Nokia C5-03 Problem (Warning To All)

Awohalitsiktoli

My guess is that most of the smart computer experts here already know this: Do not buy a Nokia C5-03 or any Symbian OS phone.

I just spent 6400 baht for a new Nokia C5-03 and can't even get email, the main reason I bought the phone.

I have taken the phone to Nokia (can't fix it), and AIS (can't fix it). The problem seems to be the Symbian OS and its incompatibility with some email servers.

Any recommendations on Android OS phones? HTC? Samsung? Other?

Relatedly, can you change the Symbian OS system in a Nokia phone to an Android OS system?

Can you give more details about the problem.

There are other email clients for the Symbian OS, that you may wish to try.

I can't change my email client (for reasons I prefer not to state here).

I can set up and account like this: [email protected]

But, oddly, I cannot set up a business account that uses Google mail (it does not have gmail.com at the end). Figure that out!

I may end up forwarding my google business account to the gmail.com account that works (a possible work-around solution).

Before buying my phone, I knew nothing about Symbian vs Android. Now, having done some reading, I can only say avoid Symbian OS phones.

I am now going on three frustrating weeks just trying to set up my email using the Nokia C5-03. Buyer beware! I would never, ever do it again....no more Nokia for me....thanks Nokia!

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

But, oddly, I cannot set up a business account that uses Google mail (it does not have gmail.com at the end). Figure that out!

I may end up forwarding my google business account to the gmail.com account that works (a possible work-around solution).

Before buying my phone, I knew nothing about Symbian vs Android. Now, having done some reading, I can only say avoid Symbian OS phones.

I am now going on three frustrating weeks just trying to set up my email using the Nokia C5-03. Buyer beware! I would never, ever do it again....no more Nokia for me....thanks Nokia!

Based on your other posts I suspect that you are finding it challenging to properly configure your phone for your specific email account(s). Configuring email accounts can be difficult and complex. I honestly believe your Nokia C5-03 can be properly configured, but if it makes you feel better to vent go for it.

Gmail apps for business say they support Nokia Symbian S60, as does your phone. I think you need to do some more research re: settings.

You cannot run Android on your Noia phone.

HTC have a trade in option at the moment, I think you get 4000 baht off the price of a new HTC Desire HD. You not getting all of your money back but you will get one of the best Android phones in Thailand.

I would really like to look into this offer. Can you please provide some info on where to find out more about it?

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138784

Google Sync: Required software - Mail for Exchange Share Comment

To use Google Sync with your Nokia phone, you need to install Mail for Exchange, a free software application from Nokia. Many Nokia phones ship with it, but we recommend that you download the latest version from the Nokia website.

To check which version is installed on your phone, open the App.mgr. application, typically located in the Tools folder. In the Options menu, highlight Mail for Exchange and select View Details. Google Sync works best with version 2.09 (also called 2.9) or above.

To download the latest version of the software, follow these steps:

Visit the Nokia Business website from your desktop or your phone's web browser.

Select your Region and Phone Model from the dropdown list (if your phone isn't listed here you probably won't be able to use Mail for Exchange on your phone).

Click Mail for Exchange download.

Fill out the required forms and proceed to download the software.

Tip: Download the Mail for Exchange User Guide from Nokia's page for additional installation help.

Obviously, in hindsight knowing that I am using this unique Google Apps for Business email program, and need mobile access I would have done a lot more research before buying a phone. An Android phone would probably have been a much better choice.

FWIW, in the future when asking for help you might consider sharing the all the details of your situation. In your previous thread I do not believe you ever mentioned that you had this unique GMail application? Finally, did you get the data APN set up properly?

Based on your other posts I suspect that you are finding it challenging to properly configure your phone for your specific email account(s). Configuring email accounts can be difficult and complex. I honestly believe your Nokia C5-03 can be properly configured, but if it makes you feel better to vent go for it.

Gmail apps for business say they support Nokia Symbian S60, as does your phone. I think you need to do some more research re: settings.

You cannot run Android on your Noia phone.

It is not just me having a problem; Nokia service center in Bangkok can't configure it; AIS can't configure it. The part below about "mail for exchange" is interesting, but surely Nokia and AIS know this (maybe not). At this point I have set up the business Google mail so that it is forwarded to an email account that I can set up on the Symbian OS phone. Really, it should not be this difficult. Nokia has messed up. I strongly advise people to go with Android OS. In fact, if I could trade my Nokia for HTC as one poster mentioned, I would do it today.

I have the N8 and N97, the n97 is running the same symbian OS to the c5 and it is fine with gmail and microsoft exchange, my n8 is on a different symbian and it is fine as well so the call that all symbian OS should be avoided is a bit OTT.

edit: the it manager at my work set them up, maybe you need to find someone that is more than a counter pleb.

Edited by Spoonman

Symbian or Android doesn't matter. As long as your email host has Exchange Server, POP or IMAP and your good to go as long as you know their settings.

Looks more of classic case of issue being between keypad and chair. Try to find someone who's familiar with email server settings or google and learn. Lomatopo is right, your best bet is to use the Nokia exchange sync.

http://androidforums.com/huawei-ideos-x6/254641-huawei-ideos-x6-2.html

Just switched my Nexus one for one of these as it is compatible with True 3G. Fast/sleek and only 10000 baht.

This is also available locally from WellcoM as the A99, also in the Philipines and Bangladesh (Cherry Magnum HD). This Huawei U9000 ideos X6, and all the variants, has by far the best price/performance ratio, IMO.

Note that globally there are two variants: one with 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G radio and another with a 900/1900/2100 Mhz 3 G radio so make sure to get the one that meets your specific requirements. True use 850 Mhz here, TOT use 2100 Mhz. The WellcoM A99, and the Cherry Magnum HD are 850/1900/2100.

There are some complaints in Thai forums about hardware issues with the A99, but this may just be a few people with problems.

Edited by lomatopo