Media Players

SteeleJoe

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MK802+ is sold for $39.99 on internet with free shipping to Thailand.

$130 is overkill for such entry level android usb stick.

Higher end devices are $60 to $70.

You quoting prices for a memory stick with android on it or a media player with av outputs?

Please post an eBay link you backup your claim that they are to be had for 40 shipped

MK802+ is sold for $39.99 on internet with free shipping to Thailand.

$130 is overkill for such entry level android usb stick.

Higher end devices are $60 to $70.

Actually... I just had a look at those and they seem pretty cool. Of course you need a storage device as well as an input device but I'm amazed at how much they can pack in such a small device these days.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121013641086

You are still looking at $50-$60 for a stick one as if course you will need some sort of input device for it cause what good is it without even a remote?

Still looks cool. What you're paying more for is Ethernet connection, faster proc, remote, more memory. All those things can be important with a media player.

Certainly the 30USD models would have a hard time playing the media I throw at it. Proc too slow.. the dual core model i just posted might handle the xbmc for android. But the one for 130 is quad core and will certainly handle it.

Even my android phone has much more power than that 30USD version and I can plug my phone direct into hdmi as well for 1080p output.

You get what you pay for and the longer you wait, the cheaper it gets.

Edited by Jayman

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/In-Stock-MK802--New-Version-Android-4-0-Mini-PC-IPTV-Smart-TV-Box--Allwinner-A10-DDR3-1GB-RAM-4GB-ROM--Better-Than-MK802-307558.html

$39.99 plus Singaporepost tracking shipping from China.

They also have $61.99 one with external antenna and more usb slots. Check out other models.

As I mentioned, that model is the 1st or 2nd generation of that device and will not be sufficient to even use the android xmbc app. There is not enough proc power for it. You will need a min of their newer 4th generation dual core model and even then I'm not sure it's enough to do the job.

here is a fresh to topic where this is being discussed

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=64467&p=285843#post285843

Kind of sounds like none of the android based devices are ready for prime time yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time though. I'll be watching as in sure my next media player will be android based. My current nmt that I hand carried from the US still suits my needs just fine.

Edited by Jayman

As Jayman pointed out, I doubt these stick computers have enough processor power to be useful, but the geek value is incredible!

Another problem with all these Chinese Android knock-outs is complete lack of post-sales support. I doubt there are going to be any updates available, and with the speed and level Android is developing these days it effectively would mean a 3-6 months usable life span for these gadgets. Rather pay a little more and get a device with some support, either by the manufacturer or the hacking community.

• Like 1

As Jayman pointed out, I doubt these stick computers have enough processor power to be useful, but the geek value is incredible!

Another problem with all these Chinese Android knock-outs is complete lack of post-sales support. I doubt there are going to be any updates available, and with the speed and level Android is developing these days it effectively would mean a 3-6 months usable life spam for these gadgets. Rather pay a little more and get a device with some support, either by the manufacturer or the hacking community.

I own 3 or 4 of these devices and they can all play 1080p video, youtube, 1080p games etc... it's not like resolutions are going to go up any time in the next 3-4 years. The amount of these boxes/sticks they are selling, its likely the community will be where to go for updates if they become necessary. The great things about some of these is that they can be powered through your TV's USB port so use minimal power.

The ones with AMlogic chipsets can also play nicely with XBMC and one of the manufacturers or OEM companies is actually the main sponsor of XBMC, so it's likely that it will fork off in that direction considerably.

Another problem with all these Chinese Android knock-outs is complete lack of post-sales support. I doubt there are going to be any updates available, and with the speed and level Android is developing these days it effectively would mean a 3-6 months usable life spam for these gadgets. Rather pay a little more and get a device with some support, either by the manufacturer or the hacking community.

I own 3 or 4 of these devices and they can all play 1080p video, youtube, 1080p games etc... it's not like resolutions are going to go up any time in the next 3-4 years. The amount of these boxes/sticks they are selling, its likely the community will be where to go for updates if they become necessary. The great things about some of these is that they can be powered through your TV's USB port so use minimal power.

The ones with AMlogic chipsets can also play nicely with XBMC and one of the manufacturers or OEM companies is actually the main sponsor of XBMC, so it's likely that it will fork off in that direction considerably.

Thanks for your input. Would you please share your experiences on which if these cheaper sticks we are discussing will handle XBMC without stuttering the playback.

Look for amlogic 8726-m (or m3) cpu for xbmc hardware decoding support.

There is one device with ir remote for 49.99 in geekbuying. But i ordered 39.99 one for its ability to boot linux off the sd card (several linux distris working including ubuntu and fedora)

• Like 1

Look for amlogic 8726-m (or m3) cpu for xbmc hardware decoding support.

There is one device with ir remote for 49.99 in geekbuying. But i ordered 39.99 one for its ability to boot linux off the sd card (several linux distris working including ubuntu and fedora)

http://www.geekbuyin...OUT-303727.html

You mean like that one for $130?

EDIT: ok I see this one as well for much cheaper http://www.geekbuying.com/item/ST-M3-Google-Android-4-0-Mini-PC-TV-Box-Amlogic-8726-M3-Cortex-A9-1-5GHZ-DDR3-RAM-1GB---4GB-ROM-w-Wifi-3D-Games---Black-306964.html

Edited by Jayman

Thanks for your input. Would you please share your experiences on which if these cheaper sticks we are discussing will handle XBMC without stuttering the playback.

I've just got them but will be focussing solely on xbmc, My Amlogic box was $80 delivered and is about the size of an AppleTv

I've just got them but will be focussing solely on xbmc, My Amlogic box was $80 delivered and is about the size of an AppleTv

Would you be so kind as to post a link for the $80 box you mention? Thanks.

I also remember seeing Amlogic android box size of Apple TV 2/3 in somewhere.

It could be in

pandawill.com

everbuying.com

geekbuying.com

focalprice.com

lighttake.com

It may not say amlogic or aml8726 in title, I'll let you know if I see it again.

However, Amlogic TV stick for 48.99 is much cheaper and can run same xbmc.

There was no external antenna in $80 amlogic box.

• 2 weeks later...

Chinavasion seems to have 3 new Amlogic Android boxes (not tv stick, fully featured box) starting from $75 usd.

If anybody wants, it seems like a good.

Although I'm not big fan ot Android TV boxes, they do support VPN which you can use it to connect your vpn account at HMA / StrongVPN etc to watch your hulu / netflix.

Chinavasion seems to have 3 new Amlogic Android boxes (not tv stick, fully featured box) starting from $75 usd.

Although I'm not big fan ot Android TV boxes, they do support VPN which you can use it to connect your vpn account at HMA / StrongVPN etc to watch your hulu / netflix.

You don't need VPN, check overplay smartdns (google it). Works a treat, and it automatically takes care of the traffic that requires it, everything else is business as usual, not slowed down by the VPN.

• Like 1

I hear that the latest xbmc for android releases solves a lot of the playback stuttering issues.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

There is still no hardware decoding support for other chipsets than Amlogic. They use external player (mx or dice) to provide smooth video playback in XBMC.

You don't need VPN, check overplay smartdns (google it). Works a treat, and it automatically takes care of the traffic that requires it, everything else is business as usual, not slowed down by the VPN.

Overplay's an interesting service... Seems that they're offering two different services...

a $9.95 a month package that includes both a traditional, multi-country VPN service along with their Smart DNS service, which looks a lot like the Unblock-US service that involves re-routing your DNS traffic (but not your content) thru their designated DNS servers (but no encryption).

a $4.95 a month service that is just their Smart DNS service, but no VPN.

The DNS approach clearly is going to be faster than a VPN approach for video streaming. And it also can be enabled on I assume almost any wifi router, which means you can have that access across your entire wifi network, regardless of the devices being used, including those that don't have their own settings for proxy or VPN.

However, like Unblock-US, it also seems from reading a bit that their SmartDNS service doesn't work on all websites. For example, on their own website, there's some user comment indicating that it doesn't work for ESPN sites. But it sounds like it does work for sites like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, etc...

Lately, after Witopia dropped what had been their very good subscription U.S. proxy service, I've been using GetFoxyProxy, which similarly provides a U.S. proxy service for $54 a year. After some initial tinkering with which server address they assigned my account, it's turned out to be fine for PC-based video streaming -- much better and faster than VPN alternatives. It also integrates very well for anyone using the Mozilla Firefox or Aurora.

The upside is the service works with any and all websites, and includes both a browser proxy setting and a PPTP VPN service that can be used on other devices such as Android tablets and smartphones, where the PPTP VPN will work even on apps as well as the various web browsers. The downside is the proxy/VPN approach typically can't be set-up on a normal wifi router, which leaves out non proxy/VPN capable media players/devices.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Another advantage of Overplay compared to Unblock-US is that they have proxy servers in many countries - and selects the appropriate proxy automatically, i.e. you want to watch streaming TV from Denmark it automatically uses a Danish proxy for that. AFAIK Unblock-US only have proxy in US.

You're correct in all you need to do to get it to work is use their DNS servers. I think the way it works is their DNS server then route your requests for listed services through their proxy servers - so you're still using a proxy server, it's just more transparent, particularly if you're going to be using it with different countries.

• 3 weeks later...

Big C sells a couple of android media players branded "U BOX android", the U-333 at 2990 baht, and the U-777 at 4990 baht. These come with IR remotes, but they seperately sell a 2.4 ghz air mouse model U-111 at 1690 baht.

These prices are high for underpowered players compared to geekbuying etc, but what the heck, I bought the U-777 and air mouse to replace an NMT used with an old analog TV in the bedroom. This unit has:

Cortex A9 single core 1Ghz

Mali 400 GPU

1G ROM

WiFi with external antenna

Ethernet

HDMI

Component and composite analog AV out

Optical and coax digital audio out

4 USB ports

SD slot

Internal SATA drive support for a single HDD either 3.5" or 2.5"

Android 4.0.4 with Google Play store

I had to exchange the first unit after a few days when the video out died, so that is not so promising. This is not a polished product, maybe "not ready for prime time" (you have been warned!) but here are some of the things I have done with it so far:

Installed NFL Gamepass and watched live and archived games

Plugged in 1TB desktop HDD on SATA

Streamed video in and out on LAN

Played full HD video on HDMI fine

Plugged in USB camera and made a Skype video call

Plugged in an old bluetooth receiver, paired up a Wii remote, and played Super Mario 3

Played Angry Birds with air mouse

Tried standard USB keyboard and mouse - works

Hooked to HDMI, component, and composite - works

Hooked to PC monitor with HDMI/DVI adapter -works

Downloaded a torrent

Installed dropbear, SSHed into it

Airdroid, Splashtop, etc work fine

Installed XBMC, internal player stutters on HD content, spawning external MX player works but glitchy

Youtube fine

Streaming live TV is questionable, NFL Gamepass and Al Jazeera are fine, but everything else I have tried is unwatchable

It identifies itself as an "M3 Enjoy TV" box so maybe it's a rebranded Geniatech. I can't find anything online about U Box. It comes rooted, there are some things missing in the android file system and menus that I usually expect to see, so guess it has been modified quite a bit.

A dual core would help this thing a lot, going to be interesting what devices like this are coming soon, having a lot of fun playing with this one.

It seems you have paid too much for something unknown, with no firmware support other than custom rom cr*p.

Airmouses start from $22 in Geekbuying. For $99 you get quadcore android box.

I just bought MK808 for $49.99 from promotional price, its about to Arrive thailand in a few days (singaporepost yay!)

Problem with these devices are they don't support 1080p. User interface is always 720p and videoplayback also in 720p, which is upscaled to 1080p if you choose 1080p in HDMI out.

With new firmwares, they are fixing this problem, but don't expect this fix on all devices.

I have an AC Ryan Playon HD...put a 2tb HD in it it's great...store all my music on it and play it through my stereo.

My music concerts and music videos are in it as well.....plays great HD on my TV.....has 2 USB ports so if I want to watch something I downloaded quick just copy to my USB and away....also have an external 2 TB hard drive with stuff I add to all the time......it's easy to use everything goes in folders from my PC....a mate got one in Australia for $150 ...I saw some a few weeks ago in Tuckom Pattaya....4500 bht (no hard drive).

The thing is easy to use.....idiot proof.

• 3 weeks later...