one way ticket if you can't travel on it?

wost case, tell them you have a e ticket with some other airline to travel on to XXX.

The last time I bought a 1-way ticket to Thailand, the airline wouldn't let me board the plane without buying a return ticket. This was in 2002, Boston; everyone was hysterical after 9/11.

I put a return ticket on my credit card, boarded the plane, and got a refund on my card from their corporate offices in Bangkok.