Chalerm's Son To Contest For A House Seat

webfact

Guys, I want to just say this and I'm done:

After working with the elite Thais I came away disgusted with the way they treat the less fortunate as well as their arrogance, rudeness and supreme demands for entitlement and special treatment.

Rich people everywhere can be more or less like that, but in Thailand I found it unbearable and seriously out of line with any notion of fairness or even kindness.

I don't care if it takes Atilla the Hun up uproot them. God can sort it out later.

And I don't disagree with you - all I'm saying is that PTP are as bad or worse than the opposition, not better. We have a different flavour of "Elite" in charge now, that's all. People who think the poor will benefit from this change of hats are deluding themselves.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaoyang - mate, I've worked with these elites too, sitting with those who are easily identifiable as 'red' and 'yellow'. Your description is pretty apt, but the 'elites' aren't restricted to non-red.

The reds are full of them, and in my opinion, stacked full with more of the distasteful types. They are playing to win, and playing for keeps. And when they have kicked out those who you define as the elites, they turn around and piss from upon high those who support them.

Just you watch.

Yingluck this afternoon appointed Chalerm to be the Director of the National Drugs Suppression Centre.

No word yet, if Chalerm's Son will be appointed to help him again.

For further clarity, Chalerm's son was reinstated in the Army on April 23, 2008 as a Second Lieutenant with his father who was the Interior Minister in Samak's Cabinet at the time. That was his rank at the time when "someone" shot Police Sergeant-Major Suvichai Rodwimud in the head at point blank range on October 21, 2001. He had to be reinstated because he had been dishonorably discharged for desertion in 2002, as he had fled an arrest warrant for Rodwimud's murder.

quote:

Interior Minister: Son's Reinstatement in Army Justified

The Interior Minister adorned his son with a Second Lieutenant epaulet this morning at his residence, insisting that his son's reinstatement is legally justified.

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung revealed that he adorned his son, Duang Yoobamrung, with a Second Lieutenant epaulet this morning at the auspicious time of 8:19am at his residence.

TAN Network - April 23, 2008

unquote

Just over 2 months later, and as a Major now, Duang was appointed by his father, the Interior Minister Chalerm, to be a member on his special Interior Ministry group, the Interior Ministry's Drug Suppression Committee, which sought to revive Thaksin's War on Drugs.

Interior Minister appoints his son as Anti-Drug Committee Member

The Interior Minister appointed one of his sons as a member of the special committee to tackle drug problems.

Major Duang Yoobamrung, the son of Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, was appointed to work with the Interior Ministry's Drug Suppression Committee, which is a special unit that supports operations to reduce drug problems.

The official letter of his appointment was signed by his farther, the Interior Minister himself, on July 4th, 2008.

[/size]

TAN Network - July 5, 2008

Whatever you want to think of Thaksin he has been a catalyst for some changes that will never be undone. The mass now realise their electoral power and a paradigm of class based conflict has replaced the old one of known and accepting position within a unified entity. I doubt Thaksin ever really intended all of this when he set out but partly by accident, partly by later design when ousted, partly by alliance and partly by ridiculous mistakes of his enemies it has not just come about but bizarrely resulted in Thaksins fortunes becoming intertwined with the democratization of Thailand, which. is probably something that horrifies his more liberal minded opponents

If it is all about who has the most money, why does the side with the most by a long way, and those willing to outspend Thaksin 3 to 1 according to the Dems Korn keep losing elections even after they change the constitution to create constituencies more vulnerable to vote buying.

The problem is that the old ways dont work any more. The vote buying fails. The old style PR of master-slave imagery no longer works. The old behind the scenes links to powerful people is an encumbrance. The old style use the local officials and ministry characters to suggest who to vote for no longer works. The old style clean leader at the top of a rotten party no longer hides the rotting corpse below. And those at the top telling the ordinary people that someone is evil and must be rejected just makes him more popular and helps create an (probably false) notion that he is really one of us and our fight and his fight are the same. Those who keep losing really need to get their act together in the new paradigm as it aint going back and its a diservice to just keep repeating the mistakes and allowing one party to totally monopolise the electoral landscape even when they have no control over a single lever of power. Who knows how well they will fare when they have control over the levers when the next election comes along or if the levers are even neutral.

One should remember that Thaksin, at the time of coup, was a caretaker Prime Minister, stalling calling an election, and thus, had less legitimacy than the local ampur dog catcher.

Hi samran

Your comments would have a little more credibility if they were accurate.

Shortly after the 2006 election was declared invalid - a new election was called and set for 15 October 2006 -- This election date was affirmed by the signing of the royal decree on July 20, 2006.

Some weeks before these elections were due to be held ..... Thailand received the benefit of yet another coup ( #18 since 1931)

One should remember that Thaksin, at the time of coup, was a caretaker Prime Minister, stalling calling an election, and thus, had less legitimacy than the local ampur dog catcher.

Hi samran

Your comments would have a little more credibility if they were accurate.

Shortly after the 2006 election was declared invalid - a new election was called and set for 15 October 2006 -- This election date was affirmed by the signing of the royal decree on July 20, 2006.

Some weeks before these elections were due to be held ..... Thailand received the benefit of yet another coup ( #18 since 1931)

I do seem to recall there were a few election dates announced, and all of them pushed back for one reason or another. The 15th of October date would have been pushed back again from memory. Below is an extract of some analysis. See towards the bottom of the section titled "The King intervenes – the Constitutional Court nullifies the election"

On 15 August, the Senate established a special committee to scrutinize the shortlist of candidates sent to it by the Supreme Court. The committee was given 20 days to fulfill its task. Consequently, the new ECT would not be in place on 24 August, the day when the amended Royal Decree ordering the election to be held on 15 October would come into effect. It is therefore probable that the election day will have to be postponed.

Basically that is my memory.

Whatever you want to think of Thaksin he has been a catalyst for some changes that will never be undone. The mass now realise their electoral power and a paradigm of class based conflict has replaced the old one of known and accepting position within a unified entity. I doubt Thaksin ever really intended all of this when he set out but partly by accident, partly by later design when ousted, partly by alliance and partly by ridiculous mistakes of his enemies it has not just come about but bizarrely resulted in Thaksins fortunes becoming intertwined with the democratization of Thailand, which. is probably something that horrifies his more liberal minded opponents

<snip for sake of brevity>

Hammered, I think you summarized it very well.

Thaksin's machine set in motion the release of long pent-up desires for some sort of fairness among the underclass. While they are taught to be cowed (greng jai) before their superiors, in the modern age with the internet and slowly increasing education, it is hard for the good old boys to continue their smoke and mirrors and demand almost superstitious obeisance.

I think you're right that Thaksin likely had no long-term plan to be the poster boy for empowerment of the poor (although that is indeed his political platform), but happily an unlikely convergence happened -- he has a ton of money and decided to tap the backing of the poor (the long neglected majority) by making promises to actually do something for them, and they believe him.

It could be they are so boxed in that any new option is better than the ones they've been given throughout the history of "modern" Thailand. They don't have much to lose. I'd gamble on Thaksin too.

So Chalerm's the nak laeng (hard man or hit man) of the moment. As I posted earlier, Thai history is replete with these characters, who are even given a grudging admiration. I hope he can get the jobs done (it appears he has many).

I would hope the egregious Sondhi and his PAD are included as a high priority.

I am sure the press will have a field day with this one. Unless of course they are intimidated, threated with advertising removal, journalists disappear without trace, etc, like what has happended in the past.

Don't you feel that organised crime has infiltrated society so badly that they have bought there way into running the country? Or maybe Thai people just like bad people, just like some girls just love bad boys?

<snip for sake of brevity>

Hammered, I think you summarized it very well.

Thaksin's machine set in motion the release of long pent-up desires for some sort of fairness among the underclass. While they are taught to be cowed (greng jai) before their superiors, in the modern age with the internet and slowly increasing education, it is hard for the good old boys to continue their smoke and mirrors and demand almost superstitious obeisance.

I think you're right that Thaksin likely had no long-term plan to be the poster boy for empowerment of the poor (although that is indeed his political platform), but happily an unlikely convergence happened -- he has a ton of money and decided to tap the backing of the poor (the long neglected majority) by making promises to actually do something for them, and they believe him.

It could be they are so boxed in that any new option is better than the ones they've been given throughout the history of "modern" Thailand. They don't have much to lose. I'd gamble on Thaksin too.

So Chalerm's the nak laeng (hard man or hit man) of the moment. As I posted earlier, Thai history is replete with these characters, who are even given a grudging admiration. I hope he can get the jobs done (it appears he has many).

I would hope the egregious Sondhi and his PAD are included as a high priority.

Why would anyone need to get a hard man on to Sondhi and the PAD? All rather ominous sounding? Or are elected thugs your thing?

Chalerm and his sons is just a reminder how blatantly cynical PT are. Fortunately, this hubris is also going to be the making of their downfall...again.

Some dog catcher. Say what you will, the guy has proven himself to be a brilliant strategist.

I too was sick and tired of his arrogance and endless hubs and crackdowns, but after what ensued -- and when the reasons for the coup became clear -- I knew Thaksin really had the old guard rattled.

I for one think the old system has to be rattled and modernized. He is far from the perfect choice to do it, but then people like Ghandi come around once every five generations. Thaksin's the one in position, so let's get on with it.

Ghandhi? That's satire right? Either that or you were immediately struck by lightening after posting.

Apologies, I misread your post.

Edited by lannarebirth

By "brilliant strategist" I mean he was swept into power through his own strategy to begin with, deposed by vested interests, then able to engineer a comeback while abroad even with extremely powerful forces arrayed against him. That doesn't mean he was a great administrator.

He kicked the door down and shook up the multi-generation patrician elite who have used Thailand as their own fiefdom. He's crass, arrogant, often ill-informed and dangerous. But he kicked the door down. That is the most important first step in trying to bring some rationality to the economic structure of Thailand. The forces of change are now in play. It ain't pretty, but who is naive enough to think it would be?

His comeback has little to do with his brilliance as a strategist and more with hiring enough PR firms to orchestrate a (fairly successful) perception management campaign in Thailand and abroad.

Correct. That and the willingness to sacrifice / take the lives of others who do his bidding.

Why thugs at all?

Ya, I know, but if you look all the way back to the Auytthaya period you will see that governance in Thailand has an unbroken history of extreme measures.

People just don't know how to play nice. Today there is a patina of modernity to the underhanded, often violent, struggles for power, but it is still there. It is not really a democracy at all, but factions of strongmen battling for the power, and most of all, the perks.

If it takes a Chalerm and a Thaksin to give the majority at least some hope for a voice, then so be it.

Why thugs at all?

Ya, I know, but if you look all the way back to the Auytthaya period you will see that governance in Thailand has an unbroken history of extreme measures.

People just don't know how to play nice. Today there is a patina of modernity to the underhanded, often violent, struggles for power, but it is still there. It is not really a democracy at all, but factions of strongmen battling for the power, and most of all, the perks.

If it takes a Chalerm and a Thaksin to give the majority at least some hope for a voice, then so be it.

Yes, but if you go all the way back to the Ayutthaya period Thaksin would not only be gone, he'd be dead. As would several circles of relatives and other co-conspirators.

Why thugs at all?

Here's a prediction for you. The red shirts will eventually split from PTP and tell them to jam it. And THEN they'll have a voice.

Yes, but if you go all the way back to the Ayutthaya period Thaksin would not only be gone, he'd be dead. As would several circles of relatives and other co-conspirators.

Can't really comment specifically because of a component that cannot be discussed.

But throughout European history there have been usurpers who prevailed and founded new dynasties, Henry VII comes to mind. His circles and conspirators were not eradicated. Of course that wouldn't happen in modern times, but the Ayutthaya kingdom was not in the modern era.

Here's a prediction for you. The red shirts will eventually split from PTP and tell them to jam it. And THEN they'll have a voice.

One step at a time ... perhaps you're right. Ideally Thaksin would be discarded once he has served his purpose.

What a delicious thought.

Why thugs at all?

lol @ you describing this guy as some kind of political strong man because he physically held someone down who was shot in the head. nice moral compass you have there.

Edited by farang000999

lol @ you describing this guy as some kind of political strong man because he physically held someone down who was shot in the head. nice moral compass you have there.

I believe you're talking about one (or more ) of his sons.