No More 30Day Extension On Tourist Visa?

hi,

i hope someone can give me some clear advice. i have a single entry tourist visa which ends on 28th may. i had hoped to get a 30 day extension but a thai friend has told me that i will only get a 7 day extension. she says if i want 30days, i have to fly out and then fly back into the country. i am sure she's wrong but my thai girlfriend thinks otherwise. can i get another 30 days? and if so, does it matter which immigratiion office do i go to?

hope someone can help.

james

(Figure I'll hijack this thread since question is answered and my question's relevant to the OP anyway lol)

For the extension, is it just passport sized photo + fill in the form + 1900 Bhat?

When I went to get mine last time, I had a friend at the international relations office at the university help me, and they said that I needed to photocopy every page of my passport aswell (And then they told me I should sign every page aswell)

Is this necessary at all? (cbf pissing around with 30 pages of photo copying if it's not needed)

Edited by SlyAnimal

At Chiang Mai immigration you just need photocopy of front page of passport and exit card and visa. So basically 3 photocopy pages. They also ask you initial each page.

Fill out the form and include a passport sized photo and that's it. 30 more days.

Sweet, that's what I figured was more likely what I needed :)

Maybe would depend more on how long you are staying and what/where you get a new Tourist Visa if your staying...

I sent a email to 2 different Agents in Penang, my friend wanted to know the options..

Both Agent replied with the same thing you will NOT get another Tourist Visa if you have an extension on a Tourist visa in Penang, one Agent said there was no limit as long as you got back to back Tourist Visa's [there are in some places max 2 or 3]

As I have said before it appear every Consulate/Embassy have there own interpretation

The OP question has nothing to do with new visas in Penang. But it does have a lot to do with what he has now. If it is a Consulate issued tourist visa then yes the 30 day extension of stay is available. But if it is really a visa exempt entry for 30 days obtained on entry (which many call a tourist visa) then only 7 days would be available and likely also require proof of exit in that time.

The OP question has nothing to do with new visas in Penang. But it does have a lot to do with what he has now. If it is a Consulate issued tourist visa then yes the 30 day extension of stay is available. But if it is really a visa exempt entry for 30 days obtained on entry (which many call a tourist visa) then only 7 days would be available and likely also require proof of exit in that time.

Sorry, but as today is 5th April, and the OP posted yesterday 4th, and he says his tourist visa is good until 28th May that then is a proper 60day tourist visa, as a visa exempt entry is only 30 days..... The OP question based on dates given has nothing to do with visa exempt entry.

As the OP has not said if he is staying longer than 30 days after the 28th May. Consulate/Embassy in the area have a lot to do with if he should get a extension or not... If he is staying in the South then Penang it appears will not issue another Tourist Visa after an extension, if he is staying in the East then P.P will, so far have not got a true answer from Valentine.

Admit I did miss that date - he is asking about extensions really early. Don't see many posts like that. :D

Still believe the Penang is cart before the horse but to continue in that vain how recent is your email correspondence? Penang seems to change policy more often than most politicians.

Admit I did miss that date - he is asking about extensions really early. Don't see many posts like that. :D

Still believe the Penang is cart before the horse but to continue in that vain how recent is your email correspondence? Penang seems to change policy more often than most politicians.

Penang Thursday last week, P.P. yesterday at 3pm

My friends Tourist Visa runs out 4th May and has been asking what to do for the last 2 weeks + whats to stay about 5 months after the 4th May

Edited by ignis

Many seasoned travelers to Thailand say it's always better to "Over Visa." If there is any chance you may need to stay beyond the tourist visa's time limits, it's better to do a "multiple entry" at your home country's embassy or consulate. Ounce in country, the cost of remedying this situation will cost you threefold. And remember, all consulates have different guidelines.

Some say the wait for a USA visa in Manila is measured in years.

Edited by thaigold