Songran Pattaya

deejah

some of you veterans may be able to help out here

input on when you think the water throwing will BEGIN and why

thanks in advance

(i am sure it will be going by the 13

but how much sooner than that has it begun in the past

or how much earlier might it begin in general around here in pattaya)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When will it begin? Too bleedin' soon. :realangry:

When will it end? Not soon enough. :realangry: :realangry:

Many shops and restaurants (including my favourite one :realangry: :realangry: :realangry: ) are closing from the 11th till the 20th.

Edited by Darrel

Many shops and restaurants (including my favourite one :realangry: :realangry: :realangry: ) are closing from the 11th till the 20th.

I agree, Pattaya is the worst place to be for Songkran. It will probably start this weekend and go on for the usual 10/12 days.

My guess is that water throwing will begin on Monday 11... in the tourist zone. There are too many tourists who can't wait to start. The general area will start on 13. In Pattaya you cannot get less than a week of this.

I'm only guessing...

This will be a week of stupidity,people will end up being killed and many will lose their lives.

I am not looking forward to be powerfully squirted in the eyes with a water gun nor having a bucket of water chucked over my meal at a outdoor restaurant.

Personally i think its very stupid and i told a Thai businessman that tonight,he went on to tell me that in other places in Thailand,that in fact they do not "go on stupid behaviour" as in Pattaya,but neverless the behaviour i have seen in the past from both younger farangs and Thais do not make me exzcited.

Edited by actiondell4

My guess is that water throwing will begin on Monday 11... in the tourist zone. There are too many tourists who can't wait to start. The general area will start on 13. In Pattaya you cannot get less than a week of this.

I'm only guessing...

I've already seen some little farang brats throwing water off roofs on passerbys while their mother supervised in the background.

Songkran is a great Thai new years festival. it's mostly the farangs that turn it into a nightmare here in Pattaya. I will be staying in my room for a week or getting the hell out of here.

True, but most of the farangs keep it to the allocated dates. Also

they typically hang out downtown. I couldn't care less about those

people ...

It's the stupid Thai kids that will throw water starting on the 12,

and all the way through the 20 of April. I wish the cops would

enforce the official dates so we regular ex-pats can live a normal

live during this hell period ...

Of to Makro, stoking up for the next 3-4 weeks ....

Cheers,

rudi

I stocked up in 'Friendship' yesterday for the forthcoming week. I usually try to get away from Thailand this time of year, otherwise stay home. Two years ago during Songkran I signed up for here and 'Facebook' to relieve the boredom!

Of all my years here, I've yet to understand where there isn't a set group of days in all of Thailand for this holiday.

Say... April 12 - April 15, in every city. That would be fantastic.

Does anyone know why it's on different days around the country? Can't think of any other holiday that does that.

Of all my years here, I've yet to understand where there isn't a set group of days in all of Thailand for this holiday.

Say... April 12 - April 15, in every city. That would be fantastic.

Does anyone know why it's on different days around the country? Can't think of any other holiday that does that.

I agree with you, it is puzzling. Makes much more sense to have the same dates all over the country. But even if that was the case it would not make the slightest difference here in Pattaya. The knuckle dragging tattooed morons would still be standing outside the bars a week before with their high powered water guns and a big tub of iced water firing at anybody going past. People riding motor bikes seem to be their favourite target, aiming for the eyes hoping to see them have an accident. A friend of mine was hit last year riding up soi buakhow a week before songkran day, and skidded across the road. The perpetrators were cheering and giving each other high fives! Unbelievable. My friend was very tempted to go back later with a couple of mates and some baseball bats but he was talked out of it when he had calmed down. But sooner or later this will happen im sure. And it would serve them right.

Does anyone know why it's on different days around the country?

Probably to give people a chance to avoid it. If it was on the same day everywhere then you would have to leave the country to be left in peace.

They moan at you in restaurants, hotel lobbies, bars and on Thai Visa. That is bad enough. kA3luSGY67561993.gif

Thaivisa is a place that can be easily avoided....:P

Assuming one is not addicted. There's a few who would probably suffer more avoiding Thaivisa than walking around soaking wet during Songkran.

Actually, there are plenty of positive posts on here, but no way to block the hateful ones..

Any post giving factual information about Songkran week is a good post. It's good to know what is going on and what can happen. I'm sure we've all learned from these Songkran threads.

Anyone seen splashing water in Pattaya yet?

good question

thanks for that

as that is the point of this thread

i have not seen any yet (yesterday sunday night)

and that is in the thick of pattaya

please report here

ps i am not a kiljoy

i think songran is great fun

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY IT

i have also heard tomorrow the 12th as the start

Chiang Mai started in earnest this afternoon. How about Pattaya?

Yes, told there was guys at Beach Road end of Soi and 8

Well it was dry on beach road this afternoon, although I dint go down soi 7 or 8.

Edited by kevkev1888

Darrel, I like the way you write :D

In Chiang Mai Songkran is supposed to begin on the 13th but they blasted me in the face today (11th) while riding my motorbike :realangry: