Superstores Can Move Closer To Main Centres

george

TOWN PLANNING CHANGE / SMALL RETAILERS UPSET

Superstores can move closer to main centres

BANGKOK: -- Local retailers are opposing a new town planning regulation which eases restrictions on large retail stores, allowing them to open much closer to municipal zones nationwide. At least 70 representatives of local retailers across the country will present their case to Deputy Interior Minister Sermsak Pongpanit today.

The regulation was issued early this month by the Public Works and Town and Country Planning Department.

It allows superstores, ranging in size from 300 to 4,000 square metres, to open within two kilometres of the municipal area.

The previous regulation, in force since 2003, requires superstores to be at least 15km from a municipal area.

Pianjai Rotjanasinwilai, a retailer from Saraburi province, said the change would hurt local retailers and fresh markets across the country. ``We love competition and self-improvement as long as the rules are fair,'' she said. ``But this regulation opens the door for giant retailers such as Tesco-Lotus, Carrefour, Makro and Big-C, to move into communities.

``It is tantamount to having lightweight boxers fight with heavyweights,'' she said. Local shops would gradually have to close, as had happened in Bangkok's Klong Toey area after Tesco-Lotus opened there.

Sawang Srisakul, chief of the town planning department, said people who disagree with the regulation could ask their local municipality to issue a new municipal code. He said the provision was a response to the government's policy to encourage giant retailers to invest in the three restive southern provinces and six tsunami-ravaged provinces on the Andaman coast.

--Bangkok Post 2005-09-26

I'm no sure about the effectiveness of the existing law anyway. Provided money goes in the right direction, I think these rules may be overlooked.

I spend a fair amount of tiime in Chachoengsao where last year Big C opened its doors, about a couple of kilometres from the municipal centre. A few weeks ago, right in the middle of town, surprise, surprise, Carrefour opened. Both large complexes.

I wonder where and when Tesco Lotus will appear?

It's about time. Up here in the far side of the Isaan we could hardly get a bottle of milk or a loaf of bread if it were not for the 7-11s occasionally stocking them. If there is a Macro next door I can still go to the open market if I choose to. I think most of the natives will do that. And yes, there are a couple of superstores in Roi Et nearby, right on the main street through town, as they should be. The shoppers want them. What do we owe the small merchants that we have to protect them from competition?

Bryan

The previous regulation, in force since 2003, requires superstores to be at least 15km from a municipal area.

Yeh right, I can't think of one superstore that is not smack bang in the middle of a town or right on the outskirts

Must have been for new stores because all the big ones , BigC, Makro, Lotus, Carefour are less then 4 kms from city center in Chiangmai.