Battery Charger

I have a Toyota 3 litre diesel truck. I only seem to be making short journeys right now so would like to buy a b/c to keep the battery topped up. There is shop across the road from Foodland on Pattaya Klang that have a few in stock but as I'm not electrically inclined I'm unsure which to get. I would really like an automatic b/c so I don't have to set any dials or such and none of these seem to be that type. I don't need a quick charge up so does it matter which one I buy, or do I have to get one designed for the bigger engine? Any advice appreciated, also anyone know another shop to buy b/c in Pattaya? :o:D

I think possibly a Battery Tender is more what you need. A BT will very slowly recharge a battery and automatically switch off when it's full. Then it will sense any drop in charge and switch itself on.

Is there a forum for owners of Toyota trucks? If so, then there may be someone who could tell you how long you have to drive your truck in order to replace the charge taken out of the battery to start it up.

With my M/Cs, it takes about 20-30 minutes of highway riding speeds to replenish the battery to full strength.

That's all I can say until someone more knowledgable comes along. Sorry.

:o

Edited by Gazza

Just MO but i would think that if the battery is in reasonable condition , short journeys around town should be enough to keep you getting started. If you are leaving the truck idle for more than a month you could disconnect the terminals to stop the battery from running too low.

Just MO but i would think that if the battery is in reasonable condition , short journeys around town should be enough to keep you getting started. If you are leaving the truck idle for more than a month you could disconnect the terminals to stop the battery from running too low.

I agree with Cobber as can not imagine you are using that much power to crank it up and would think a truck these days would be using an alternator (rather than the generators I grew up with). Most people here in Bangkok only make short trips but none seem to need a battery charger.

I have a Toyota 3 litre diesel truck. I only seem to be making short journeys right now so would like to buy a b/c to keep the battery topped up. There is shop across the road from Foodland on Pattaya Klang that have a few in stock but as I'm not electrically inclined I'm unsure which to get. I would really like an automatic b/c so I don't have to set any dials or such and none of these seem to be that type. I don't need a quick charge up so does it matter which one I buy, or do I have to get one designed for the bigger engine? Any advice appreciated, also anyone know another shop to buy b/c in Pattaya? :o  :D

I am not clear on why you need to buy a b/c.

Are you experiencing slow cranking ?

Just worried in case you have a problem ?

A low battery (evidenced by slow or no engine cranking) is usually a first sign that the alternator or rectifiers are not working rather than anything wrong with the battery. If the battery is less than 3 yrs old it should be ok. Not likely you have the rogue defective cell, but that is possible too.

Any auto mechanic should be able to check it all in 10 minutes.

FWIW.

Gazza seems to be the only one to have come up with a logical solution! My battery would probably be well topped up if I was using the truck every day for 20 - 30 mins. but I'm not. I am making smaller journeys and I don't leave the engine running when waiting for more than 2 mins. I go up the road to a restaurant, stop. Back down the road to a bar, stop. Round the corner to the store, stop. This will take a lot more juice out of a battery than goes in! As for people making short journeys with no problems in Bangkok, well a short journey could be half a mile but take 30 mins. to make it giving the battery plenty of time to charge. Please don't post any replies about changing my lifestyle either, I doubt if many of you who live out of town would walk to the nearest bar.